Surefire E1B (Silver) questions

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

I love my black E1B and have been thinking about getting a silver one to go along with it. After roaming around on the internet looking for deals I have a couple of questions:

1) I suppose the finish on the silver E1B is HA but I'm curious about how well it wears over time. Can anyone share their EDC experiences on this subject (good or bad)? I carry my black E1B bezel down in my left front pocket.

2) Some of the ones I find for sale online are listed at 80 lumens output instead of 110. I found this mentioned in a few threads here, at least one of which suggested that the difference was simply due to how the output was measured. What's the final word on this? If there is a difference between the "old" and "new" how noticeable is it in the real world?

I wouldn't be surprised if these questions have already been asked and answered by I couldn't find them with a search. I appreciate any responses.

Thanks! :wave:

BSGGUNS

Newly Enlightened
I can only comment on your second question, I have a E1B that is 80 Lumens. Its about 2 years old. The new ones about 1.5 years ago went to 110 Lumens.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I have the 110. I do not have an 80 but I did just read a review which measured the 80 lumen version at 120 lumens when compared to a Novatac 120. You know whats nice? Throwing a poland spring water bottle cap on the head of your e1b. Gives it a nice little flood action. But I have no other info on your other queries. I do think that they updated the emitter for the 110 versions so they might run 140-160 lumens but I cant remember reading this, but it certainly seems plausible comparing mine to my quark 123x2 and my hds rotary (200)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 110 lumen is slightly brighter than the 80 lumen version. The silver anodizing wears quite nicely. What's good is that if the anodize do wear, the bare aluminum underneath blands quite well with the silver ano rather than black ano. I have an 80 lumen silver version once but sold it away. I kind of regretted the decision to sell it but I have much better lights around.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both a E1B with 80 Lumens rated on the box and one with 110 Lumens rating. Both are similar in brightness. When I would need a 3rd one I'd get one with 80 lumens rating in a sale... :)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies. I didn't expect there to be much difference, if any, between the 80 and 110 lumen versions and it's good to have the confirmation. I'm also glad to hear the finish wears well. Getting info like this is why lovecpf!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello all,

I love my black E1B and have been thinking about getting a silver one to go along with it. After roaming around on the internet looking for deals I have a couple of questions:

1) I suppose the finish on the silver E1B is HA but I'm curious about how well it wears over time. Can anyone share their EDC experiences on this subject (good or bad)? I carry my black E1B bezel down in my left front pocket.

2) Some of the ones I find for sale online are listed at 80 lumens output instead of 110. I found this mentioned in a few threads here, at least one of which suggested that the difference was simply due to how the output was measured. What's the final word on this? If there is a difference between the "old" and "new" how noticeable is it in the real world?

I wouldn't be surprised if these questions have already been asked and answered by I couldn't find them with a search. I appreciate any responses.

Thanks! :wave:

Looks like your questions have already been answered in this thread - I also agree that the silver finish wears very well, and that the output of the "80 lumen version" is very similar to that of the "110-lumen version" (and have black, silver, 80, and 110 ... :) ...).

For detailed discussion of these issues, if interested, here are a couple of relevant links ....

(Type III Hard Anodized finish)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?229668-Surefire-E1B-silver-HAIII-or-not

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?221879-Surefire-E1B-Backup-in-Silver.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?226777-My-new-Surefire-E1B-Backup-(silver-color)!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?270725-How-s-the-anodizing-on-the-SF-E1B

(Output specifications)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Bs-specs-finally-updated-on-Surefires-website....

Cheers!

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
I saw some thread before saying someone asked surefire about the 80-110 rating changed and they said that they did nothing with the light. They just measured the light again and the test came up with a higher output

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some thread before saying someone asked surefire about the 80-110 rating changed and they said that they did nothing with the light. They just measured the light again and the test came up with a higher output
If that is what Surefire said then are they into false advertising? Their packaging says "New Higher Output" or something like that the last I saw them. There is indeed a slight increase in output. Managed to run the 80 lumen I have against a 110 lumen at the shop and although it seems the same initially, further careful comparison shows that the 110 lumen one is very slightly brighter.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned both the old and new versions of the E1B. My old E1B was on par with my Surefire L1 and E2L, but my new E1B is definitely brighter.

Perhaps Surefire did not redesign the E1B, but rather has better flux bins to choose from, and so is able to claim a higher standard output now. But I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with a change in method of measurement.