Newbie question about G2 conversion

squale59

Newly Enlightened
HI every body;)
I would like to upgrader my nitrolon G2 in led and I would like to be sure of modifications to make for it.
I saw that there was a probleme with the warmth produced by the led with the nitrolon bezel and therefore I think to put this head to replace it Solarforce L2-CH.

For the conversion I think to put Dealextreme module because Malkoff drop in modules are not in my budget for job that I want. what could it be the best option in the dealextreme drop ins choice,for the brightest light and longer runtime;I am a bit lost, and what is the best choice for batteries
thank you in advance and sorry for my English, I try to inprove it:)

Last edited by a moderator:

squale59

Newly Enlightened
I am going to try to be more precis in my researches and I made a choice on DX among those

DX SKU - 1162

DX SKU - 11836

DX SKU - 31181

DX SKU - 12501

DX SKU - 3214

What would be the best choice:confused::confused:?

Sales Links Removed and Replaced with SKU #s - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackasper

Enlightened
Hi squale59, :welcome:. There were only a couple of SKU's you had listed that I could make any sense of. The first one is SKU 11836, and you pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Single mode XR-E R2 with an input of 3.7v to 18v for about $9. This will handle a couple of CR123's just fine (6v), as well as pretty much any other combination of rechargeables you could think of. The other SKU that you had that I was able to search was SKU 12501 and it was an XR-E Q2 single mode 3.7v-12v. It was $3 more and if I'm not mistaken, is no where near as bright. The very first flashlight I tore into was exactly what you have, a Surefire G2. I put an XR-E R2 drop in along with some rechargeables in and was good to go. Now the batteries can be a bit confusing at first so try and not get frustrated, because it is very easy to get overwhelmed at all there is to know before you jump into lithium ion rechargeables. The G2's head should not have heat issues with the XR-E drop in module. You most likely wont be able to generate even enough heat to hurt the plastic lens, however it is possible with certain battery configurations. So my advice to you is stick with the lithium primaries (CR123's) for just long enough to read up on the rechargeables because the G2 is not wide enough to accept an 18650 (the ideal rechargeable) nor is it long enough to accept protected 16340's. However it can take unprotected 16340's and various other lithium sizes. Now heat transfer starts to come into play. The nitrolon material is not good for thermal transfer and that is what the LED needs in order to remain efficient. Especially if you decide on a different drop in with a higher demand. All having been said, changing the head is not a bad idea, but not really necessary. Stick with lithium primaries (or 3.0v rechargeables) or a single 17650. Good luck

squale59

Newly Enlightened

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may mix things up but I woudl suggest buying Solarforce dropins....they are little bit better (LED bin & driver efficciency) cos I ahve seen atrocities in dissasembled Dx drp-ins...like a driver with 50 efficiency since it waw made for 2A output

Jackasper

Enlightened
Yes squale59, you are on the right track. However KosPap has made a very good suggestion with the solarforce route. Per your question, I gave input without trying to sway your intent which, I think, was to get a relatively inexpensive drop in to do a basic incan to LED conversion. For a total of $15 (cree r2 drop in + batteries) you have a relatively bright conversion. Now, seeing as you are HERE and you have caught the bug, kosPap's suggestion is a very good one. A Solarforce L2 or L2P host is about as good a host as any. Practically any P60 style drop in made will fit and almost any battery or combination thereof will give you all the options a guy could want, and cheap too...:thumbsup:

squale59

Newly Enlightened
Thanks KosPap, i know ,as i already order different stuff on DX, that you can have items with low quality , or fall on the lemon of a series... I am going to look at solarforce drop in too

squale59

Newly Enlightened
OK i've just order a Solarforce drop in , this one "Solarforce 300Lms R2 Cree Led 5Mode 4.2V-8.4V Bulb"..... now i have to wait!!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might add that the Solarforce XPG & XML dropins come with good reflectors. That is a hit & miss with the cheaper ones.