Would anyone here buy an extra EXTRA low output drop in?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure with as popular as the LL m61's are, there might even be a market for a step Lower still. I think I would give up my LLw for an LLL in whatever cct, if the increase in runtime was as much again.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I would buy it.

I have recently come to realize that the ONLY setting I use on my HDS 140 is 0.07 lm. I would love the same brightness (dimness?) in a P60 format.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
My .04 on my Thrunite TI is my favorite. Although sometimes its still too much. That would be great in a P60

Alex

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The only drop-in I know of with an true Low output (without any PWM)
is a rare Dereelight 4SD,..it had an extra level = approx 1.5 lm Low~Low

Have one in 5A tint

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The run time would be ridiculously long, if the price was right, I would buy one to play with. But it would have to be about $20 or less for me. So I am not sure if it is possible. At the moment I don't have a use case, but that is not to say that I won't find one later.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned the M61ll, it was fantastic. A little too bright even. If it were 20 lumen with a 24hr runtime that would have been ideal.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I e-mailed Gene a couple of years back regarding doing a M60LLL, he said that it would be no problem. It sounds like he's pretty amenable to custom work.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay guys...

M61wLLLLLLLL

:mad:

Well yeah something like that could be useful too, maybe a night light with zero chance of user error blinding. But by "extra EXTRA low", my idea was merely extending the regular, L (low), & LL (extra low) concept by ONE more L. LLL, extra extra low.

I figured based on the performance of the LL, an LLL could have something like 50 lumens for 20+ hours of regulation. And the LLL might actually have a legitimate possibility of being made at some point, & remain a single mode. Just one more step. Though I keep forgetting how much everyone likes either absolute maximum or minimal output. I'm just thinking all around general use flashlight with super long runtime.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I e-mailed Gene a couple of years back regarding doing a M60LLL, he said that it would be no problem. It sounds like he's pretty amenable to custom work.

Nice, thanks for the tip. It is a real possibility then.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
How about a GITD tailcap? :)

Has anyone approached Gene about producing an M61WLLLLLLLL ?
:)

One thought here:

I have an M61WL and I can run it on 1xcr123 and a spacer and then it's dimmer than with 2 cells, maybe like 40 lumens.
I have only tried it for a short time, I don't know how runtime is or how brightness would change by time.

Anyway, has anybody tried an M61LL / M61WLL with only 1 cell?
That might give an M61LLL!

If it works, is there any problems / risks anybody can see with this setup?

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
I've long considered making a simple low output p60 using just a resistor. Perhaps its time to dust off that project.
That sounds interesting but wouldn't you lose a lot of electrical energy that is turned to heat at the resistor?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Anyway, has anybody tried an M61LL / M61WLL with only 1 cell? That might give an M61LLL!
If it works, is there any problems / risks anybody can see with this setup?
Yes, that has been posted in a few threads over the past couple of years w/ the M60 series. A single CR123 lithium primary works pretty well.

For all the folks who want an M61LLLLL, try 2xNiMH (not alkaline) AA's with the M61 or M61LL in a 3xCR123 body and post back with the results. :rolleyes:

That sounds interesting but wouldn't you lose a lot of electrical energy that is turned to heat at the resistor?
No, because the overall current is greatly decreased due to the high-resistance circuit. Furthermore, the power dissipated in the resistor is dictated by the following equation: P = I^2 x R.

The SureFire L1, L2, A2, and the McC2S tailcap has been doing this exact thing for many years now. I have a 120-ohm McC2S tailcap (~5 lumens or so from a Malkoff M60) and the runtime from 1x18650 is simply incredible.

----------------------------------

A different route entirely is the following thread:
*Beamshots-Post #36*Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60
Remove the bulb from a SureFire P60 incan lamp assembly and replace it with a 5mm LED (w/ your choice of colors). It does a couple of lumens from 2xAA alkaline or 1xCR123 for 50-100 hours of runtime or so (@ ~25mA direct-drive, give-or-take). I've also tried 2xNiMH and it might be ~0.01 lumens. :shrug:
Vampire010.jpg
Vampire002.jpg

Vampire003.jpg
Vampire2001.jpg
IMG_6789.jpg

Lots of these sorts of things are in the CPF archives, folks. :ironic:

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What about making a host that has a variable control ring built into the body, one that goes down to say .1 lm
...then, all you need is a 1-mode drop-in ~ :devil:

It's not impossible

///////////////////////////////////////////

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would! I'd like to see Gene make an M61XXX (or whatever) @ approx. 30lms that would last maybe 40 - 50 hrs. @ 100%, if that is possible. THE perfect BOB/ emergency light!

My .02 FWIW YMMV