Olight M21x or 4Sevens 123^2 Turbo X ?

Dogdare

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 4Seven flashlights, and while I started to get all excited about the Turbo X, I came across the M21X from Olight. [EDIT: now I'm also looking at the Klarus XT11]

Now I realize that flashlight opinions are probably as wide ranging as opinions on the best car brand, but does anyone happen to have both of these lights and share some insights of the pros and cons of each one?

As a baseline, I have the following flashlights from 4Sevens:
Quark 123^2 Tactical
Quark MiniX 123
Quark 123 tactical

thanks,
Herb

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my two cents:

1. Quark Turbo X
Pros:
1.brighter than advertised (as expected from 4Sevens) It hangs in their with my 600+ lumen flashlights.
2. Big head gives it quite a throw. 100-200meters, no problem!
3. Readily keeps the two modes you program it to run in.

Cons:
1. you only have access to two modes at a time, you have to program the modes you will be using first (you can relate to this owning several tactical Quarks)
2. doesn't fit protected RCR123 properly. A bit tight on the batteries, you can get them in there, but at the risk of ruining the light or the batteries. What you could do is run them with unprotected RCR123's.
3. does not have low voltage cut off, it will run unprotected RCR123's to zero voltage (the other Quarks dont) *I own a Quark AA so I know this. I ended up ruining two RCR123's because of this.

Olight M21X

Pros:
1. Fits most types of batteries readily.
2. SS Bezel is a nice touch, how i wish the Turbo X had this option.
3. Best thrower among the three you are choosing.

Cons:
1. Limited to three modes and strobe.
2. Tube's a bit thicker than the other two.

Klarus XT11
Pros:
1. The most tactical of the three with instant access to Strobe for defensive action.
2. Double switch for switching the light on and changing modes is a nice touch.
3. Great general light, not exactly designed for throw.

Cons:
1. Could inherit the same internals of its older brothers (PWM). To some CPFer's like me it matters, to others it doesnt, so you'll have to decide where you stand on this one. I own some cheap-o flashlights which use PWM for regulation, it can be quite ANNOYING.
2. Not the best thrower of the three.
3. There aren't that many other cons about Klarus lights, they are built well, even Marshall from GoingGear.Com will tell you one of his favorite lights of all time is the older Klarus XT10 (the older bro of this XT11).

My reco:

Since you seem to be like me who loves lights which can take 2XCR123's or 1x1865's, get them all! :)

I currently own a Turbo X, as for the Olight model i'll probably get it would be the M3X as I am addicted to thrower lights. M21X is no slouch, but I'm trying to get a favorite model per flashlight vendor. :)

As for the Klarus XT11, if the reviews on it prove it no longer has PWM, I will get this light too.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried the Fenix Flashlights? They make pretty good, solid lights!

You could add the TK21 U2 to your list.

Dogdare

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thorough response, but I'm not sure I should thank you for recommending more options. It's bad enough that I found CPF Marketplace just a few months ago, and now I've already spent more on flashlights in the past two months than I have in the previous 5 years.

Thanks again,
Herb

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
Since you mentioned the Fenix TK 21 , I have a TK 15 an love it so which would be a better house light , the Olight m20 warrior of Fenix TK 21 ?Thanks

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on first reviews EagleTac G25C2 turns out to be great light.

Last edited:

camoman2

Newly Enlightened
I just got an M21X for Christmas...it's pretty sweet, also a M20s s2 that I have had for over a year that has been a great light. I also have a Fenix TA21 that has also been a great light....although it is quite dimmer than either Olight. I would pick the Olight just from my experience... although the Eagle Tacs and the Klarus look pretty nice too.

TheCleanerSD

Newly Enlightened
I have the 4Sevens 123^2 Turbo X, Olight M21x and Fenix TK21 U2. Of the three I find myself reaching for the TK21 the most. None of the lights would be a bad choice. The reason I go with the TK21 most often is the easy on/off and access to the multiple constant on modes with one hand, even with gloves. Once you get used to it, it's second nature. The Quark Tactical UI on the Turbo X is great, and I love its compact size for the amount of light it can push, but you need 2 hands to switch between the modes. Same 2-handed drawback with the Olight M21x, and I also dislike having to cycle through the strobe mode every time I cycle the modes on the M21x. I do like the steel bezel, and the build quality it top notch. The Olight rides in my center console as my goto truck light. All that being said, I'd buy all three of the lights again, no regrets, I just think the Fenix TK21 is the most usable for me.

sergey

Newly Enlightened
I would choose Quark Turbo X (2 * CR123)
First among 4Sevens have a choice between a cold and neutral light (I have a neutral)
Second in Quark Turbo X an excellent heat sink.
I tested it in turbo mode, 1.5 hours (1*17670_1.4A). The maximum heating of the head about
40 ° C (104 F). I'm happy.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the
O-light M21X
Klarus XT-11
Quark X 123^
Quark Turbo XML
Quark Tactical turbo R5
Eagle-Tac T20C2
Fenix TK-21
Maelstrom X7

The M21X is my least used light. I hate having to cycle through all the modes to get to the single output I want. If a light has a twisty head it should work (for me) like the quark, tight head on one output and loose on another.

When I was searching for new upgraded duty light I purchased these and a few others in my search for the perfect light. While the perfect duty light for me doesn't exist I found the Klarus XT series to be closest. The Fenix and Eagle-Tac are close but required either a shift of the hand to get to a second button or twist a head.

I do have an Eagle-Tac G25C2 en route to me just because I like the Maelstrom and could always use another light (tax right off)