• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired For Sale - 300 Watt HID "Locator" Blackhawk HelicopterTargeting Light - Rare!

BVH

Flashaholic
300 Watt HID "Locator" Blackhawk HelicopterTargeting Light - Rare!

Back up for sale for. International buyer and I mutually agreed to cancel sale. The OEM mfg's box is what I want to use for shipping as it's made specifically to protect the light (specifically, its glass dome) in transport all across the U.S. but it's too large for U.S.P.S. to accept. So International shipping by UPS/Fedex/DHL was tremendously expensive.

I wouldn't be selling this rare light if it was my only one. But I've been hoarding 3 for a few years and it's time to let one go. (check out the video link at the end of this post to see it in action)

Loc129FrontViewSpareBulbs.jpg

This light produces amazing amounts of Lumens and throws them way, way downfield. Click below for beamshot comparisons with many known "high power" HIDs. There is no competition! Think of this as 6-8 Polarion PH50s concentrated into one beam plus more throw because of the larger, 5 ½" reflector. It's probably in the neighborhood of 30,000 Lumens

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?198645-SHOOT-OUT-IV&highlight=shootout

(Note: At the time of the shootout, the light had one of the remaining original bulbs which ran at 5500K. The replacement bulbs run at 3300K according to the printing on them but to my eye, it looks closer to between 3900K and 4200K because of the sheer amount of light they put out) (Click below to see newer beam shots with the 3300K bulb)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?313009-Medium-Iron-Beam-Shots&highlight=medium

This is really an incredible HID light package and no beamshot pics can really show you what it does as compared to seeing it in-person. I had both the VSS-1 and VSS-3a tank lights and this light puts them to shame – as far as flooding a field up to a distance of 900 Yards with humongous amounts of light. But it does not throw a pencil beam for miles as do the tank lights so no comparison there, tank lights win hands down.

All Locators were originally fitted with custom based G.E. Marc 300 EZ Series, 300 Watt projector bulbs by the manufacturer, Optical Radiation Corporation. Try as I have for many years, I cannot find any more of them. So with Modamags' help, I've installed new Anode and Cathode base adapters that accommodate the G.E. Marc 300 EZS 300 Watt bulb. This bulb is also out of production but you can pick them up new on Ebay and other non-Ebay sites for between $40 and $80 apiece. The Direct Current (DC) bulbs have a rated life of 25 hours and there is a caution note in the "manual" that comes in the bulb package to never run them less than 3 minutes. I just installed the bulb in this light and am including 3 additional brand new bulbs in their original boxes. I will include yet an additional 3 new bulbs for an additional $150.00 if desired.

I modified my original light with a mounting plate that accommodates an On-Off switch and a 2-Dimentional joy stick for elevation and Right/Left movement – as this light will turn near 300 degrees and elevate from just below level to a little more than vertical. As you can see in the pics, the light is equipped with a cooling fan that circulates the captive air within the glass dome. This is to prevent hotspots in the chamber. As with all 3 of my lights, the cooling fan comes on after about a minute or so and runs continuously. I have to qualify "continuously" though. The fan on all 3 lights starts and runs for a bit, then slows down, occasionally stops for a second the runs again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It doesn't seem to matter though as I had two of them running for over an hour one Halloween night. (I was off the beaten path and it drew a ton of lookers)

Power requirements are 25 to 28.5 Volts and about 16 Amps. Click below to see the portable power supply I made to run them and my other 28 Volt lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...table-Power-Supply-for-the-Locator&highlight=

Two 12 Volt automotive batteries in Series runs the light just fine. The 5.5" reflector is Rhodium plated and is in great shape. No scratches or defects. However, it has been cleaned during its' service life so in the right light, you can see "spider webs" as you do on a black automotive paint job. Overall, the light is in very good condition. It weighs about 20 pounds.

I will provide a wiring diagram to wire an On-Off switch and Right/Left/Up/Down functions and any other assistance you might want.

You can own this special gem for less than the cost of a Polarion - $1,499 insured and shipped to your door (lower 48 states). First "I'll take it" post gets it with follow up PM to discuss payment. I prefer a Postal Money Order for payment.

530 Yards
Locatorxtra1.jpg

Loc129BackView.jpg

Loc129FrontViewDomeOff.jpg

Loc129domeofffront.jpg

Video of the Locator in action (Thanks Craig!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux-K8JdUrts

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: For Sale - 300 Watt HID "Locator" Blackhawk HelicopterTargeting Light - Rare!

Glad to see you're finally sharing one of these, hope the buyer likes taking a lot of pictures..

tumblr_lxewbmHeXw1r1xr8bo1_500.gif

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For Sale - 300 Watt HID "Locator" Blackhawk HelicopterTargeting Light - Rare!

For less than the price of a Polarion this is a bargain. Good luck on your sale!

That gif looks creepy, btw.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

:eek: OMG :eek:

BVH builds are awesome
I LOVE MY 84W Blitz

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've seen one of BVH's lights in person! ;) it's a sight to behold.
I have a video if you're OK with me posting!

Craig

BVH

Flashaholic

I've seen one of BVH's lights in person! ;) it's a sight to behold.
I have a video if you're OK with me posting!

Craig

Absolutely! Post away! (Maybe send me a copy of the file?)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somebody please buy this and stop it tempting me !

Im trying to figure out how I can afford it.

I don't need another light, I don't need another light, I don't need another light

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its not just another light its the
One Light to rule them all, One Light to find them,

One Light to bring them all and in the darkness BLIND them

BVH

Flashaholic

As an incentive, I'll provide free delivery anywhere between San Francisco and Los Angeles, generally along the coast, maybe somewhat inland. That means it will be personally delivered to your door for $1425 if you're in the fore-mentioned geographic area. We frequently travel these routes and it would be easy to incorporate a delivery with other business we would conduct. I'll bring along my power supply so you can see it in action.

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened

wow . why are all these great big lights always for sale when I am locked up with other projects ???? :)
I would love to take it but too many projects at the moment

ICUDoc

Enlightened

BVH it might be very troublesome to send this overseas?? Perhaps I am mad....

BVH

Flashaholic

I have mixed feelings about shipping damage from such a long distance trip but in reality, what happens in a 10,000 mile shipment could just as easily happen in a 100 mile shipment. PM me your address so I can play with shipping costs. I will give it some thought.

BarryH

Enlightened

Very Nice!

I wonder how many nights I would have to sleep on the couch (or in the dog house) if the wife found me hiding that in the garage...

exquzmwa

Enlightened

First trick I learned was to get a fifth wheel (or any camper that is comfortable) in order to have a not too unpleasant time in the dog house :) Much more comfortable than sleeping in the car :)

Very Nice!

I wonder how many nights I would have to sleep on the couch (or in the dog house) if the wife found me hiding that in the garage...

matthewcyho

Newly Enlightened

Look like it's an awesome light , start interested on it :)

DM51

Flashaholic

Perhaps I am mad....
Translation might be helpful:

Eng/Aus "mad" = American "crazy"

American "mad" = Eng/Aus "angry"

So he thinks he might be crazy (not furious). LOL

exquzmwa

Enlightened

I'm still just drooling :) Wish I could swing this. My little financial setback last night doesn't help (and I really don't want to put my LS27 / LS20 up). Someone please buy this :)

Flashlight Enthusiast

machine it for some trits so I can find it while camping and I'll consider it:lolsign:

Latest posts