Flashlight Lube

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
my surefire's come lubed, my Tigerlight did not. what's the difference? what's the difference between a lubed o-ring on a light and non lubed?

if it damages the o-rings to not be lubed they're at any hardware stores for change. my E2E that came from sf dry, i added a little lube, is now picking up pocket lint and getting gunked up.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
lube will help water resistance a little, also, it will make it easier to turn.

yep, that's about all! nye-lube is the best if you're wanting something better.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the nye. that's what i figured, the only thing it does for me is smooth up operation of the tailcap.

nihraguk

Enlightened
if the o-rings are too dry it might cause them to get torn or shredded also, so its best to keep them lightly lubed, not excessively
smile.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Which Nye lube do you use on this?
I'm awaiting delivery of two 8" TL's.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO US ALL!!
Tom

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nihraguk, this is true. i don't worry about it cause o-rings are available at any hardware store for change.

tom, yes. use it sparingly, a little goes a loooong way.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
For twist-on/offs I have been using Brownell's Action Lube. (A gunsmithing product containing Molybdinum disulphide.) MoS2-based lubes seem to be about as good as it gets for preventing galling. Whatever base it's in doesn't seem to effect buna or Viton O-rings.

Larry

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by TOB9595:
Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually, why bother to lube it? if tl sees fit to not lube it why should we? unlike a surefire, there is no tailcap that is twisted on/off numerous times.

i took my lens out of the tl to replace with a ucl from flashlightlens, other than that it won't come off again. i haven't messed with the tailcap and i don't know if it'll come off. the way the 0-rings are in my tl are fine and lube will only cause them to attract everything under the sun. JMO and YMMV.
cool.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by TOB9595:
Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">actually, why bother to lube it? if tl sees fit to not lube it why should we? unlike a surefire, there is no tailcap that is twisted on/off numerous times.

i took my lens out of the tl to replace with a ucl from flashlightlens, other than that it won't come off again. i haven't messed with the tailcap and i don't know if it'll come off. the way the 0-rings are in my tl are fine and lube will only cause them to attract everything under the sun. JMO and YMMV.
cool.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second that once my new lens was in place there should be no reason to take it apart again. However my SF all get Nye both kinds and I have never had any water get into any of them.
smile.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Yep, You guys are rigth I got my 8" TL yesterday and there's no need to take apart or rotate the lens. I guess I was confused with Rag mite focusable.
TL is an awesome light!!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I took of the head of my Tigerlight to replace the lens, I found out the O-ring was already cracked, straight from the factory! Anyway, that's why I lube -- to keep the ring from cracking, which I imagine greatly compromises water resistance. Okay, I could go replace the O-ring at a hardware store, sure. But, if the O-ring is dry and quietly cracking, I might get a nasty surprise about the light's water resistance someday. I check out the O-rings in my lights at the same time I change the batteries in my smoke detectors (daylight savings time adjustments), that'll not only keep 'em from cracking, but will help me catch them if they do crack.

Joe