Help Wanted for an LED Torch / Bike Light

Cones

Enlightened
Hi,

I got this from someone who saw my review site and wanted some advice for a new torch. So I though who better to ask that all of you for some ideas. I am no expert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif but some of you are, so the email follows.

I'm Born, a regular visitor to TZ-UK. I have visited your superb review site and got an impression that you are a torch expert!

Could you please help me find a torch with the following qualities:

1. small (about 2-AA- or 3-AA-long)
2. LED (or others equally durable and energy efficient)
3. Bright white(ish) light
4. Good throwaway distance (for cycling at night)
5. Good radius
6. Shock proof
7. Rain resistant
8. Sturdy connector between batteries and bulbs (I have an LED torch whose connector is so bad that it doesn't give light at times when I screw the cap on).
9. long bulb and battery life span
10. Budget about 30-40GBP.
11. Can be bought in the UK or EU, online or by mail order.

Purpose of use, for everyday cycling, walking. I don't like a light that mounts on to the handle bar because it breaks too easily due to vibration and rain. I've been through too many cheapos, and want to settle down with a decent torch....

Thanks in advance for your help

Many thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Mark

markus_i

Enlightened
Tough one. If it wasn't for 10/11, I'd say go and have a look at Elektrolumens or Inretech or a Mag conversion - but by the time you got one of those to .eu, you're over your price limit. You'll need a single emitter to get the throw, and the price excludes anything in the high end range - maybe one of the new Princeton Tech or UKE (can't remember which one, possibly both) single Luxeon/4AA lights, but they're new and so still have to prove their optical and mechanical qualities.
If you need the light mainly for cycling, there's also an approved (Germany/Britain AFAIK) single Luxeon/4AA/Generator bike light announced from Hella, probably (hopefully) available later this year.

Bye
Markus

Bye
Markus

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think with those criterias, a headlamp would be most suitable, esp those with dual functions, else one of the upcoming LS headlamps. Check on the other 2 or 3 ongoing headlamp threads that are going on in this and the General Flashlight thread... Lots and lots of recommendations there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif