Looking for the perfect walking light

richpalm

Banned
Been through a lot of lights and haven't found anything to quite fill the bill.

When I say I have no night vision, I'm understating it. It is bad to non-existent.

I tried a SL Propoly 3C but still have to swing it around to see, plus it is barely bright enough for my lousy vision. Same with the Lightwave 4000. I'm remiss to use my L4 for hour long dog walks 'cause the thing runs so dang hot.

So I'm looking for the perfect, bright flood with *no* hotspot, plus something I won't stroke out on if it gets lost, scratched, or dropped in water, bashed, etc. That leaves out my Surefires!

Ideas anybody?

Thanks a lot,

Rich

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you might want to go rechargeable. Maybe the 10X, Tigerlight, or Ultrastinger. You might not find a light with no hotspot, but you could certainly add a beamshaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
If a MagLite 3D is not too heavy, you may try an Inretech Super 6... Six luxeons without optics should provide a very wide and bright flood.

Chris

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or how about one of those M@g HID mods that one of our Japanese CPFers made? Can't remember exactly who it was though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Richpalm----Glad you made it home after Sunday's party.
Have you considered a headlamp? No need to swing it around to see where you are going.
There are a bunch of Luxeon headlamps coming out real soon. I am patiently waiting for the Princeton Tec Matrix 2.---Marc

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... how about one of the 5 watt luxeons from Streamlight TL-3?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm.. i'unno man..

my favorite walking light is the Tec40.. i like it 'cause it can spot things, but it's also giving off enough sidespill to illuminate things to the sides of me.. not well enough for what you'd want maybe, since i find myself panning the woods a bit with it..

the dorcy 8 LED 2c light puts out some pleasant walking light.. maybe a bit dim..

there's the SL Propolymer 4AA.. one of my favorite lights.. even tho i have to borrow it from a friend as i don't have my own.. but i think it's light is similar to the Lightwave 4000.. i think the Propolymer puts out a nicer looking light tho..

someone mentioned the super 6.. i think if you were willing to let go of that much money for your walking light the intratech trilight would be nicer for walking, as it's a bit brighter distance illuminator.. or maybe a tektite expedition star.. but i'm trying to keep my ideas more affordable tho i guess..

i was thinking of mentioning some lithium lights too.. but i didn't think the hour runtime would be very practical.. i was tempted to mention the Legend LX, it can provide a very nice walking light indeed.. but alas! you can't be buying batteries on a walk to walk basis..

-Ryan

paulr

Flashaholic
I really like the McFlood beam and find the 1 watt 1x123 McLux TK plenty bright enough for walking, but if you want it brighter you could set it up with 2x123 and 5 watts. You might want to underdrive it some so it won't get too hot.

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I really like the McFlood beam and find the 1 watt 1x123 McLux TK plenty bright enough for walking, but if you want it brighter you could set it up with 2x123 and 5 watts. You might want to underdrive it some so it won't get too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way I'd really like to go... 5W McLux is on the Lust List. Methinks it would be hard to find.

I have a 1W with a McFlood... don't think that's gonna quite do it but it's great for close up tasks-has the kind of "walking" flood I want. No kidding about lousy night vision! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I tried my 10X and had to pan all over. Tried a friend's SL 4AA at the NJ gathering this weekend... not bright enough to suit me. What a PITA, huh?

Had more ideas. Maybe an L1. Anyone got experience with one? Or maybe an ARC LSL.

What I thought of as I typed was how nice a drop-in mod for a Stinger would be. Problem solved-Luxeon flood and rechargeable. I've got two Stingers.

Thanks all,

Rich

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR-X! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is very bright, very white, and runs great on NiMH batteries. It has an extremely intense, far throwing hotspot, and very inpressive sidespill. It is expensive, but worth it.

richpalm

Banned
Yeah, I saw one at our photon festival this weekend... NICE! (...gee.. never thought of that...)

I did put myself on the list for the 2nd run. Hope I get the $$$ by then.

onelight

Enlightened
The SF L4 is as close to a 5-watt McFlood as I can think of in a production light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The L1 on high is not near as bright as the L4 and it does not sound like the low setting of the L1 would be much use to you.

JJHitt

Enlightened
Almost sounds like you want a lantern instead of a flashlight... I'd suggest looking at some of the cold cathode lanterns out there.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently walk with either an MR-X or Magcharger w/WA1160. How long are your walks? If over 40 mins, you'll want to consider something else. The M/C w/stock bulb will go 2 hours. A Tiger will go 60. All of these options are good out-of-the-box ones. Lots of light and rechargeable. A Blaster VI w/ Pilas wouldn't be a bad choice, either, and will go 2 hours.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by where you live I would use a Tigerlight for sure and pack a long some extra heat like Glock 20/21! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 3AA. No heat at all. Brighter than LW4000. No expensive batteries. Good throw. Reasonable size. Long run time.

I just bought 2 more from Brightguy. Unfortunately they are a little greener than my first one, but you can only tell that by shining them on a white wall at short distance.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
If you want something big and bright you cannot beat an Elektrolumens like my 5W Cyan Luxeon. As well as having a beautifully smooth output (I believe that Wayne's secret ingredient is some kind of diffusing tape over the Luxeon's lens). It has an incredibly good throw as well, making it an altogether useful walking torch. Battery life is pretty good, and you have the usual advantage of quality M*g construction coupled with the brilliant technology of the Luxeon! A great accessory for this torch which makes it ac lot more useable is a Grip n Clip. It gives you the wherewithall to hang the torch off your trouser belt or a hook, and the insulated neoprene sleeve protects you from cold metal in the winter. I'm glad to say that despite prolonged use (during a power outage at my parents' house) the torch didn't get exc excessively warm. The Luxeon is very well looked after in Wayne's torches. not too overdriven like in some designs reviewed on this site!