Garrity...glow in the dark

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I have a Garrity 2d flashlight with a GITD body. I'd like to fit it with an LED and add it to my "collection"I'm aware of drop-ins for P60 sized lights, and MagLites, but never saw one for a standard 2d household light.Does anyone make them? What info do I need about my Garrity to get a correct drop-in?

GaAslamp

Enlightened
If your old Garrity 2D flashlight uses a standard PR flange-type bulb (has a wide flange with a notch in it), then there are a number of compatible LED replacements. Here are some examples:

TerraLUX TLE-1F - 40-50 lumens, 2-6 cells (3-9 volts), 1 watt cool white power LED (I think)

Nite Ize LRB-07-PR1W - ditto--seems rather similar to the TLE-1F with regard to specs and performance

Dorcy 41-1643 - 30 lumens (on fresh cells), 2 cells (3 volts), looks like an overgrown 10mm LED on steroids (apparently has six dies), not sensitive to polarity, quite efficient, inexpensive

The only one of these that I have any experience with is the Dorcy 41-1643--I picked one up for cheap at a hardware store, just for kicks. The tint of the beam is...interesting. :thinking: I want to say that it has a very high color temperature, almost violet, but it has some yellowish qualities as well (all pretty uniform, too). Despite this it's usable, works well with reflectors designed for PR bulbs (beams look the same but more uniform), and renders colors OK for a cool white LED and substantially better than a typical 5mm LED when I compare them side-by-side. The claim of 30 lumens seems accurate for fresh cells, although in my limited testing it doesn't decline a whole lot over the first 24 hours even in a 2xAA flashlight (longer in a 2xD flashlight), which means its efficiency is good even when compared to more sophisticated LED flashlights.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The GITD body would make for a great power-outage light; if it does indeed accept PR/Maglite bulbs, you might look into the NiteIze 10mm LED drop-in for Maglites, often found at your local hardware store. These have a modest output with a quite blue beam, but will run for ~80 hours without dimming, perfect for long-term outages.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. The ENTIRE body glows...it's pretty cool.

It's a one-piece molded housing, so even the end glows. Glows all night too.

I will look into these inserts, and thanks so much for the quick info!