I'll fix my own darn light... (or, trouble with a Lumintop switch)

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Has anybody had trouble with their Lumintop switches?

I mounted my TD15x to my bike with a twofish clamp/velcro system, and went for a daytime ride.
When I took a break about 1/2hr in, I noticed it was on.:(
The switch felt fine, but wouldn't turn it off! The first time I took the batteries out and put it back together, it seemed fixed.
10 minutes later, however, it was stuck on again.
I eMailed the shop I bought it from. Seems they're not stocking Lumintop anymore, and sent me to the Mfr's support line.
I sent them a message today, and haven't heard back as yet.
In the meantime, before I got around to posting a request for help, I recalled when one of my Solar-Force's wouldn't turn on.
I tried to tighten down the tailcap switch from the inside - it wouldn't budge.
Then, I loosened it. I don't know what I'd do without my c-clip remover tool!
I was heartened to see a solid aluminum ring, with a beefy plastic bushing supporting the center electrode pin.
Took it out, and there was a small (1/4" long) thread/hair of metal stuck under the spring, running over the switch cap, out to the body of the light.
I don't know if it was copper from the spring, an aluminum chip from the ring, or what - but it's metal, and non-magnetic.
I pulled it out with my smallest needle-nose pliers, sprayed some electronics cleaner inside, spritzed in some contact enhancer, blew it out with compressed air, put a dab of dielectric grease on the ring threads, and put it all back together.
My TD15x is back to being the brightest light in my stable! (and only XM-L, at least for now.):)
I suppose I would be happier if my dealer had made such a suggestion (LT hasn't really had time to respond yet), but as it is I'm very pleased with myself, and once again, with my light.

Thanks for listening. I hopes this helps somebody else who has had a similar problem, and is searching for a fix.

- Tom

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had similar problems once. I emailed Lumintop and put the light away. A new cap arrived before I even had a chance to look at the old cap. Great CS!

Latest posts