Titanium Arc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets22

Enlightened
Titanium Arc

Well not really titanium...Thought you might like seeing a Titanium Nitride plated Arc LS that I did. This plating is much harder than HA3 and seems to hold up better. web page

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Re: Titanium Arc

I like the look of TN. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost?

Jets22

Enlightened

I do large runs of various TiN plating and can throw a couple "special" projects in. The plating process is quite expensive on short runs...I would say this would cost $200.00 if you went to a company and had just one plated like this. 200.00 dollars is usually the minimum production charge.. Most companies don't want to take the time to do one or two pieces. I've been lucky because this is some very nice plating.

Jets22

Enlightened

Funny you should ask about the AAA. Yes it could, and I was just talking to someone earlier today about doing some. I think they will look great.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

Xrunner,

I like your way of thinking although I was thinking of the AA model.

Jets22

Enlightened

Most plating is in industrial applications and medical. Knife blades are also done. Drill bits are plated with this stuff to give you an idea just how tough this plating is. The plate is also very thin but covers well...Hardness is up in the 80's on the Rockwell scale. Good EN plate that is heat treated only goes about 55. In large runs probably less than $3.00 or $4.00 dollars.

paulr

Flashaholic

Ooooh, that is really beautiful. Does the treatment strip off the old HA3 coating before applying the TiN?

Jets22

Enlightened

The one thing about this process is the material must be very clean prior to plating...This one was stripped and polished prior to plating..I actually almost mirror polished the whole light so the titanium nitride would have a ultra smooth look.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Can you get TiAlN done? Tough as nails (tougher than TiN), and a mice matte gray

Charlie

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Titanium Nitride is also offered in flat or shiny black. Flat if bead blasted first. Shiny if not.

Jets22

Enlightened

I have done both the Titanium Carbo Nitride and the Titanium Aluminium Nitride coatings. All the coatings are equally durable..the carbo and Alum. nitrides give a black finish to dark grey. The TiN gives a gold finish. If you want a glossy finish you need to polish the material prior to plating. I actually do like the TiAN finish better than TiCN.. on looks value alone.

LongFei

Newly Enlightened

I wonder how many people would be interested in doing this with their lights. The main problem is of course changing the production finish and such of the lights beforehand, but it could be a rather cool way to spiffy-up one of those "treasured" lights.

I would love to TiAlN or TiN my L4 and Arc AAA, but I would hate to lose the cool labels and such.

E

EchoSierraTwo

Very nice work, bravo. I wish I had FU money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif I would everything that I wanted plated to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif so you would consider a special project if enough people were interested, huh? Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Way cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Klaus

Jets22

Enlightened

Thanks again guys! Everyone who has seen this light in person has wanted one (or tried to buy this one). I hope at some point Nitride plating can be a viable option for flashlight plating. As things are right now it's just too expensive in small batches.

Status
Not open for further replies.