Need advise Re: light (Nitecore D11.2) and reseller

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Nitecore ex11.2 from Battery Junction recently. It was acting strange from the beginning. It was behaving like a ex11. With further testing and research I found it was an ex11 that was sold as a 11.2. I called customer service and told them what was happening. They said people modify lights all the time so what you see online may not be how the product works. I explained that based on the directions, it should go to high, by a double click and hold, and low by a double click.

Problem I had with this whole experience/conversation was that I never felt like they listened or believed what I was saying, and figured I was going to get a hassled for a return or exchange. I ended up calling back and talking to someone else. I explained what happened, they setup a return without the restocking fee, and I ordered the Nitecore D11.2 as the replacement. Later, I actually had to call back to have them credit the restocking fee because they forgot to.

Got the D11.2 light the other day and it was working great for 2 days, now it's acting erratically. Single clicks sometimes act like a double, so when I go to turn it off it goes into low. When I went to turn it on today; I clicked it once, nothing happened. I looked into the head and it went into strobe and blinded me. I've read about other people in this forum having similar problems with the Nitecore's.

I really like this light, but I don't know what will happen if I call them again, describe the problem, what I'll hear this time. Did I just got a bad light, or eventually, based on the way this light works, do they tend to just act this way? I really want this light because the ramping is so useful to get any degree of brightness. Is it worth going for another D11.2 replacement?, or just getting another brand totally, probably the Quark AA, R5

AaronG

Enlightened
If you like the ramping feature I would return the D11.2 and get a Sunwayman V10A instead. I was really interested in the D11.2 but all the reports of QC problems led me to get a sunwayman instead.

Last edited:

batman

Enlightened
I'm actually hoping Nitecore sustains a huge loss because of their QC failures. How they deal with it is up to them, 1.) get their act together or else 2.) stop taking advantage of people here and just go away forever.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking into the Sunwayman V10A. Seems like a great light. Just wish it was a bit smaller..

I did a bit of a teardown of this light and think I know why they are failing. It's a really interesting way of making a light with the inside sleeve, but there is too much complexity and moving parts. If they had higher tolerance in their manufacturing process I think it would work. The sleeve moves up and down, hits a ring that is similar to snap or C ring, that another spring that's wrapped around the pill presses against. The snap type, or C ring his the PCB, printed circuit board and makes the connection. The PCB is glued in just crooked, and everything else inside has to be adjusted just right. The secondary spring around the pill could also use adjusting. The gold contact circle on the PCP seems thin and would wear down with time. Anyway, seem like there is just too much going on..

I'm hoping more companies will soon have infinite ramping like the nitecore and sunwayman. It's such a nice feature.

As far as the click tail type lights I think they should hide the sos and strobe better. They are not often used and to cycle through them when changing brightness is a pain.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
David's post above on the mechanics and reason for potential failure of the D10 and D family are spot on. Can't be said better...just too much going on but it could work. I gave up on mine, always was coming on in my pocket.

jondotcom

Enlightened
The nitecore PD series has a cult following, and I just became a member :naughty:. I have an ex11.2 (from same dealer as you) and really like it to the point I ordered another EX11.2 and a slotted d11.2.

From everything I read, the d10/d11/ex10/ex11 are quirky little lights that work well once you get one that is not a lemon off the bat, and keep it going forever with proper lubing and tlc on the contacts (and never leave an alkaline cell in it unattended for years). People like them so much that they'll deliberately buy units knowing they're battery vampires, etc.

You really need to be a licensed flashoholic to own one. The UI is somewhat complicated and many will think they have a lemon by misinterpreting the directions. For a second, I thought mine was messed up while learning the UI, accidentally locking it out a few times. The UI does take a bit of practice.

I have looked at other alternatives but nothing really replaces nitecore. I'll probably get a sunwayman too but it will probably sit unused in a box :).

If I were you, I'd just try one more time, and maybe battery junction will pretest it for you.

Last edited:

Dusterdude

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks I'm the new guy. I bought an D11.2 from the same place, out of nowhere they stoped selling them. I believe they got tired of handling returned goods and customer complaints. You don't want to know what I found wrong with my light. Anyway nice forum here, see you later, Ed.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear you got a bad one, Ed, and welcome to CPF. It took me two tries to get of good one. So good I went back for a clip. I think they also stopped carrying the light. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Geoff

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read a lot on these and still bought one because I love tritium. The d11.2 I got does feel better than my old d10.
So far the UI difference was the only thing that caught me off guard. The lowest setting is actually lower than my QuarkAA which was a great suprise.
So far no sign of battery drain so I think I got a gooder

Dusterdude

Newly Enlightened
I should have mentioned above that Deoxit and some very carefull tweeking with the floating contact ring did wonders, my problems vanished after cleaning and adjusting the works, just as described in post #4.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I just bought a D11.2 and as I see happens too often, my first one was defective. My promply-received replacement works like a charm so I'm happy!

I really really like this light and the EX11.2. I just wish nitecore would step up the quality a notch. In spite of it all, they're still my favorite.