What's the next LED to be coming out after XM-L?

Lumenato

Newly Enlightened
I know XM-L are still relatively new, but i was wondering what the next LED will be in production lights? Any chance we'll be moving away from the floody LEDs? It's been getting floodier and floodier. XPG was floody to XPE. Then XM-L is even floodier than XPG. Any chance we'll see something along the lines of a XRE or XPE?

Just out of curiosity though, what lights do CPFers use most? Their floody lights or throwers? I have to admit i use my floody lights over my throwy lights even though i wan the next LED after XML to be a throwier LED.

Opinions?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Actually the XM-L puts out so many more lumens that they actually power a lot of throwers, you just need a larger reflector. Also there more efficient so lights like the Spark SL6 and Zebra light SC600 put out WAY more light and close to the same if not more throw as an XP-G would in the same light. However I am with you and would like to see smaller emitters something like the XM-L but XP-G sized or XP-G output but smaller. To bad lumens sell better than emitter size.

yifu

Enlightened
Straight after the XM-L's release, Cree said that it had developed an LED with 200+ lumen per watt with no mention of die size, so that would probably get released next. You need to understand that the majority of LEDs sold are for backlighting (ipods/TVs/computers/signs). The remaining LEDs are developed for the actual lighting market, with an even smaller market for flashlights. Lumen per watt sells a lot better than lumen per mm squared. Cree is a 1 billion dollar per year company by revenue. It will not care about selling 1000 LEDs to some flashoholics in return for the development of a revolutionary new surface brightness technology.