Brands other than Fenix?

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix PD31 was my first nice light, followed by the TK35. I've been very happy with their build quality and light output, especially for the money. My question is should I start looking at other brands? I've had good luck with Fenix so far, and I've read great things about 4Sevens as well. I don't know if I've really got the budget for Surefire lights, especially since their lumen output seems to be lacking compared to some of the competition. I EDC my PD31 and I love it, do I have a reason to check out some other brands, other than just to buy them and experiment?

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I have an Olight SR51, a couple of Dereelights and 2 Sunwaymans inbound, all excellent build quality but the Olight and SWM are a bit better than the Dereelight in fit and finish but not performance. IMO it can be the coolest looking light on the planet but if the UI and output sucks it won't get used except for decoration.

LGT

Enlightened
The Fenix PD31 was my first nice light, followed by the TK35. I've been very happy with their build quality and light output, especially for the money. My question is should I start looking at other brands? I've had good luck with Fenix so far, and I've read great things about 4Sevens as well. I don't know if I've really got the budget for Surefire lights, especially since their lumen output seems to be lacking compared to some of the competition. I EDC my PD31 and I love it, do I have a reason to check out some other brands, other than just to buy them and experiment?
If you're happy with what you have right now, then you should be in no hurry to buy another light. Take your time and really think about what you plan on using your next light for. Looks like you're already off to a good start with the PD31 and TK35. Use the google search, CPF only for any questions you may have about different lights.

Csp203

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights are a little like drugs (from what I'm told). The first really good light you by is the best feeling in the world, on man this is great. The lights you buy after that are still great, but the feeling is not as intense. Fenix makes great lights, so do the other companies that have been around awhile.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the same general price range as fenix...
i like.....
malkoff. peak, zebralight, sunwayman...

there have been many new makers this year. but ive yet to try most, or any of them.

AaronG

Enlightened
I started on Fenix too. I think Zebralight is my favorite for utility and the Sunwayman V series is a sweet flashaholic light (not sold on the V20C though).

If you need a headlamp then my first stop would be Zebralight for sure!

bruintennis

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF too and bought a Fenix LD20 in October/November. It's a great flashlight and it's amazing how much light the little LED can put out!

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Is there a Surefire model that is similar to the Fenix PD31?

It depends what you mean by similar. Surefire has many lights that take 2 x CR123 batteries, but you are not going to find as many modes as you do with the Fenix. For the most part a multi-mode SF will give you a high and a low. It looks like a PD31 is about $70, for a little more you can buy a SF 6P LED or G2 LED, but those are single mode lights. You can get the multi-mode capability if you use a P60 size drop-in.

Out of the box, I would say that SF does not have a light similar to the PD31, but one can be put together.

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
It depends what you mean by similar. Surefire has many lights that take 2 x CR123 batteries, but you are not going to find as many modes as you do with the Fenix. For the most part a multi-mode SF will give you a high and a low. It looks like a PD31 is about $70, for a little more you can buy a SF 6P LED or G2 LED, but those are single mode lights. You can get the multi-mode capability if you use a P60 size drop-in.

Out of the box, I would say that SF does not have a light similar to the PD31, but one can be put together.

Will the SF be similar to the PD31 as far as output? I'd hate to drop $150-200+ on a light with lower performance, just because it's a tad tougher.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would sit back and wait a while,once they start using Lipo batteries lights as we know it will be history,they can make a Lipo fit the light unlike how it is done now.

But you could be waiting a while but would not be surprised to see a few out in 2012.

swan

Banned
Sounds like its time to get the zebralight sc600- 107mm long, 750 lumens, great ui- a must have for all flashoholics.

00ChevyScott

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like its time to get the zebralight sc600- 107mm long, 750 lumens, great ui- a must have for all flashoholics.

But its only 750 lumens for what? 2 minutes? Seems more like a gimmick to me. I'm sure its a nice light but I'd really like longer runtimes out its brightest mode. I know it kicks down to 500, but how long can it hold 500 lumens for after kicking down from 750?

g.p.

Enlightened
Got a "data base error" message and a double post!?!?! :confused:

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
I find that I only need max for a second or two at a time to look at something specific. The run time on the lower modes is amazing, and with so many levels, you won't end up using more battery than you need. I just took mine to Mexico for two weeks. Used it for walks every night, and as a night light for the kids almost all night, every night. I brought four extra batteries and never used any of them. Plus it fit in my pocket and my camera case. Amazing light.

Funny story - We were at a Christmas performance/dinner and it was too dark to see our dinner. I gave the SC600 to Grandma on low mode, but she tried to turn it off and kicked it into high. Despite two guys on stands shinning spotlights at the stage, everybody looked at our table to see what the heck had started lighting up the stage like daylight! :devil:

Other than Fenix and Zebralight (SC51 and SC600 are must haves), the lego-able lights from Solarforce are fun to play with. They mix and match, and are priced really good for the quality IMO.