Surefire KT1 versus KT4 turboheads?

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
Will the same bulbs fit both of these turboheads or are the dimensions different?

Here's what I was thinking - Malkoff has introduced the MD60 that fits in lights such as the M3T and M4. I currently have a KT1 on a 9P (3 cell body). I'm wondering if I can buy an MD60 and use it in my current set up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
Actually, I was just reading some old CPF posts that stated the bulbs (N1, MN16, etc.) are all interchangeable between the KT1, KT2, and KT4 turbohead assemblies...as long as the bulb matches the proper number of cells for voltage requirements. So I'm thinking this will work.

It seems as though the new Malkoff MD60 should work in a KT2 with a 6P body. I just ordered one, so I hope it works.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KT1 and KT4 THs can use the same tower-style lamps -- incan or LED. The KT1 and KT2 kits use the same TH -- just a different incan lamp included with the TH.

The main differences between the KT1 TH and KT4 TH are:

1) KT1 collar fits the "classic" series of SF lights like the 6P, 9P, G2, etc. The KT4 collar screws onto Millennium lights.
2) The KT1 TH uses a single piece shell/reflector (i.e., the reflector can't be removed). The KT4 TH has a separate shell and reflector, with the reflector cushioned within the shell by a shock absorption system.
3) The KT1 TH has superior heat sinking capability vs. the KT4 TH. The KT4 TH's shock system isolates the reflector from the rest of the TH, compromising heat transfer to the rest of the TH and elsewhere (e.g., flashlight body, your hand, the ambient).

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
Cool, then my plan should work. Can't wait to put it together and check it out! :naughty:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KT1, it is on a C2 with det ring and 3x 16340 setup with the MN60 from my M4.
The bulb focuses perfectly.

DO IT.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
what summer clearance??? I've been looking for them forever, everywhere i went it said discontinued.
that's one of the reasons I cerakoted my M4 with SW01. I couldnt find a KT1 in the same finish. for a C2.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
what summer clearance??? I've been looking for them forever, everywhere i went it said discontinued.
that's one of the reasons I cerakoted my M4 with SW01. I couldnt find a KT1 in the same finish. for a C2.

I remember browsing a US dealer and they where on clearance for dirt cheap ... maybe $60 - $80, I dont remember the exact amount

AR_Shorty

Enlightened
I think LAPoliceGear had them as part of their big clearance sale. No longer though.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was scouring the net for about a year for one. LAPG had the KTfor the 8ax and 9commander IIRC. No more for the C/G/P and for a while too.
Oh well, to whomever has a KT kicking around, know that you can safely use it with MN bulbs :D

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 KT1s on Leef bodies and any of the Surefire towers fit. I have the Malkoff MD60 in an M3T. The M60 is exactly the same size as the KT4 Surefire towers. You should have no problem. The LED is exactly centered and in the sweet spot. You'll like it! You should have not problem with MNs either.

Last edited:

cenz

Enlightened
I'm also wondering to order MD60, and considering the focusing whether fit or not for older SF THs, anyone konw/tried?

If not perfect focus, adding shims is fine "OR" I'm afraid to CUT the metal to focus...

Latest posts