Modified 4Sevens Preon Clicky Tailcap

Rob Robideau

Newly Enlightened
I saw a photo of a modified 4Sevens Preon Titanium tailcap on their website back in November and e-mailed Ken about doing it for me. I shipped him a Ti clicky tailcap directly from 4Sevens and 7 days from his receipt, it was out the door and on the way to me. He was also kind enough to take some Work-in-progress photos for us:
20111218193446.jpg

20111218193902.jpg

20111218194050.jpg

20111218195107.jpg

20111218195052.jpg

20111218195313.jpg

20111218200321.jpg

20111218201359.jpg

20111218201435.jpg

Now these are my photos:
IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

Here are some comparison pics next to the original:
IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

I've only had it a few hours, but so far I love it. The switch is completely recessed and it's nice not having to worry about accidentally activating the light when I sit down.

In my opinion, it was totally worth the $16+shipping. It made my favorite little light even better.

So what do you think?

Rob Robideau

Newly Enlightened
I don't do much tailstanding, but yes, it does widen the contact/resting surface and shorten the flashlight a little. Both characteristics would make the light more stable during tailstanding.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
That's fantastic. Takes care of my two little pet peeves with preons in one go!

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Email sent as well, hopefully he is still wanting to do this.

Edit: I ordered two shipped to him. He also does crenelated bezels on preons. That will make a great looking mod I think

Last edited:

couch

Newly Enlightened
Rob,

Great write up! I really appreciate the positive feedback. Setup looks great. I don't own a Preon,but after doing this modification a few times, I may buy one.

This service is always available. Please email [email protected]

-Ken

Rob Robideau

Newly Enlightened
The pictures may make it look bulky, but the clicky tailcap actually only adds ~10% extra length(Preon 1).

Regular static tailcap - 76mm
With modified clicky tailcap - 83.5mm

The tailcap width is the exact same as the head(no extra width) and the extra weight is negligible(it's Ti).

Obviously, every flashlight is a personal decision, but for me, the clicky tailcap is worth the small increase in size.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
He said he would forward one to me. If he does I will forward. I would like that also

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
That would make a unique addition to my preons. Might just send a head his way

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good tailcap mod :thumbsup:
The end cap of metal covering the rubber shoud be able to put back once the mods is complete.
Any pics showing the metal button reinserted after the completed machined mod?
Thanks
GL

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
The end cap of metal covering the rubber shoud be able to put back once the mods is complete.
Thanks
GL

The two I ordered were shipped Saturday. When I get them I will see if it's possible,

Rob Robideau

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
GL

Thanks! The metal button can be used, but it then takes on the same dimensions as the original assembly. The point of the mod is to end up with the recessed clicker. Reprofiling the bevel makes it easier to reach into the recess and depress the rubber cap.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
This service is always available. Please email [email protected]

-Ken

Ken,
The mod looks like just what my Preon2 has been needing. I saw it first elsewhere, so I have contacted you through your website.
I'll follow this thread, and post pics and impressions once I get mine done.
How does the final length compare to the stock 47's clicky tail with metal cap installed?

Rob Robideau

Newly Enlightened
How does the final length compare to the stock 47's clicky tail with metal cap installed?

It is shorter by the height of the protrusion of the metal cap. It's not really that big of a difference.

Check out the last 3 photos for a direct comparison.

Blue Angel

Newly Enlightened
I have a black/ti Preon 2 that would be a perfect donor for this mod! The one thing I don't like about this light is the tailcap clicky feels loose. This would fix that issue!

The bezel mod; can you do the same finish to the head when done so it matches the tail? I prefer the machined finish to both the matte finish (mine) and the polished finish on the earlier models.

Latest posts