EDC Diffuser / Lantern Attachment - No Cost, Bulk, or Weight

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to share an idea that I came up with having some experience with photography and ultra-light camping. I like it better than the 360-degree lanterns/diffusers (like the Fenix sex toy) since it is directional and you can keep it out of your line-of-sight, without wasting any light. It's just a business card held in place by the light's own clip:

6677226831_64fb9bb8d8_b.jpg

6523054055_1f1fbd25db_b.jpg

Last edited:

hook63

Newly Enlightened
Re: EDC Diffuser/Lantern Attachment - No Cost, Bulk, or Weight

good idea, have you tried wrapping it in foil?

Outrider

Newly Enlightened

Hi Reppans & :welcome:. Great idea, follows the KISS principal, zero cost, and material can be found anywhere. Thanks for posting !!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

good idea, have you tried wrapping it in foil?

Great idea hook63!... I had some aluminum foil tape left over from some duct work and put it on half the business card so I can switch off between reflector and white card halves. Tried both sides with my hands-free reading mode - clipped to my shirt - which normally only works with 90-degree angle lights like my Zebralight. Both work out perfectly for what I want to do. Finally had time to take some pix.

White card diffuses much more and is better for covering a lot of area, but you'll need a higher lumen mode to read with (2nd photo is 4 lumens). Reflector retains the hot spot, but still diffuses it to a much nicer size for book reading at the lowest lumen levels (3rd photo is 0.6 lumen moonlight), and will be my preferred choice when I need max runtimes (eg, camping) or don't want to disturb others (eg, night reading with my wife driving).

Hope some of these ideas work for others.....

6691014575_439fb1365c_b.jpg

6691010975_61133e83ef_b.jpg

6691012783_4bc5628010_b.jpg

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Ah yes just like a flash reflector. Nice!

GaAslamp

Enlightened

In the past I have, on a number of occasions, bounced a flashlight beam off a light-colored object when I needed a diffused area light, and one time I had to use my EDC notepad (propped open) as the object in a pinch (worked fine), but I never thought to use a bent business card attached to the clip. What a terrific idea! :thumbsup::bow:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK... last "enhancements."

Packaging tape covering the back to provide some additional durability/integrity, and holding down the two orange strips. The orange strips are wire twisty-ties to aim and hold a set angle for the card. One additional pix showing how the reflector (thanks again hook63) works for 90-degree angle tailstanding.

6695794507_862e41d4cd_z.jpg

6695361809_63af09f669_z.jpg