searched and couldnt find a straight answer...how many lumens ate dangerous mushrooms

burro breath

Newly Enlightened
So from what I read its not lumens that are dangerous but rather the amount of light reflected and area of light spot. But I'm wondering how much light is dangerous to the human eye...I come from the world of high power laser pointers. I know that my 445 NM laser can cause permanent blindness at 200mw a square foot looking directly into the laser. So how many lumens is dangerous looking directly into the flashlight at lets say a 25 foot distance.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: searched and couldnt find a straight answer...how many lumens ate dangerous

you didn't find a straight answer because your one question does not fit the problem

'eye damage from how much light'...this is too open-ended

light source
coherent light, how coherent ?
wavelengths
energy density
duration of exposure

all these are variables which are required in order to answer the question sufficiently

a quick and dirty answer....4000 lumens or so, is bright sunshine on snow, and causes snow blindness in a few minutes
of staring at it, and trekking in snow with unprotected eyes will get you snowblind in a few hours

10,000 lumens can cause temporary to long term blindness much faster

see this wiki article and look at the various charts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened

In general, it is the lux (intensity) not the lumens (flux output) that causes output. Also, blue and UV parts of the spectrum would likely cause more eye damage. In terms of lux, the sun at midday is 100 000 lux but even that wont cause permanent damage to a dilated pupil, you would really need a UV intensive and a very concentrated spotlight, like a short-arc to do instant damage to your eyes. In terms of lumens, football stadiums generally use arrarys of 1kW+ HIDs like this GE product http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPr...+Metal+Halide_Single-Ended_G8&BREADCRUMB=CATG
which outputs in excess of 150 000 lumens EACH. The total light output of all the arrays may amount to something in the order of a couple 10 million lumens, but it is unlikely to cause eye damage.

ragweed

Enlightened

Also, if anyone is crazy enough to stare into a flashlight beam is stupid IMHO.

dougie

Enlightened

nbp has it about right! Each individual has a different physiological makeup and what may hurt or cause damage to one may not do so to another. Given that God gave us the ability to react to painful or uncomfortable stimulation then if it hurts look away seems the most sensible answer!

Flashlight Enthusiast

nbp has it about right! Each individual has a different physiological makeup and what may hurt or cause damage to one may not do so to another. Given that God gave us the ability to react to painful or uncomfortable stimulation then if it hurts look away seems the most sensible answer!

if it is visible wavelengths, and not a coherent beam, no one can- fight the reflex to look away or shut the eyes before damage occurs

if coherent, damage can be instantaneous, and of course if invisible, you won't look away fast enough

DimmerD

Enlightened

How many lumens ate dangerous mushrooms? Anyone have an answer for that part??? Or was that just to get me to click and see?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quick answer: Lumens don't eat--so none of them ate anything! Staring into a bright light is stupid. Don't do that! Your eyes are not replaceable parts like sensors on a car.

purelite

Enlightened

Dude i think yu ate the dangerouos mushrooms. when you come down from your trip and get your thoughts together you will have the answer to your question.

I am the Walrus KooKookaChoooo!!!!!!!!!!