Fenix TK70 in 3 Cell Config

clarkeeuk99

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

As I'm sure some of you know, the Fenix TK70 is capable of running in a 3 D cell config.

Now I understand that the torch cannot sustain Turbo mode for long without 4 Cells, but is it likely to be able to run consistently in high mode? Also, is the fact that they don't even state in the manual that it can run in 3 Cell config because it could cause damage to the batteries or something?

Thanks,
Phil.

syntax

Newly Enlightened
From what I've read it sounds like the TK70 will run just fine with 3Ds. However, obviously it won't hold turbo mode. I have mine on order and plan to run it in 3D config once I find 2 good 32600 li-ion protected cells and a spacer.

JudasD

Enlightened
i'm new to CPF. Came here trying to find the best OMG light. I think i am going to snag a tk70 as well and run the two 32600 configuration. the question i have is if you do run the 3D config will you be allowed to cycle between all of the modes? if you are in Hi and want to get to low you need to go through turbo first. If you batteries are low this would keep you stuck in Hi-mode correct?

Thanks,
JD

shipwreck

Enlightened
I love my TK70, but I ordered it with 4 D rechargables and a charger. I've never tried running it in 3D mode. Really have had no reason to

357mag1

Enlightened
I tried both of my TK70s in the 3 cell mode. They appear to work and cycle through all 4 modes but both had a high whine coming from the electronics. I decided that couldn't be good for it and went back to the 4 cell mode on one and 5 cell on the other. 5 cells drops the current low enough to give over 2 hours of runtime (theoretically, not tested).

I have run two 32700 Li-Ion cells and a spacer in both lights and both lights functioned fine. I've used two 26650 IMR and LiPo4 cells which worked fine as well.

I did note my older TK70 always starts in Turbo mode after removing and replacing the tailcap while the newer one starts in low. Can anybody else confirm there was a change from the initial TK70 circuitry?

JudasD

Enlightened
I tried both of my TK70s in the 3 cell mode. They appear to work and cycle through all 4 modes but both had a high whine coming from the electronics. I decided that couldn't be good for it and went back to the 4 cell mode on one and 5 cell on the other. 5 cells drops the current low enough to give over 2 hours of runtime (theoretically, not tested).

I have run two 32700 Li-Ion cells and a spacer in both lights and both lights functioned fine. I've used two 26650 IMR and LiPo4 cells which worked fine as well.

I did note my older TK70 always starts in Turbo mode after removing and replacing the tailcap while the newer one starts in low. Can anybody else confirm there was a change from the initial TK70 circuitry?

How did you run the 5 cell mode? did you use a second extender?

How much run time did you get with the LiPo4 cells in turbo? Where they 32600 or 26650?

I sure hope the one i order starts in low. That would be my preference. <fingers crossed>

Thanks,
JD

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
My Tk70 manual does say it can run with 3 cells but with shorter runtimes.

357mag1

Enlightened
How did you run the 5 cell mode? did you use a second extender?

How much run time did you get with the LiPo4 cells in turbo? Where they 32600 or 26650?

I sure hope the one i order starts in low. That would be my preference. <fingers crossed>

Thanks,
JD

I have a TK60 and never run it in the 4 cell configuration. The extender is identical and I use it.

The Lipo4 cells I used were 26650s with some PVC around them to fit properly. If I remember right the current draw was just below 6 amps which would give a runtime of about 30-35 minutes.

The TK70 will start in whatever mode you last used unless you remove the tailcap which removes the trickle of current that is always running to the electronic switch circuitry. When that happens the TK70 will start up in the default mode once the tailcap is replaced. I was just noting that my older TK70 defaults to the Turbo mode and my new one starts in low.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TK70 due to be delivered tomorrow. I wondered if the 3 cell configuration was for 3 1.5v alkalines for 4.5v total and the 4 cell was for 4 1.2v NIMH for 4.8v. I will probably run the light with 4 NIMH rechargeables.