Surefire G2 LED voltage range?

Pawnshop

Newly Enlightened
Hello All! A couple of years ago I gave a girlfriend a bone stock Surefire G2 LED and an "endless" supply of batteries and now I want to give her a pair of rechargeable 123s and a charger. Will the light be damaged by 3.7v cells or should I stick with 3.0v units? I would not worry about it in my own light but I want hers to be as ultra reliable and hassle free as I can make it.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
PS the G2L with a P60L can run up to 9 volts since it was the same light assembly on a G3L (9 volt). I also run 2xRCR123s=8.4 volts on my G2L with a P60L for gulity free lumens. Save the non rechargable CR123s for back up and don't forget to check them RCR123s when them come off the charger and make sure both batteries are the same voltage. Reliable Yes, hassle free not really you have to baby sit the charger, can't just leave it overnight and you have to buy that digital multimeter to check voltage.

Last edited:

theix

Newly Enlightened
You can use 2xRCR123 with the P60L. It's good upto 9v like BIGLOU said. I think the DMM is kinda "necessary" once you decided to use rechargeable li-ion. Cheap one will do the job.

dougie

Enlightened
I've used Li-ion batteries for my G2L for over a couple of years now with no adverse effects. As others have said the P60L is rated up to 9v so even if you take the Li-ions straight off the charger the total voltage shouldn't be over 8.4v. As for whether you need or use a DMM to check the voltages is up to you! As I only use protected RCR123's I'm happy to NOT to use a DMM and I am confident that I won't have to worry about reverse charging causing an explosion. Others may have different opinions but that is mine. The only caution I have for you is this: Li-ion batteries will abruptly cut out once they have reached the safe discharge level. 'If' your GF is using the light in an 'iffy' area she would suddenly find the light cutting out without any prior warning! This is fine if she has a back-up light or she is happy to carry two spare RCR's or two primaries. However, if she is in pitch blackness then she will have to fumble around to find the batteries and then replace them in the G2L! Hardly ideal is it?

Pawnshop

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies! I am going to set her up with some protected RCR123s and make sure she has some primaries for backup, that should do nicely. I am not so much worried about paying for her battery supply as much as her always having access to hot batts, even if it means she has to wait a few hours to charge them up.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have a P60L that's not in use right now but I did try it with a 17670 cell and it worked pretty fine.
A little bit less bright than 2xcr123 but not much. I never tested runtime or change of brightness but I think it will be good and she will notice the light getting dimmer when cell needs recharging without tripping the protection.
I recall seeing some notes about it here on CPF.
It might be a safer way to go than 2xrcr123 for a non flashaholic.

Edit: Found a link:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?190500-Surefire-6PLED-With-Recharchables
The posts in the end by mdocod and Kestrel are interesting.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll +1 the use of 17670. I use them in my G2L and unbored 6PL and they are great battery options. No worries of using 2xCR123, and you're probably going to get similar run times, if not better, with the 17670.

Pawnshop

Newly Enlightened
Based on everything I have read, on this and the other thread, I think I will just keep giving her primaries when she needs them! Brighter light for longer run times, and no charging safety issues. THANKS AGAIN!