No more big leaps in single led tech?

fishx65

Enlightened
Seems like it's been a long time since I felt the need to upgrade my lights. Has tech slowed down when it comes to LED's or is there just no where else to go in regards to single LED output. Don't tell me my Manafont XML dropin is the end of the road!

Shooter21

Enlightened
I wish more companies like Nichia, Osram, Seoul, etc would start designing new LEDs to compete with Cree since it seems like Cree is the only one pushing the envelope.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think about it LED efficiency per mm has only been increasing relatively slowly since the XR-E was released. The XP-G and XM-L LEDs only give more lumens as they are designed to take higher currents (and also have slightly lower vf). CREE may have a 5 amp capable single-die LED in the pipeline if they keep going as they have been just making bigger LEDs with slightly greater efficiency, but the slow incremental increases in max flux bin of the small die XP-E are the most interesting developments at the moment.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading just yesterday, though I have forgotten all the details, about a new and more efficient high voltage LED for use in outdoor lighting. It managed more output for lesser current input than the previous generation. I think that there are probably more improvements than we realize, but because they aren't necessarily workable for a portable light...don't get as much attention.