Buried with a Surefire?

Scrumpy777

Newly Enlightened
My father recently died and I would like to bury him with his limited edition Surefire 6P-USA that I got him, including 2 surefire batteries inside the light. I would use the lockout tailcap so it doesnt activate accidently.

Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I am located in Illinois and the temp ranges from below freezing to the low 90's in the summer, but the ground temp should be much more stable.

What would happen to the batteries, would they run a risk of leaking through the body of the flashlight some how?

Thanks in advance, need advice ASAP.

Imon

Enlightened
Re: Burried with a Surefire?

Sorry to hear about your loss Scrumpy.

Just out of curiosity though why are you including the batteries along with the flashlight?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lithium primaries do not leak, so no worries.

ganymede

Enlightened

I am sorry to hear about your loss Scrumpy777.

Why not frame up the light together with a nice photo of him as a remembrance?

chaoss

Enlightened

Sorry for your loss and no, i would not for two reasons.
Do you think possibly that he would have wanted you to continue to cherish and use it?
Secondly, i personally would NOT trust the people charged with the burial process to do the right thing and leave it in the casket. <This is just my many years of experience talking.

Obviously, this is a very personal decision that only you can make and whatever you decide to do will ultimately be the right course of action.

cccpull

Enlightened

I have to agree with chaoss. It would be better for you to keep it as a reminder of something you and your dad shared.
Again, sorry for your loss.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for your loss. But I think you would feel more of a remembrance by keeping the light as a memorial to your Dad.

CMAG

Enlightened

Sorry for your loss, some good thoughts posted and a tough one brings back memories of a good friend, who said "leave me some tools when I go so I can fix the @@@ box when it leaks " at the service (asking his wife first) we sent him off with a Snap On 9/16.

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome, and my condolences. :sigh:

I think everyone is right.

Keeping it as a memento is a nice idea if you care to do so.

If you really want to bury it, I don't think it matters much. You can pull the cells out if you are inclined and use them in another light, as it isn't too important if the light in the casket lights up or not. Conversely, you could leave them in there. If by chance they do leak, he is no longer in a position to be harmed by them. There is no downside either way.

Do whatever feels right to you, I think. Again, my sympathies.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also sorry for your loss, Scrumpy. I wasn't sure what advice to offer - but then four words rose unbidden to my mind.

"This was your grandaddy's."

Just a thought.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I would put it in a nice glass case. Lube the o-rings with some nice silicon lubricant, take the batteries out, and put it in a nice spot. IMO every family should have a time capsule. What better addition?

--

And if you really want to bury it with him ...

It's dark after death, maybe the SureFire 6P will help light his way.

--

Personally, I would write a nice heartfelt letter and bury that with him. A letter meant for his eyes only.

Last edited:

MoDestiny

Newly Enlightened
Hi Scrumpy,

Like most of the others, I don't think burying the flashlight with your dad would be the best solution. In fact, I think you should use that light on a regular basis. I was in the same boat when my uncle who got me into flashlights in the first place passed away. I ended up receiving most of his flashlight collection. Some of the rarer models like the original Inova X5 he cherished are locked in my safe, but the rest are being used regularly. In fact, a yellow mini maglite (since modded with a terralux led) that he put his name on was one of the main lights that I used during a recent blackout. I'm not sure about your father but my uncle would have wanted to see his beloved lights being put to good use today.

cubegleamer

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry for your loss. I think that would be a great way to say good-bye. If you shared a love a flashlights with your father I think that it make a beautiful memory. If you have a son maybe he can do that for you when the time comes to see your father again. It can be a new family tradition. My prayers are with you and your family.

Xacto

Enlightened
I am too very sorry for your loss.

A nice idea to leave his cherished light with him, after all - why not? Giving things to the deceased did work with many ancient cultures.
Regarding the batteries.... why? The light itself is one thing from a memento view of things, but working batteries?

On the other hand - keeping the light, using it and maybe one day giving it to an offspring of yours would too be a good idea.

But if you really decide to leave the light with your dad, I would check your local law if it is okay to put things into the casket. I know that the US aren't as tightly regulated when it comes to the deceased as germany is, but I could imagine that there could be a problem.

Again, my best wishes for you in these hard times. Being a dad and still having a dad I can say for sure - next to having a mum (and probably being one), the concept of "Dad" was a great idea of nature.

Regards
Thorsten

jamie.91

Enlightened
Sorry for your loss

If that's what you want do do with the light do it, you might regret it if you don't, after all it was from you to him, there are other things like photos that you can keep, I would think of it as he might have more use for it than you if you know what I mean, in a more spiritual sense.

I'm rambling, basically do what feels right, and if that is slide two battery's into the light and sending it with him, then do it

Jamie

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I am also sorry for your loss, Scrumpy. I wasn't sure what advice to offer - but then four words rose unbidden to my mind.

"This was your grandaddy's."

Just a thought.

My condolences for your loss.

I can't tell you the best way to mourn your loss. However, I think Chrontius has a point.

You would not be burying the light with your father. He is no longer here. You would be burying it with his shell. "Wealth" takes a very different form where he is now (most likely in the form of relationships rather than material things), and I suspect he would want you to keep using the light. Furthermore, I think you would honor your father the most by demonstrating what he stood for to your own children.

Last edited:

budynabuick

Enlightened
I don't know you(sorry if i am speaking out of turn), but My condolences for your loss as well. While i understand your sentiment(i may consider doing the same thing myself), but i also think i would regret it at a later time. I just lost my 38 year old son and we buried him with his favorite head band (none of his jewelry). Now if i was a head band wearer, i would have kept it and wore it in his remembrance. As was stated, some of these people clean out the casket before covering it! I know someone that is in the industry and it is a common thing. They justify it by calling it a waste. Hope you make the right choice for YOU.

Keith

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry for your loss, Scrumpy. My father died several years ago, and as we three siblings went through his house, it gave us an opportunity to choose things of his that we wanted, for sentimental reasons. There is an old, cheap plastic 'telechron' wall clock that was on the wall of his garage, for as long as I can remember, growing up. It's old, the plastic is kind of dirty, and it's missing a knob, but I'm looking at it now on my wall while I type this, and it reminds me of him. I have one of his vintage Wyler wristwatches on my wrist right now. The dial is discolored with age, and it seems to lose about 5 minutes over the course of 2 or 3 days, but every time I check the time, I think of him. You are free to do whatever you wish, of course, and I know that you want to treat the ritual of his burial with love and respect. I think that, somehow, he 'knows' that. I do think that you would deeply value having and/or using his light in the future - perhaps to pass on to someone else, with a story, of the man who owned it years before.