Question, what do you do?

rgs3

Newly Enlightened
Just getting into the flashlight arena as I just purchased a Fenix LD20 and TK45, and I can already see a very very unhealthy habit forming lusting after more lights.

So my question is; What do you do? Do most flashlight junkies have actual use for these lights for work use and day to day use? If so, whats your job?

OR

Are you just like me, not actually NEEDING lights, but for some reason want to light the world at night for no apparent reason?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
not actually NEEDING lights, but for some reason want to light the world at night for no apparent reason?

The term for this is "flashaholism"; you'll find the majority of the people here don't actually need a light for their occupation, rather it is an instinct and addiction. But a flashlight is still a tool - if there's a 50% chance of rain, you'll take an umbrella with you when you go out, yet there's a 100% chance it will be dark tonight..

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Just getting into the flashlight arena as I just purchased a Fenix LD20 and TK45, and I can already see a very very unhealthy habit forming lusting after more lights.

It may be unhealthy for your finances, but it's very GOOD for anybody who was born to be a flashaholic! :naughty::devil:

So my question is; What do you do? Do most flashlight junkies have actual use for these lights for work use and day to day use? If so, whats your job?

I guess you could say that I've used flashlights for work. I'm a software engineer working for a small company that has no IT department or contract, so I do much of that work on the side--upgrading and installing computer hardware, maintaining the network, and stuff like that. Flashlights (and sometimes headlamps) often come in handy when I'm poking around behind the racks, under desks, and inside cases. I only have to do this every so often (or else we'd hire some IT guys to do it instead), but it's work-related (critical, too) and involves flashlights. I just use my versatile little ZebraLight H51c, which I EDC anyway (including when I'm at home, where I often work as well).

At home, I use flashlights for all kinds of tasks--not constantly, but probably a few times a day on the average. I suppose that I don't HAVE TO, but then again I don't have to use my eyes for most tasks, either, but vision makes them easier and more efficient, and likewise in certain situations flashlights make vision easier and more efficient. :) Ironically, perhaps, I don't tend to use a lot of light for the vast majority of tasks--just the bare minimum that helps. The point, in my view, is to get enough light to exactly where it's needed, not to blast out as many lumens as I can (although that's sometimes fun, too ;)).

OR

Are you just like me, not actually NEEDING lights, but for some reason want to light the world at night for no apparent reason?

If you like flashlights, then I don't see the harm in using them instead of other lights, or just because you feel like it (as long as you're considerate of others, that is). I do this sometimes myself because tools can be fun to play with. :grin2:

rgs3

Newly Enlightened
The term for this is "flashaholism"; you'll find the majority of the people here don't actually need a light for their occupation, rather it is an instinct and addiction. But a flashlight is still a tool - if there's a 50% chance of rain, you'll take an umbrella with you when you go out, yet there's a 100% chance it will be dark tonight..

Good point! Its good to know I'm not alone and there are others like me who cant really justify acquiring these ridiculously bright and awesome flashlights, well more than one or two anyway.

Oh, and I just ordered the Fenix TK41....may my wife have mercy on me when she finds out. :naughty:

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
you think you have a problem??? ........try being me, LOVE flashlights but HATE walking around at night with one.. have this issue with being all lit up an lettin everybody know where im at so 90% of the time outside i use a red lense ..................im messed up lol .............btw i have a TK35 that should be here tomorrow go figure ........

varmint

Enlightened
I raise livestock and use lights every day and night in all weather rain or shine and usually carry 2. I am very much a user of lights and love lanyards.
Larry

jamie.91

Enlightened
I love the word used in post 2, "instinct", pretty much hits the nail on the head, I've liked lights and lasers since I was to young to appreciate them.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

OR

Yes I do need a light for my job. Some days I don't use a light, other days I'll use one for a couple of hours. I could probably get by owning just three lights - small EDC, larger thrower and a headlamp, but there's more to it than that.

As well as a need for my work, flashlights are an affordable hobby. Where else can you spend $150 and have cutting edge technology in the palm of your hand. Where else can you be that is above and beyond what the masses have for such a small entrance fee.

I've had people comment on how bright my EO1 is, then I pull out the Quark AA2 Tactical and they are dumbfounded that so much light can come from such a small object.

Then I say excitedly, "Oh, I have others WAY brighter than this one at home!" At which point they give you the 'look' and you realise it's time to move on.

My advice is this - Save yourself a bunch of money and walk away now. The two lights you have are more than adequate for lighting any situation that may arise, but, you will need a single cell EDC, and a maglite with a super high output dropin (just to show what a maglite can become), a Malkoff or two and a couple of loaner lights so you're not giving your good lighs to those who don't appreciate them.

foldinghunter

Newly Enlightened
Yup, just like you! I work nights, have for 25+ years. But I work indoors and only occasionally need a light for looking for material outside. I was using a Rayovac 2AA penlight. I decided to get a better light and settled on a Jetbeam BC20. Do I NEED this much light? Of course not!!! Sure will be fun lighting up the whole area on a whim though! I liken it to the whole EDC pocketknife thing. I carry a $225 retail Spyderco folder. Do I NEED this nice of a knife to cut the occasional string or cardboard? Of course not! And I know my coworkers would give me a funny look if I told them I am using a $50 flashlight as much as they would a $225 knife. That's their choice. Expensive face-melting flashlights, scary-sharp carbon handled knives, fine cigars, single malt scotch, Rolex watches... Some things are easily replaced with MUCH cheaper alternatives, but I'm only gonna' live once and I'm gonna' enjoy it!

Last edited: