Imalent        

Thread: Whats the best light for up close use

Default Whats the best light for up close use

I'm a tech and most of the time I am working indoors and upclose. I always felt that a light with a tight bright beam was best. But I have recently been using the fenix E05. Its not as bright but it is very floody and seems to give off an even amount of light to work with. I am finding myself liking the floody light for close up work. Am I going against the grain?

Default Re: Whats the best light for up close use

The Sunwayman V10R XM-L is excellent for up-close. The XM-L is very floody, and the adjustability makes sure you can dial up just the right amount of light.
    "I see the light, drill sergeant!"

like you, i've found the E05 to be about as good a close-up as i've found. a "best-buy". i have one in my pocket as i type...

Yep, the Fenix E05 is tops for that even, floody type of closeup beam, however, don't overlook the possibility of adding diffusion material to a different light to help even out the beam. That way you could have adjustable brightness levels as well.

Flashaholic

Zebralight H501, H501W, H51F, H51FW. The H501(W) will be all flood while the H51F(W) won't be as floody but still nice for up close work.
    FYI- The W denotes warm led (actually its neutral). If it doesn't have the W in the model then its a cool tinted led.
    Last edited by Mikellen; 01-12-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling

The ZL H501W is pretty tough to beat. It can be too floody sometimes, but is a great task light with many ways to use/attach.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlight View Post
    I'm a tech and most of the time I am working indoors and upclose. I always felt that a light with a tight bright beam was best. But I have recently been using the fenix E05. Its not as bright but it is very floody and seems to give off an even amount of light to work with. I am finding myself liking the floody light for close up work. Am I going against the grain?
    I agree with you. I like using the fairly floody beam of my SF T1A Titan for close work. I still prefer a light with more throw for outdoor use though.

Robert

Some of my favorite lights for close up use are

McGizmo Mule high CRI - no reflector, super smooth flood without hot spot, high CRI for accurate colors.

McGizmo Haiku XM-L - cool white but nice tint, reasonable amount of flood covering a large area.

Zebralight H501w - superb flood lighting, neutral white tint pretty close to high CRI.

4Sevens stainless steel Preon ReVO neutral white - nice flood even though it uses XP-G, tint a little too yellow instead of warm but it is still acceptable.

HDS 100 HCRI Clickie - floody enough, high CRI, multiple output control from lowest of 0.07 to 100 lumen.

HDS R1B Rotary - floody enough, rotary control pretty straight forward to use.

Overall, I have quite a few other lights, including some Surefire, that are compatible with the Surefire F04 diffuser. When the diffuser is added on to the lights the beams are transformed into a nice smooth flood beam.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

I am finding myself liking the floody light for close up work. Am I going against the grain?
    Not at all, at least from what I've seen--it seems that the vast majority of people here have the same preference. Actually, I'm one of the apparent few who goes against the grain in this regard. While I sometimes prefer an even flood, in general I keep going back to the old hotspot+spill beam profile for up-close tasks (as long as it's not a super-throwy pinpoint of light, that is). I think this is because most of the tasks I do that involve a headlamp or flashlight require my focus to be on a small area anyway, and as long as I still have a sufficiently bright spill to help me see other things around my area of focus, I think that I usually work better (and actually feel more comfortable) with a regular beam. In the broadest sense, it's just a way of allocating light to where it's needed the most, which is a form of efficiency. Accordingly, for tasks in which everything in a wide area (near or far) has equal priority, I prefer floody light. By the way, I also prefer floody light for reading (words or maps) so that I can move my eyes around rather than my head or flashlight.
    Last edited by GaAslamp; 01-11-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Flashaholic

Being a tech myself i know what you mean. i use two lights all the time, of course all the lights listed so far are great but i use the following

4Sevens Preon
    Sc51W

for my upclose work i sometimes hold the light in my mouth. so i usually want a skinny AA/AAA for that purpose, and multiple levels for me as well

but i have to say also that i have V10R and Surefire Titan and they are awesome for upclose, they are just a mouthful

I agree with several others the H501 gets the nod for up close work. And it is a head light freeing both hands. A good diffuser will do the same thing to any light. Eliminating the hot spot is just easier on the eyes.
    Ra 120/XPG -R4, Ra 100w, SC50W, H51+W, SC31W, H501W, Sunwayman V11R High CRI, DEFT FTP, DEFT EDC-X, Eveready Moodoolar Pocket Clicky, McGizmo HD45, MR. Bulk Ti Dragon/RPM set, 2 olight M20 Warriors, Alu ITP A3 & Ti ITP A3.

Flashaholic*

The floody Zebra's with the optic are great. E series Surefires and HDS EDCs with the Surefire F04 diffuser also work well. Having the whole work area or object uniformly illuminated is much easier on the eyes than a bright hot spot illuminating a small area surrounded by dimmer spill light.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Like Tiggercat, the Sunwayman V10R XM-L T6, nice and floody and fully adjustable from dim to bright.

Flashaholic*

Depending on what needs to be illuminated this used-to-be pretty good amateur photographer would suggest diffuse area light with a moderately bright center spot. Not too powerful that it creates glare though.

But my favorite light for close up work is actually a setup of multiple diffused lights to wipe out any shadows.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

another for the ZL H501w. i love mine

Flashaholic*

I like to use both hands when I'm working on something, therefore I wear a headlamp. I like Sparks SD5/SD6. I'd also consider Zebralight too.
    Wish: 1) Super low beacon; easy find flashlight. 2) Low voltage indicator, so not stranded without light. 3) Simple, one handed control ring mode changer (magnetic control ring). 4) Flood beam for walking/tasks. 5) Pocket carry. 6) LiFePO4.

Consider Balder BD-2, not bad also.
    ~ Better and Brighter Future ~

I've actually roughed up the bottom edge of a front tooth from holding a knurled aluminum bodied flashlight in my mouth. Soooo, when I need light for up close work, it's my ZL H51fw that gets ALL the use! The frosted lens on the "f" series is just awesome for smooth even lighting. I have many other lights and probably 3 or 4 Surefire F04 beam diffusers. But just can't deal with holding the light in my mouth. I'll never be without a ZL headlamp, ever! They're great headlamps! YMMV
    Last edited by mrlysle; 01-12-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mrlysle View Post
    I've actually roughed up the bottom edge of a front tooth from holding a knurled aluminum bodied flashlight in my mouth.
    I can sympathise with that and have over the years become quite adept at holding the flashlight under my arm, as for up close illumination a variable output light is a must, I'm still being well served by a JetbeamIII-M
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

I've actually roughed up the bottom edge of a front tooth from holding a knurled aluminum bodied flashlight in my mouth. Soooo, when I need light for up close work, it's my ZL H51fw that gets ALL the use! The frosted lens on the "f" series is just awesome for smooth even lighting. I have many other lights and probably 3 or 4 Surefire F04 beam diffusers. But just can't deal with holding the light in my mouth. I'll never be without a ZL headlamp, ever! They're great headlamps! YMMV
    Thats why I'm liking the E05. Its a single AAA that is about the size of half a cigarette. It is easy to put in the mouth. I wouldn't recommend it for all day use but for a few minutes here and there it does the trick without the need of a head attachment.

I have the E05. It's a good light, but it's no Zebralight H501. You have to use both to appreciate the difference.

As for the using a small flashlight hand-free, a headband attachment is highly recommended. I use the E05 with a head attachment.
    EDC: ZL H52w, H502w

The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

I like the Lighthound single 14500/AA XML(aka Badler SE-1). It has three modes, H, M, and super Low. The flood level/angle is quite wide.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Flashaholic

My Zebralight H51FW in its headband is my most used and practical light. That's why my teeth are sooo smooooth.

Enlightened

sounds like a need for something like this http://www.frys.com/product/3225041

I like the Eagletac P20C2 MKII XM-L, nice floody beam with awsome brightness. It's my EDC light.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
    The ZL H501W is pretty tough to beat. It can be too floody sometimes, but is a great task light with many ways to use/attach.

+1 on ZebraLight H501 headlight used as a flashlight. smooth, flawless flood, high, medium, low and ultra-low moon mode.

McGizmo Mule High CRI

Flashaholic

Sweetlight, I tried a throwy hotspot at work also and did not like it, it was a SWM V10A with Cree XPG. The working distance is 1'-3' and a rack is dark with shiny chassis. The reflection from the hotspot was blinding and when I turn the brightness down the spill went away and all I had to work with was the hotspot which now was to small.

I went to a SWM V10A XML more floody beam and when it's turn down I still have enough lighted area to work with. I sold the V10A XPG.

=D~~ Kilted.

Update 1-27-2012;

I will add to my suggestions a Led Lenser P5R having the adjustable head means you can spread that hot spot to a flood and not blind your self. http://www.ledlenser.com/product/p5r runs on LiIon 14500 with a real nice charging system.
    Last edited by Kilted; 01-28-2012 at 12:54 AM.