BRIGHTEST AA OR D cell flashlight

shutterdial

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering what the brightest flashlight out that is AA Was looking at the Fenix Tk41
AND the D cell Fenix TK70

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK70 is an awesome light. I like the user interface. There are two buttons. One controls the off/on cycle, the other the modes. Low mode is very useful. The second level is all you will probably need, the third level is *very* bright! It's the fourth level that is....BRIGHT! Easy to carry with good balance. Maybe a little heavy with good batteries, but a great light where you might need multiple levels.

JudasD

Enlightened
i am 100% new to all of this. My previous experience with flashlights is whatever i could buy at harbor freight for $2-$3 :) I too am looking at the tk41 and the tk70. Half of my brain is screaming at me saying "are you crazy for spending that much on some flashlights?!?!?" While the other half says "Price be damned, YOU NEED THOSE FLASHLIGHTS!" :devil:

From my massive forum-ingestion it appears that the tk41 and tk70 are in the "group" of best AA and D lights. Best is often debated of course, but those two models appear to come up the most. I would love to hear some summaries from those with deeper knowledge.

JD

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not as bright as the TK70, the TK41 is still crazy bright and it's size is far more practical to use. Unless you MUST have the brightest light out there I'd go the TK41, which I did.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the search box and you will find countless threads and posts on this subject,you will find it really good reading.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: shutterdial & JudasD

I did not get either.

I live downtown. Do not take walks down long country roads. Do not go camping. No need for super bright torches.

I already have a 3C P7 Mag. While not as bright as either it is bright enough for a shelf queen. Last time I used it was walking some trails in High Park Toronto with some GTA members over 2 years ago.

I found out at the get together the year before that neutral tinted lights do not cast a blue haze on vegetation like normal LEDs. The brightest lights use the coolest tints which does not render colours as well as neutrals. Not critical indoors or downtown but in the country with lots of vegetation.
Some cool, neutral and warm tint comparisons:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arm-Neutral-Cool-White-BEAMSHOTS-amp-RUNTIMES!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ion-and-Tint-Comparison-Cree-Rebel-GDP-Nichia
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lights-do-you-love-em-If-not-take-a-look-here!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...w-comparison-Lumintop-TD-15X-T5-neutral-white

If I was starting over I would probably go with a Jetbeam PA20, Fenix LD40 or Neutral-white Quark "X" AA² Tactical.

The Neutral-white Quark "X" AA² Tactical is only 260 lumens* but is bright enough. When I point it at the ceiling and turn it on (in Turbo) it feels like I have turned on a household bulb, not a flashlight.
It will fit in the back pocket of my jeans which a TK41 (2D Mag size) or a TK70 (4D Mag size) does not. (A light with you is worth 2 in a drawer.)
It is very floody, does not reach far. For shorter distances that is more useful but if you need to reach out look for something else.
* The TK41 is 800 lumens about the same as a 60W bulb, the TK70 is 2200 lumens 1.5X a 100W bulb.

EDIT
BTW if you get the TK70 you need NiMH for full brightness. Alkaline will not power the torch properly. 4 10,000 mAH LSD or 12,000 mHA D NiMH plus charger will cost you.
The TK41 will run with 8 alkalines or 8 or 4 NiMH.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
The TK41 is a great light with very good throw and spill while still being a reasonable size and weight. Another AA light that has good reports although not as bright and doesn't throw as far is the Jetbeam PA40. It uses 4 AA batteries.
I just picked up a 2xAA light that I like better than my Quark AA2 tactical and my Klarus P2A. It's a Shiningbeam Caveman. For a smaller light, it's a real winner.

Latest posts