Need some help for an El Wire bike project

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken up bike riding this year. Most of my riding is done during the day on my days off. While I prefer to ride while the sun is up, that is not always possible. My first thoughts when I received my bike were just to ride and ride hard, like when I was a kid. Times are different now though and I've accepted that safety should come first.

My concern is visibility from the sides when I ride at night. While I do have reflective tape applied to my bike's frame, and a few Spokelit's attached, I am always looking for improvement upon what I already use. This is where I'm hoping I can give El Wire a try.

I think I've read that kits can be purchased, or one can put together the entire build if they are technically inclined (unfortunately, I am not).

Hoping to find some input and tips on someone who has put El Wire on their bike. What I'd like to do is have 3 sections of lighting to look something like this:

55050.jpg

I do have some questions though: Battery type/inverter used depends on the length of wire correct? Is this the total length (cumulative) or just per strand? Do any of the ready made kits allow for more than one wire, or is this something that would have to be custom built (diy)? How would one attach everything to the frame? I was thinking something like clear zip ties but was wondering if there are any other methods? Also, aside from El Wire, is it possible to use any LED strips?

BrianMc

Enlightened
Side visibility is important as 70 percent of car-vehicle collisions are from the side. The serious ones happen more at night.

My body eclipses the frame, light strips down the forks will likely affect my night vision, and the rear triangle shows up after I do at intersections if I don't have panniers hiding them. I wasn't impressed with the light output on the wires, but maybe they have improved.

I am not pooh-poohing the idea. More visibility is better. I have this thread on another forum. You might find it of interest. There is some discussion of lighting the road up to be seen better here. Whatever works, but what we think looks good up close often doesn't work nearly as well for drivers. Of course it helps if they aren't texting. ;(

BrianMc

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery type/inverter used depends on the length of wire correct?

The inverter needs to be strong enough to run however many feet of wire you connect to it. It will try to light a longer piece but won't have the strength to bring it up to full brightness. Since EL isn't all that bright in the first place, you want to be able to run it at full power.

The various inverters are designed for various inputs, just find one that takes a battery setup you find convenient. You might use rechargable batteries on the bike, have two sets, swap them between bike and charger as needed.

Is this the total length (cumulative) or just per strand?

You are looking at the total number of feet/meters that you are trying to light. How you arrange them doesn't change their power draw.

Do any of the ready made kits allow for more than one wire, or is this something that would have to be custom built (diy)?

I used to have a driver that you could plug various wires into as you chose. They must still be out there.

How would one attach everything to the frame? I was thinking something like clear zip ties but was wondering if there are any other methods?

Glue. Tape. Bolts. Magnets. Wind it. Strap it. Macrame it. The tape don't care.

Also, aside from El Wire, is it possible to use any LED strips?

You might actually do better with LED because you don't need an inverter. LED can be daytime visible, EL not so much. Run some strips of 5050 SMD LEDs down the tubes on either side, plug in and go.

I should mention that what you drew is what would be visible if you wrapped EL *panels* around the tubes. The wire would just look like a pinstipe. There are little two-AAA battery holders that come with a piece of EL wire hanging off the end*. You put in batteries, turn it on and you're good to go. It's like a Rave in a can. :party: :rock:You might get a couple of them just so you have something cheap to experiment with, try different colors, mountings, see what you like. One mounted next to the front axle with the wire winding its way out through the spokes should give you good side visibility.

*This guy on eBay has some (Don't know him, just know he's got the stuff)

Last edited:

Latest posts