Zebralight and Spark

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
Are the two brands related? Does Zebralight own Spark? I have noticed that all of the lights sold by Spark are very similar, amlost identical in design to Zebralights. They have the same cooling fins, the same electronic switches, stainless steel rings, anodizing, they have similarly designed lights with similar LED's and outputs, and they even use the same white plastic wafer underneath the LED. The headlamps look very similar also.

If they aren't related which brand was around first? I remember seeing Zebralight dating back over a year but I don't remember seeing Spark until very recently.

hook63

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about that myself. Zebralights been around longer and they are opening up a factory in the US I think near there hq .

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra was definitely around first.

I am very glad someone began a dedicated thread on this topic, and I am now intently curious about this myself.

EDIT: Apparently, one already exists here.

The question remains.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I did a google search on anything related to the topic and couldn't find any info. Zebralight's web site is very well done and clean. There is quite a bit of information available. I checked out Spark's web site and it's somewhat vague of information and doesn't seem well translated. I could not find any real contact info or headquarters address.

http://www.zebralight.com/

http://www.spark001.com/index.aspx

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Hmmm, they both are pretty cutting edge but very different. Different enough that they each have great lights but if they would get together they could combine features into the perfect light I think.

ELMagnate

Newly Enlightened
Kind of off topic guys so I apologize in advance but out of the two which one would you choose? the spark sl6 800cw or the Zebralight sc600. I am in the market for a great little light and those two seem to be my top. I like the Klarus XT11 but only because it has the pressure switch which I could use to mount on my ar. but its not quite up to the other 2's specs.

Love some help deciding

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of off topic guys so I apologize in advance but out of the two which one would you choose? the spark sl6 800cw or the Zebralight sc600. I am in the market for a great little light and those two seem to be my top. I like the Klarus XT11 but only because it has the pressure switch which I could use to mount on my ar. but its not quite up to the other 2's specs.

Love some help deciding

Both are nice lights, I dont onw any of this models, but I do have different lights of both brands, I will choice the Zebra...

About the thread, I think that both companies had something in commun, maybe the same factory build the lights to the two brands...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights and Sparks aren't really that similar. I own several zebralights (SC51, SC80, SC600) and 1 spark (SL5 190 NW):

Similarities:
1. Both use grey type III anodizing
2. Both use electronic soft-touch switches.
3. Both use side switches.
4. Both make lights with cooling fins on the head.

Differences:
1. Zebralight has flat bezel and tailcap with more rounded edges. Spark has crenelated bezel and tailcap with lots of sharp edges.
2. UI is completely different. Zebralight has a rather elegant UI allowing access to 3 main brightness settings with maximum of 2 clicks. Spark's UI is a much more conventional ramping UI.
3. Reviews have also noted that Zebralight's driver is both more efficient and brighter than Spark's driver.
4. Some Sparks have both a side and tailcap button. Zebralights only have 1 button, always on the side on their flashlights.
5. Beam pattern is completely different. The Spark is floodier than the Zebralights.
6. External styling: The zebralights either have a plain cylindrical body tube or a knurled body tube. The Spark has an octagonal cross-section body tube with no knurling and many complex cutouts.
7. Zebralights are much more compact than Sparks.

Basically, Sparks and Zebralights are about as similar to each other as Thrunites are to Fenix. Yes there are some similarities. But definitely not so much that I'd think them manufactured by the same company.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I read on another thread that some of the guys (don't know how many) who used to work at Zebralight, branched off to do their own thing and started making the Spark flashlights, thus the similarities.

I don't know whether that's true or not, or if Spark IS actually a subsidiary of Zebralight operating as a sister company, but that's what I've read twice on here.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read on another thread that some of the guys (don't know how many) who used to work at Zebralight, branched off to do their own thing and started making the Spark flashlights, thus the similarities.

I don't know whether that's true or not, or if Spark IS actually a subsidiary of Zebralight operating as a sister company, but that's what I've read twice on here.

I went looking for these answers awhile back and what I came back with is your right about the first part but they are certainly NOT a subsidiary or a sister company, nor was there ever any type of arrangement satisfactory to "both" parties for the designs to be so similar.