ZebraLight H600w

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too.
if it blinks off after 5 minutes on high,
someone's gonna find a zebra head between their sheets..

Glock27

Enlightened
It shipped already!
I believe they have the same driver as the SC600 which step down and not off like the SC series.

G27
Expected Delivery By:
January 6, 2012

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shipped already!
I believe they have the same driver as the SC600 which step down and not off like the SC series.

G27

Looking forward to reading your impressions of this light.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
if it blinks off after 5 minutes on high,
someone's gonna find a zebra head between their sheets..

It shipped already!

Yes...they step down, not off. At least, the H600 is that way and it's hard to picture the H600w being any different.

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
Q: Did your H600w come with a headband and a belt clip, or just a headband?
Mine only came with a headband+holder.
This pic of an (old) H60 shows that model also came with a belt clip:
http://light-reviews.com/zebralight_h60/0.jpg
Edit: Item description says it only comes with the headband holder; no belt clip.
I miss that belt clip.

The tint is less-white than my H60w, and less white than my SC600.
There's no color change at all from center to off-center, like my SC600 has.

I use my headlights really just for very close-up work, so I really like the H60w's flood.
In the summer I use an H60w with the belt clip for nighttime walks.
I had bought a H51Fc; the color + rendering is very good, but not immediately so, it takes some time to look
at things you've been looking at to notice the difference. The amount of H51Fc light was kind of low, and
I've been very used to the energy a 18650 battery has in it so was feeling I had to change out the H51Fc's
Eneloop AA a little often.
My first thought of the H600w was it threw light too far. I don't have a use for that. Or, I have one
use for that: summer nighttime walks.
However, two layers of Scotch magic transparent tape fixed that, plus it has plenty of horsepower to
put out too much light at 18 inches if I want it to. I found I like either the low of the high setting or the
high of the mid setting. The tint is close to the H51Fc. But, there's something just a little more in
the light of H51Fc that isn't in the H600w. It's just a feeling that something more is in the H51Fc that
isn't in the H600w, but I can't quantify it. You can't really tell shining it on a white surface, you have
to use it on something you've been using it on regularly, and switch between using one then the other.
In my case, it's balancing a checkbook (very small writing) and reading small printing.

Last edited:

Glock27

Enlightened
Well, I'm waiting for Lillian to issue me an RMA as this light is going back. The tint was great, the output very impressive and the fit and finish was superb…..but this light leaks water. I had used my new light for a walk in the woods. After I came in, I gave the light a good cleaning with soap & water in the kitchen sink. The light was at or below room temperature when I got it wet. I then put a fresh Panasonic 3100 into my freshly cleaned light and started a stopwatch to record some runtime tests. When I came back into the room, I noticed heavy condensation on the "sealed" side of the glass.
I immediately opened the light and drove over to my office and picked up my vacuum pump. I do HVAC work and a vacuum pump is used to remove air and moisture from Freon piping. I put the H600w into a peanut butter jar with a ¼" fitting brazed into the lid. It took ~15 minutes until all condensation disappeared from the head of the light. The dry light could now be run, in air, without condensation forming.
The following day I again submerged the light in the kitchen sink. After a 5 minute soak, the light turned on, but the switch was unresponsive. I had to unscrew the tail cap to turn off the light. The switch is now intermittent. I think moisture must be leaking in around the switch.
I made contact and informed them about my light. I was expecting a reply with an RMA, but got this:
"Staff (Administrator)
1/9/2012 7:45:45 PM The condensation can be formed when the light is hot and washed with cold water."

Well I have replied that the light was not hot and condensation forms after the light is submerged every time. We'll see what happens. Just my luck, they're showing Back Order on the website.

G27

fnsooner

Enlightened
Thanks Glock27 for the heads up. I was about to order this. I will now wait and see if you just got a bad light or if this is a common problem.

spelunkik

Newly Enlightened
I received mine a couple of days ago. I am also concerned that this light might have waterproof issues. I am a caver, where it's quite easy for a light to get wet, and I usually lightly rinse my lights to clean them. So, my lights must be waterproof to a certain degree.

Does anyone recommend that I place my light in a bowl of water to see what happens? I'd rather find out if it leaks now instead of later after the warranty or whatever it's called has passed. Maybe I should contact Zebralight and ask them if the light fails the bowl of water test then can I get a replacement or refund? If they said no, then obviously I wouldn't try the bowl of water test, just in case it leaked.

Glock27

Enlightened
All of my lights get a wash and submersion test in the sink before I use them much. I always clean and check the threads and O-rings and lube them up with faucet grease before I test them for waterproofness.
Your light would be covered under warranty if it fails the "sink" test..
G27

spelunkik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response.

By the way, do you have any idea where the water might have been getting in at?

Glock27

Enlightened
There wasn't any water noticeable in the battery compartment. It had to have entered from either the lens or switch seals. I have several SC60's which have the same type of seals and have not had any problems swimming with these lights...they spent hours lighting the bottom of our pool as our "pool light" failed at the first of the season.

G27

dafeichu

Newly Enlightened
I'm excited about this light but the condensation issue doesn't sound good. They describe it as "Waterproof to IPX8 (2 meters, 30 minutes)". I need a headlamp for work and one that fails with a bit of water is no good.

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.illuminationgear.com/

has 1 h600w and 5 h600 left. I just now called them, and they told me what they had, and immediately ordered a h600w

hopefully I won't have moisture issues, and if I do I don't mind engineering them out meself. I won't be using this in wet too much

Last edited:

Glock27

Enlightened
I received my replacement today. I was concerned that I had not gotten any acknowledgement that they had received my light back and had sent a replacement, especially since thier web site showed "Back Order".....all in all, good service, but poor communication. We shall see how this one fares with the kitchen sink test.

G27

Last edited:

Glock27

Enlightened
I'll know more in a few hours. Time for a hike along a field and through the woods....and then a nice bath.

G27
P.S. The 600w's are showing "In Stock" right now.

Latest posts