Anyone have any experience of the Fox Fury headlamps?

dougie

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting one and would like some comments from people who own and use them?

Thanks

bnemmie

Enlightened
That surprises me since they advertise applications for hard hats, fire helmets and such.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's strange how little commentary the FoxFury lights get on this forum. I don't understand it.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That surprises me since they advertise applications for hard hats, fire helmets and such.
Cave durability can be a different issue.
Confined spaces mixed with random shaped hard/sharp walls is a different kind of hostile environment to what a fire helmet sees, or even maybe an industrial confined-space worker.

The closest industrial analogue would probably be relatively unmechanised mining.

Personally, the size/shape would be a dealbreaker for me even if the available beamshapes were what I wanted, and the UI gave the various power levels I needed.
Unless it was designed specifically for my helmet, and had good fixings (no elastics) and durable cable, and...

As for the limited number of comments (and maybe the limited number of nonindustrial users) I guess given the semi-niche nature of the lights, even if having a wide light source would actually be real boon for various tasks, most people wouldn't have had the experience needed to work that out for themselves, and/or have just learned to live with more concentrated light sources.

If it was the kind of light design where cheap knock-off versions were available with decent performance (even if poorer design/reliability), maybe more people would get attracted to the idea, but if the entry level isn't cheap, that in itself can help the idea stay as a niche one.

There is a bit of a Geordi La Forge thing about them as well, which might put off people not wanting to be though of as [more] geeky.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a bit of a Geordi La Forge thing about them as well, which might put off people not wanting to be though of as [more] geeky.

I've always wondered why such a large light array was needed for the given lumens. I've assumed they are using bare-bulb 5mm emitters of yore, but perhaps that's wrong.