Jetbeam III-M 5R problems.

Matt20874

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Jetbeam III-M 5R based on the reviews here. I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one for one of my vehicles. I received the 2nd light last week. Two days ago I put in fresh energizer 123 batteries in both lights. Now both lights function inconsistently. Often times the light doesn't come on at all, or on low and its difficult to get the high beam on at all. The problem seems to be centered on the switch that controls the high/low function but I could be wrong. Often times just jerking the light will get the high beam to come on or off.

The first set of batteries I had in the original light were energizer 123 photo lithium batteries with the blue accents. These worked fine. I can't understand why these would work and regular energizer 123's would not.

Are these a defective light issues or battery related.

Thanks

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a possibility these batteries are slightly shorter causing a bad connection. If you have the old batteries try those again. Another choice is to stretch the spring a little, but be careful not to damage anything.

twicksisted

Newly Enlightened
Cant you contact the retailer you purchased them from? send them back under warranty for repair/replacement?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Initially, I would try cleaning all the contacts between the various parts, and makign sure everything is tight. It's not uncommon for parts to shake loose in transit - particularly the tail cap switch.

Matt20874

Newly Enlightened
Long story short, after talking with customer service they gave me one more idea of something to check. The switch in the tail cap is held in by a threaded retaining ring. Using a Channel Lock split ring plier tool, I removed the retaining ring, took the switch out, blew it off and reinstalled it tightly. This seemed to fix both lights. I suspect the retainer ring was loose in both lights and could've been fixed just by tightening it.

In closing I hope this helps someone figure out their problem.

Thanks
Matt