looking for a certain flashlight

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i have been looking for this flashlight for a couple of years i have very little information on it,not even a brand name,but i have seen it in movies most notably jurassic park[it is a big light with a square bottom and a curly cord that runs from the back of the light to the back of the box]

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe that is the MaxaBeam.

maxabeam.gif

Doesn't the MaxaBeam have a 'characteristic' "hole" in the beam at the very narrow setting?

Any ideas what else it could have been?

By the way, the MaxaBeam is not the brightest Portable Spot/search light. That's reported to be the PlasmaBeam, but know one has one, and no one can get one...yet.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the Jurassic Park lamps too- they`re not MaxaBeams. The X-Files use MaxaBeams or something similar. It`s been a while since I saw it but I think those Jurassic Park lamps had a belt-pack battery and the lamp itsself had a cylindrical body with handle at a right angle out of the bottom. The front half of the cylindrical body- at the bulb end- was translucent and my best guess was that they used a 50mm MR16 dichroic lamp. At least- that`s what it looked like to me, it may be something totally different.
I think we have it on VHS somewhere, not sure but if so, I may go for a look and snap a video still if I can.

Still, they look pretty cool and I`d love one myself- hope they`re not the same cost as a MaxaBeam.
shocked.gif

(Are the people who make MaxaBeams watching....want to have your light reviewed?
wink.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
no? OK it was worth a try!!)

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, someone look through the credits in JP, they probably mention who makes the lights, under the special thanks section....

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
As I sit here waiting to be corrected, I feel in my defence, I must point out that MaxaBeam do make a belt battery pack too!

Before I went to New Zealand after Love and well... Love, I was considering either a new PC or a MaxaBeam. I still have the same old PC, I have no MaxaBeam, and no Love.

But, I have a current girlfriend, and more SureFires than I can hold at once. So Life, as they say, moves on!

That film Godzilla had MaxaBeams in it, but also some SureFire 9N's...

So what's this Jurassic Park light then?!

Al

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well guess what`s on TV tonight? And yes, as a true light-addict, I was watching out for the flashlights and remembered about this old thread. The video capture system was running too so I managed to take the following still, from eariler on in the movie just before they got chased in the jeep by the T-Rex....

<center>
jp1.jpg

<font size="1">copyright (c)1993, Universal City Studios, inc and Amblin Entertainment, inc.</font>
</center>

So, yes they did use MaxaBeams in JP- but I was right about that other light too. Later on- when she goes to turn the power back on and gets chased by the Velociraptor- there is another light with a belt pack battery- it`s cylindrical with a pistol-grip handle and the end surrounding the bulb/reflector is translucent. Looked like a HID but they might just have filtered it cool-blue to get that neat looking effect.
But typically of course I wasn`t paying attention when that part came on and didn`t get to the PC in time- d`oh! So sorry, no still of that one- and still no idea who makes that light either.

I looked closely at the end credits and didn`t see any references to MaxaBeams or other familiar flashlight manufacturers though it did go by a bit fast.

I have too much time on my hands and not enough to do, don`t I?

shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
shocked.gif
Guess what I watched too?!

mad.gif
Pesky kids get to play with a MaxaBeam... No fair!

The other light that Laura Dern uses, trails behind her as she runs out of the power shed, and leaves behind trapped on the other side of the door looks like no searchlight I've come across. Naff beam quality I though.

I watched JP only cos I'm watching the 2nd on Sunday, and seeing the 3rd in the Empire Liecester Sq on Monday so I'm in the mood for Dinofodder!
grin.gif

BTW Mr S.L. Jackson is about the coolest guy on the Planet.

Al
grin.gif

Latest posts