What's a great single CR123 flashlight option?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix TK11 that I love and a Dureelight DBS V2 whenever I want to light up the country side. I'd like to get a black mini that uses one CR123 with a couple different brigtness settings including a strobe. Is there one brand/model that's head and shoulders above the rest or are they all pretty much the same? Thanks.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Wanting a high end light with a strobe would be tricky, as most of the high end makers see strobes for the cheesy gimmick that they are. Yet i think the hds may have a hidden strobe mode. I have a couple of them and can tell you they are probably the best built single cell light on the market, but not sure if theres a strobe mode hidden somewhere in that incredible ui.

thaugen

Enlightened
HDS rotary or clicky.

+1 on the HDS flashlights! They are expensive and take a long time to arrive at your door, but are well worth the money and wait in my experience.

For a smaller and less expensive option I would recommend the Zebralight S31w or H31w (headlamp).

I also have an Eagletac D25C mini that is a very nice light. I am not a big of a fan of twisty lights, but it has hidden strobes and a nice Low, Med., High twisty UI.

jamie.91

Enlightened
Not an expert but my recommendation would be the quark mini, affordable, hidden strobe mode, bright enough, quite small and other tints are available

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Not an expert but my recommendation would be the quark mini, affordable, hidden strobe mode, bright enough, quite small and other tints are available

After doing some searches this morning the 4Sevens Quark Mini is at the top of my list. I found a reviews of several and the HDS retails for about $200, the Quark is at $45 or so. I found a wbesite offering the Quark for $37 - no tax, free shipping - sounds like a no brainer to me . . .

Mr_Zombie

Newly Enlightened
I made the same dicision a couple of months ago and pulled the trigger on a 4sevens. But here I am paitently waiting for my HDS rotary to come in the mail. Dont get me wrong the 4sevens served its purpose, but at the end of the day it is exactly what you are paying for. Hummer (HDS) vs Mini Van (4sevens).

wamcneil

Newly Enlightened
I've got an off-the-wall suggestion for a light that gets very little coverage: Lumapower IncenDio. I had planned to get a Quark 123 Neutral, but got tired of waiting for them to come back (plus I inquired and was told that they had no plans to reintroduce the neutrals...). So I took a chance on this incendio and it's turned out to be a great little light. Not much bigger than a Q mini, has a Neutral XML and pumps out a TON of light on RCR123. Great anodizing, strong clip and has an optional big reflector head if you want to turn it into a pocket thrower.
No disco modes though...

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
After doing some searches this morning the 4Sevens Quark Mini is at the top of my list. I found a reviews of several and the HDS retails for about $200, the Quark is at $45 or so. I found a wbesite offering the Quark for $37 - no tax, free shipping - sounds like a no brainer to me . . .

the quark minis are great for just throwing in your jacket as a backup, i have two currently. but the HDS is by far a better light. i would get both. the quark for the quick fix, then order a HDS and patiently wait for it while your playing with your quark. also you dont need to get the $200 rotary, there are different price points within his line. i would revisit the website and look it over.

dubbel-v

Newly Enlightened
Don´t know what is high end or not (i´m a newbie in flashlights) but I sure like my Klarus XT1C. Hi/med/low and a strobe. Nice and easy UI.

// Henrik

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
You asked for a recommendation for a light that is " head and shoulders above the rest". Now it appears you are really just looking for "affordable". There is NO comparison between HDS and 4Seven.

My bad - I recind the "head and shoulders" requirement. I have a tendency to follow the "Best Buy" approach from Consumers Digest - so price is a consideration (except for my optics which I don't mind getting the best). But with already having a Fenix TK11 and a Dureelight, I don't need a $120 - $200 light that runs off a single CR123. There's "better than it has to be" and then there's "good enough for what it's for" - at $37 shipped, the 4Sevens Quark will do. Thanks and I appolgize for the wrong direction.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
If we are talking affordable options, the Lumapower Incendio is the best option. They are offered in your choice of neutral or cool tint, xml or xpg led, and have one of the strongest deep carry pocket clips available, ever. The 4 levels of brightness are well separated, the annodizing is top notch, and they cost about $60. Youd have to spend $200 on an HDS to do any better.

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
Well . . . . after spending the afternoon researching single CR123 mini lights, I was still leaning towards the 4Sevens Quark and the Olight i1. But there were reviews for each one that indicated "loose threads" when twisting to turn the light on and off. And one review said the threads "skipped" on them once. That turned me off and I stumbled across the Fenix PD20 which has a tail switch. Since I like my Fenix TK11, I may as well stay in the family. I logged on to PTS, got an immediate 10% off with free shipping. So for $50.16, it's on it's way. It may not be a HDS, but it's good enough for me. I think there was a review on this forum that convinced me as well, thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, HDS.

SureFire's E1B is good too if you like a narrow beam.

I know some will disagree but my favorite is the SureFire L1 Cree. Output is not as impressive compared to other single-cell CR123 based lights. But the form-factor is excellent. So is the dual output U.I.

Would I buy a new one? No! Not at $159 MSRP. That price is not remotely competitive nowadays with offerings from other companies. Thankfully, a used L1 in excellent condition can be picked up for just over half the price of a brand new one. At around $90 for a nearly mint L1, it's worth getting one.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive had both the quark mini 123 and hds clicky. and even at those price points i wouldnt buy another mini, but would get another hds.
the extra $13 for the pd20 was a good decision.
i like my sunywayman v10r, its one of my most carried lights. :)

TadpolePilot

Newly Enlightened
I will have a Fenix 20PD on the 17 of this month for my EDC.
Was using Streamlight Strion C-4 LED and a Insight XR 150R rechargables. They are in the
5 1/2" + range to 5.9" that's why I went for the PD20 Fenix at only 3".