Sunwayman L10A on 14500? WOW!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Sunwayman L10A arrived from Lighthound. As soon as I opened it up I fed it an AW 14500 Lion. WOW!
I had it on HIGH, placed it on a table for a few minutes and when I returned it was HOT. I am glad I saw it's rated to 4.2 V so I know it can handle the load.
Its my first Sunwayman and I am really glad I splurged at the end of the year and spent the $$$. I read that it has a 4 lumen low on NiMH or AA alk but nowhere near that low on a lion:devil: The more I look at this light I am starting to wonder why I didnt get it sooner.:thumbsup: I'll switch for NiMH or lithium AA sometime but for now lion powers this latest edition to my collection.

anybody have experience with the L10A on 14500?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, AA lights rated to 4.2 volts rock with a 14500 cell!

Here's mine which arrived today from a HK vendor through Ebay. Popped in a 14500 right away! 460 lumens baby! :) This might replace my Quark AA w/14500 but i dont want it to ever get scratched!
img00078201201051247.jpg

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
good pic with the box. 460 lumens WTG!!!! I see 110 on the box. life seems to get better at 4.2 volts/14500
The L10A says 140 on the box. I wonder how it scores on 14500. those numbers on the V10A T-6 are most impressive.
My L10A seems to lose that low low 4 lumen setting at 4.2v. no big deal
I knew the AW 14500 would be a good idea. I wonder if an IMR/14500 would be any brighter.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Wait, I am a bit confused. V10A? Or L10A?
I thought the L10A was the angled one. This is a very nice light.

Off Topic. Quick Question.: Is MR better the AW? Seen allot of post on it lately.

Last edited:

iron potato

Enlightened
I love my (also my first SWM) V10A XM-L :party: I switch between PowerGenix NiZn & AW 14500 :thumbsup: Impressive little flashlight !

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
good pic with the box. 460 lumens WTG!!!! I see 110 on the box. life seems to get better at 4.2 volts/14500
The L10A says 140 on the box. I wonder how it scores on 14500. those numbers on the V10A T-6 are most impressive.
My L10A seems to lose that low low 4 lumen setting at 4.2v. no big deal
I knew the AW 14500 would be a good idea. I wonder if an IMR/14500 would be any brighter.

Hehe, if you look at the semi-blurred text under the "Max 110 Lumens" there is "Up to 460 Lumens when use 1*14500's" the 110 Lumens is when its on regular AA's.

Your L10A's R2 led could probably punch up to 315 lumens, which i think is the max of the XPG line of LED's. (correct me if im wrong, too lazy to check the detailed specs so sue me! haha)

I'll try comparing if the lowest setting of the V10A is the same with a 14500 or a regular AA and will report it to you.

Since the voltages are identical, i doubt if you will see any significant change in brightness.

What im looking to score is some high capacity 14500's, with these come better runtimes! :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, I am a bit confused. V10A? Or L10A?
I thought the L10A was the angled one. This is a very nice light.

Off Topic. Quick Question.: Is MR better the AW? Seen allot of post on it lately.

Hello AM! :) Its about tsask's L10A! Was just really happy about the V10A which arrived today hence the photo in the ealier post! tee hee! :)

Yes angled lights are very useful, especially if you want to go hands free with it.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my (also my first SWM) V10A XM-L :party: I switch between PowerGenix NiZn & AW 14500 :thumbsup: Impressive little flashlight !

you and me both, bro! :) my first SWM too! Though my V10A has a big brother incoming: SWM T20CS. :) I would have gone for the T40CS, but the Olight M3X is a much better thrower.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I need to add the V10A when time and money permit. I appreciate the 300 lumen info on my L10A, THANKS!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ref the Sunwayman V10 - there is NO reverse polarity protection. :thumbsdow Speaking from experience: it was too dark, the cell ran down, and I inserted a new cell - backwards. snap/crackle/pop = dead. The head fried with no repair possible - both the dealer and Sunwayman said no to any repair or even a replacement of the head if I pay. I suppose the cost of a new head is greater than a new light, sooooo, the $$ for the V10 are toasted. Now after being returned from the dealer, the V10 sits in it's box doing nothing. :( Unless I read reports that Sunwayman changed it's design practices, I will not purchase another Sunwayman light again. grump.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
Next time you need to replace the battery in the dark and you put the battery in from the top, feel for the button (+) with your index finger then you will know that the bottom (-) is down . Of course if you install the battery from the bottom and you feel the button (+) with your index finger just turn the battery over to where you feel the flat part (-). I've installed many a battery in the dark with no problem. I'm sure you can too. :thumbsup:
Ref the Sunwayman V10 - there is NO reverse polarity protection. :thumbsdow Speaking from experience: it was too dark, the cell ran down, and I inserted a new cell - backwards. snap/crackle/pop = dead. The head fried with no repair possible - both the dealer and Sunwayman said no to any repair or even a replacement of the head if I pay. I suppose the cost of a new head is greater than a new light, sooooo, the $$ for the V10 are toasted. Now after being returned from the dealer, the V10 sits in it's box doing nothing. :( Unless I read reports that Sunwayman changed it's design practices, I will not purchase another Sunwayman light again. grump.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next time you need to replace the battery in the dark and you put the battery in from the top, feel for the button (+) with your index finger then you will know that the bottom (-) is down . Of course if you install the battery from the bottom and you feel the button (+) with your index finger just turn the battery over to where you feel the flat part (-). I've installed many a battery in the dark with no problem. I'm sure you can too. :thumbsup:

Correct! SWM assumes users know how to insert a battery properly. Even with eyes closed and gloves, you'd still be able to find the positive and negative terminal of your battery.

Probably just a DOH! moment. haha....

iron potato

Enlightened
you and me both, bro! :) my first SWM too! Though my V10A has a big brother incoming: SWM T20CS. :) I would have gone for the T40CS, but the Olight M3X is a much better thrower.

Arghhh, u got me bro, I'm so torn between T20CS & T40CS.... but I would like to have T40CS, I think it throw further than TK35, but also depends on SWM future products too, drooling over M11R :) I do hope SWM comes out with new 4x AA version, maybe a V40A perhaps ? :naughty:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arghhh, u got me bro, I'm so torn between T20CS & T40CS.... but I would like to have T40CS, I think it throw further than TK35, but also depends on SWM future products too, drooling over M11R :) I do hope SWM comes out with new 4x AA version, maybe a V40A perhaps ? :naughty:

The Olight M3X will beat the T40CS. :) It's the king of throw! (among the ones without aspheric lens) T40CS will beat the TK35 definitely as the beam is more concentrated. Yeah the M11R will be something. Well, depends on how many lumens this V40A is when it comes out, chances are its a cross between throw and flood to appeal to more people than just us who are interested in throw. :)

Last edited: