JETBeam Jet III-M XM-L review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgrades to new LEDs seem to be the fastest route to new lights in today's market. Is it enough to warrant the changes and re-releases, or are fresh models just too close to their previous counterparts to matter?

JETBeam Jet III-M XM-L

Meat and Potatoes

JETBeam seems to have developed a bit of a signature following with their Jet III-M lights. As such, they seem to be some of the earliest models to get the typical upgrade treatment common to lights of this caliber. Once the LED is no longer the top dog in the market, it becomes time to once again step up and bring the light back to the bleeding edge of technology. It's not that the "old" XP-G was really that outdated, its just that the new XM-L is, well, newer.

Switching to the larger die XM-L does precipitate some fairly significant changes in beam profile over its much more minute sibling. Most notably is the fact that the increased surface area of the die best serves to dissipate the light into a much more diffuse pattern. This combined with the textured reflector (compared to smooth previously) gives this Jet III-M a much floodier beam by comparison. This translates to the 450 lumen max output on this model having a much larger hotspot than the XP-G model from last year, whereas that LEDs top end 355 lumens are better suited for distance illumination. In short, the XP-G throws much better in a dark field, but the XM-L does a better job at lighting up the room or area close at hand.

XM-L

Fit and finish of the III-M are superb as is usually found on JETBeam products. The anodizing is flawless, uniform and appears quite thick. Good care was taken to ensure that no rough edges were left behind to give the appearance of an unfinished product. The anodizing is a little darker than the steel grey that previous products have sported, but is not yet quite a full black. I don't know if this is just variance between anodizing batches, or if there has been a shift toward darker tones, but either way, it gets the job done. JETBeam genuinely appears to know what they are doing when creating a durable tool, meant to be used.

JETBeam Jet III-M XM-L

Constructive Criticism

This section of my review is going to be a bit harder to write this time than last. There are definitely no glaring faults that jump out at me like last time. The larger LED and textured reflector have mitigated the issues I had with beam quality quite thoroughly and JETBeam seems to have updated the electronics enough to have drastically reduced the amount of time required to program the 2nd mode. This is (personally speaking) a much better light than its predecessor.

The one fault that I glossed over without really mentioning in the previous review is the tailcap switch. Once again a company has chosen to use my least favorite style. A forward clicky switch that would normally be protruding has a scalloped crown around it to somewhat allow for tailstanding. Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time has to know that I rather disapprove of this method. I know there are a few of you who prefer it, but I would much rather see a manufacturer choose sides and either offer a true easy access protruding switch or a solid, stable tailstanding ring that completely encompasses the switch. Do one thing, and do it well. I always prefer that. You can't please all the people all the time.

JETBeam Jet III-M XM-L

Conclusions

It may seem like "just and LED upgrade" but in my book it really makes this quality light much more usable. When you improve on good, you get great.

Provided forreviewby the kind folks at JETBeam.

purelite

Enlightened
I have not owned any of the highend Jetbeams. But from owning the Jet IIIM in a cpl variations I can concur, there is something about the light. The quality of the host is as good as you will find in all departments and it imparts a solidness to it that you have to handle to understand. It is more solid than a 6P in my opinion. It is just a great all around design and workhorse of a light. I dont rememebr for sure but I think it has a wide voltage rane also and with cell extenders you can get longer runtimes.
It doesnt get talked about much anymore but if there was a hall of fame for flashlights this one should be in the top 5 for all around best value/performer in its class. and you can use Surefire tailcaps on them if you dont like the stock one.

RBWNY

Enlightened
I'm hoping to be impressed as well ...... since I have one of these Jet III XM-L's on its way to me now :naughty:. I'm really hoping the ramping feature isn't more trouble than its worth.