help... Streamlight: Stinger? HP? Ultra? (for car)

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to buy a Streamlight rechargeable to keep in my car but have some questions about the Streamlight rechargeable lights. Are all the batteries NiCD? Can you get a NiMH or Li battery for the Streamlights so I don't have to worry about the %*&@!! memory on NiCD's?

I know the UltraStinger is the brightest. Should I just run with that knowledge and get the Ultra? Or, are other models better? If so, why? Help me decide.

Also, I remember a while ago seeing a post on the best light to carry/keep in a car. I know lithiums are probably the best way to go so I don't have to worry about the batteries dying, etc. Can anyone help me find that thread?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight rechargables are the best out there, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I would get the stinger as it is the most compact and easy to store/carry. If you have a spotlight in your car or you don't forsee needing far throw I wouldn't bother with the US.

When I had my sl20 I would just bring it up every 4-6 weeks and charge it overnight.

I had an US and wasn't too impressed. If you want NiMh get a tigerlight.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why weren't you too impressed with the US?
Can you get NiMH on Streamlights?

Have you run into problems with any "memory" on the Streamlight sl20?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd get a TigerLight 8" for the car - compact and bright.
Are you going to mount the charger in the car connected to the car battery?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
Why weren't you too impressed with the US?

[/ QUOTE ] My dislike was with the focusing, you had a choice between tight spot and ringy flood. Neither I consider very usefull. The throw was not what I expected from reviews here. Rather pathetic IMO and unusable, especially comparred to my sl20 w/sl35 lamp or Tigerlight.
[ QUOTE ]
Can you get NiMH on Streamlights?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't know.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]No. I think it's more of a myth or problem with early NiCd's.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I'd get a TigerLight 8" for the car - compact and bright.
Are you going to mount the charger in the car connected to the car battery?

[/ QUOTE ]I'll actually agree with Al on this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif SL or TL will be a wise choice. Give some more thought of what you want/need.

I keep a Pila G4(4x123a) in my truck with extra lithiums for my L4(edc) AND the Pila. If my rechargable craps out I'm SOL as it takes too long to charge and the cold doesn't zap lithiums.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I won't be mounting the car charger. I would most likely charge it inside.

If I remember correctly, isn't the throw better on an US than a Tigerlight?

I've heard of Tigerlight but where's the best place to take a look at the different models/freatures online and buy them online?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
My dislike was with the focusing, you had a choice between tight spot and ringy flood. Neither I consider very usefull. The throw was not what I expected from reviews here. Rather pathetic IMO and unusable, especially comparred to my sl20 w/sl35 lamp or Tigerlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I guess that's the first I recall someone not liking their US. I had only remembered hearing all the good things about it like how well it threw, the nice beam, etc.

Tell me more about your "mod" using a sl20 with a sl35 bulb. Is there any work involved or is it a straight swap? Would I need a different battery than what comes in the sl20? Is this brighter or longer throwing than the US or do you just prefer it? --More info, please -- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]No. I think it's more of a myth or problem with early NiCd's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that...the new NiCD batteries I've used on my Black & Decker VersaPak tools use new NiCD batteries and they still have a memory..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you plan on using the light for? Is it merely for if you have a break down or will it be used as a tactical light? If it would be used for a break downs i.e. flat tires of engine problems I would think a Stinger would suffice. I have the Stinger XT/HP and it comes with two rechargable battery sticks. I also own the UltraStinger and it is super bright. I also own the TigerLight (11") and it is a wee bit brighter but the UltraStinger. The UltraStinger will out throw the TigerLight only because the UltraStinger has a more defined Hot Spot. But if you just need a car light for break downs etc because of it's size the Stinger I would think would more than suffice.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think my UltraStinger is the worst waste of £100 I've ever made on anything. My TigerLight kick's it's butt with ease. In terms of beam throw, the TigerLight I have puts out a more solid intense useful beam then the UltraStinger. Both throw about the same but the TigerLight is more powerful.

ChrisM,
Think about it! tkl and Size15s agree on something - we both can't be wrong. Right?

I was under the impression that Dan was the best person to get a TL from. I got mine direct.

Al

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned that the light will be charged up inside rather than have a charger in the car. It might be wise to get a back up lithium with a supply of batteries. A Pelican PM6 or a SL Scorpion are both cost effective back ups or if money is not an object how about the SF L4 which is regulated and would serve well...

I have not had any memory issues with my Stinger rechargables, none whatsoever. Even the instructions that come with the flashlights and are also posted on their web site clearly states that one does not have to completely drain their rechargeable prior to putting a full charge on them, it is simply not necessary.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For a backup light, I'd pick a UKE-2L (in fact, I did pick a UKE-2L and carry it in my rucksack since I don't got no wheels at the moment.)
It was one of those flashlights like the P-Tec Rage (4AAA bulb) that Brock told me to get and by heck! I do whatever Brock tells me to.

The TigerLight should be able to sit in your car without being used much for longer then a NiCad flashlight. This is important to me as I do the opposite that you plan to because I don't have an AC charger - I charge the TL in a car and keep it inside!!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I think my UltraStinger is the worst waste of £100 I've ever made on anything. My TigerLight kick's it's butt with ease. In terms of beam throw, the TigerLight I have puts out a more solid intense useful beam then the UltraStinger. Both throw about the same but the TigerLight is more powerful.

[/ QUOTE ] Holy crap! That's two things we agree upon. The apocalypse is near.

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM,
Think about it! tkl and Size15s agree on something - we both can't be wrong. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that Dan was the best person to get a TL from. I got mine direct.

Al

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Could this be three in one day? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tell me more about your "mod" using a sl20 with a sl35 bulb.

[/ QUOTE ] Just remove the sl20 lamp and drop in the sl35, it's that easy.

[ QUOTE ]
...the new NiCD batteries I've used on my Black & Decker VersaPak tools use new NiCD batteries and they still have a memory..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] There are two problems with this statement, black and dekcer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't know where SL gets their NiCd's but I wouldn't sweat it. SL has been a cop favorite for a long time and still is. If they were that bad we would hear about it.

Keep in mind I neve tested or checked for memory in my SL's, I used them. I also avoided short or unecessary charges. I would leave the light in my truck for 4-6 weeks then charge overnight.

One of the reasons I went with a Pila G4 with lithiums is because my SL ran out of juice one time cause I forgot to charge it. If I had the G4 I could have simply replaced the lithiums.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...I'm already backing away from the US. Charging the light in the car would be nice, but I'll most likely just charge it inside.

Now, this might be a dumb question, but can I get a Tigerlight without any pepper spray? I won't be needing any "tactical" options and I wouldn't want my kids to get a hold of the light.

Screehopper

Enlightened
Re: help... Streamlight: Stinger? HP? Ultra? (for

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
Now, this might be a dumb question, but can I get a Tigerlight without any pepper spray? I won't be needing any "tactical" options and I wouldn't want my kids to get a hold of the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 8" version comes without the pepper spray. The one with pepper spray adds 3" to the length of the light.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey ChrisM, is cost an issue, you never did mention if your purse strings will be tight so to speak...

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes, cost is an issue...I'm kinda leaning toward a Streamlight TL-3 actually....I know, it isn't rechargeable but I like the fact that it takes lithiums.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:
yes, cost is an issue...I'm kinda leaning toward a Streamlight TL-3 actually....I know, it isn't rechargeable but I like the fact that it takes lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good choice, I also have the TL-3 and it is plenty bright, comes with an extra bulb an you won't have to take out a second mortgage to buy a replacement LA. I got the US plus AC Charger for $72 @ www.midwayusa.com, they were running a good sale a couple months back. For about $60 more you can get that TigerLight but the TL-3 will serve you well and you cannot beat the price.