nitrolon vs aluminium

roguesw

Enlightened
Is nitrolon more scracth resistant than aluminium? Also, if it is less conductive, will it feel less cold in your hands or in the pockets?
Cheers
Des

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will feel less cold in your hands or pockets. It's not electrically conductive. It can be said to be more scratch resistant because it can fold itself back if cut, so the scratch won't be so obvious.

robo

Newly Enlightened
It is more resistant....I dropped my Nitrolon 8NX quite a few times and there isn't any scratch at all....and it is not worn off by using it with the plastic combat-holster. Aluminium lights, even if Type 3 hard-anodized, get worn off by these holsters after time. Nitrolon feels quite warm in your hand even in cold weather, it seems to be a good isolator...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nitrolon is my preference, but not many choices. Ken at strategos will be working on some polymer lights.
icon14.gif
grin.gif

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
THe Nitrolen is lighter compared to the 6P etc..., about 50% cheaper based on Surefire MSRP, similar function(except dun try to use the R61 bulb as it might melt the bezel), scatches are less prominent compared to aluminium, warmer as its a poor conductor of heat/ electricity....my 2 cents

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by tkl:
nitrolon is my preference, but not many choices. Ken at strategos will be working on some polymer lights.
icon14.gif
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same here. I'm really looking forward to the Strategos lights both polymer and aluminum.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i really prefer metal...in fact, all my lights are metal.

this is probably because i once had a lightwave 4000 and it always got scratched...nitrolin is much better...but i still prefer metal.

the main advantage of nitrolin in my opion is the ding protection and the extra shock protection. it is also lighter, which is nice.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should start designing some polymers that can withstand the heat of those high power bulbs. Mabye have a type of plastic that can withstand 300 degrees celsius and not soften. Given the technology these days, I don't think it should be too hard. Just wondering why they didn't do it already.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've used P61 in my field-testing of the G2Z-BK and have P61's in my G2Z-OD and G2Z-BK.

I have never experienced any damage to Nitrolon from heat. Please can you show me the links to threads that have this highlighted because it has passed me by.

My 8NX-BK has been used constant-on for loads and loads of house-hold tasks and gets very hot. Neither then Lexan lens nor Nitrolon body has been damaged as a result.

With regards to Aluminium v. Nitrolon - I prefer Nitrolon for it's impact resistance and general warmer, easier to grip texture.

The "E" Series of flashlights are too thin for Nitrolon however, and these SureFire do feel great to hold with their aggressive HA Knurling.

Nitrolon has the disadvantage that it does not conduct heat as well as Aluminium, nor can it be crafted as finely as Aluminium from what I gather.
With today's high-tech flashlights - with their Luxeons and electronics, dealing with heat is vital. Polymers do not appear to be good enough to beat Aluminium just yet.

Al

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember some carbon nano tubes that conducts heat super well... Size15s, I was refering to the lens. High temp resistant plus super clear light transmission.. woo hoo... gotta wait...

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by Size15s:

I have never experienced any damage to Nitrolon from heat. Please can you show me the links to threads that have this highlighted because it has passed me by.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This had to have been written with a big grin on someone's face -- there is no possiblility that Al has missed any such discussion and I'm certain he has the hard won test results to dispel any mythology.

With respect to the "E" series, I can't see much of a need for Nitrolon -- they do feel great to hold and I suspect the weight advantage might not be as noticeable. Is the thiness problem because the thiness would extend over the entire length of the light -- the Nitrolon in the "waist" section of the G2Z seems pretty thin.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2 gains much from it's tube of metal lining the insider of the Nitrolon body. I would be happy to subject one of my G2's for the driving over by a heavy motor vehical abuse test. In fact, I'll see if I can get this done.

Al

nihraguk

Enlightened
i did mention in another thread that i know of a G2 that had its bezel deformed due to heat, but i haven't seen it personally.

i think the warmer weather here might have aggravated the problem, which is why those of you living in countries with generally colder climates don't encounter this problem.

since the weather is warmer here, i don't really need the nitrolon for its non-heat-conductive properties. i have to agree though, that surefire's nitrolon lights don't feel "cheap". i got to handle a G2 a while ago and it had no flex or give whatsoever, and felt very sturdy. still, i have trouble spending almost $100 for a G2 or $130 for a G2Z, for what is essentially a plastic flashlight. this is just personal preference though, so YMMV.

Skyline

Enlightened
Originally posted by nihraguk:
still, i have trouble spending almost $100 for a G2 or $130 for a G2Z, for what is essentially a plastic flashlight. this is just personal preference though, so YMMV.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah yes, it sucks to have to pay so much overhead by purchasing overseas. I purchased my G2Z for only $57.99 + shipping ($5?).

Here though, the G2Z is a real bargain.
smile.gif

Flyin' Ute

Newly Enlightened
Apologies for the necropost, but wrt to the nitrolon vs. aluminum question, I'm wondering how nitrolon holds up in very col weather conditions, like down to O° F or colder? Would it get brittle and shatter if dropped in those conditions? Would an aluminum light fare any better?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum is excellent in the cold, in fact its tensile strength increases as it gets colder. It doesn't get brittle unlike plastics and certain steels.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies for the necropost, but wrt to the nitrolon vs. aluminum question, I'm wondering how nitrolon holds up in very col weather conditions, like down to O° F or colder? Would it get brittle and shatter if dropped in those conditions? Would an aluminum light fare any better?

I have never heard of any Nitrolon failures due to cold weather. I don't think you have anything to worry about with 0°. Nitrolon rocks! :rock:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum is excellent in the cold, in fact its tensile strength increases as it gets colder. It doesn't get brittle unlike plastics and certain steels.

I am not sure what you are saying here. An increase in a material's ultimate tensile strength without a change in its composition necessitates a reduction in the material's ductility.