What makes one flashlight brighter than the next....

340wedge

Newly Enlightened
I got to thinking about this and would like your opinion. I know the led how hard its driven, reflector type and coating, optics, type and coating of lens and so on. Also the beam style makes a big difference to my eyes along with tint.

Anyone care to take a stab at percentages? like....

25% driven
35% led
10% lens/coating
3% reflector/coating
7% tint
5% bin label
15% beam/illusion

Curious to see what others think.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's primarily the specific LED and then how hard it can be driven. Most of the other factors are just dealing with inefficiencies.

If there is no reflector or if it's diffused you have flood and the greater the diameter of the reflector the more throw you will get for that particular LED.

If something is not driven as hard as its specs allow then driving it harder will result in more output.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflector characteristics are also important too. A dedicated thrower that produces more actual light can look dimmer than one that produces less light but spreads it out more evenly. When you concentrate the light in a small area, you get high lux values, but lower lumen values, but of course you get much more range as a result.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
your forgetting something very important: -size of heatsink - how good the thermal path between the led and the heatsink is - what material the heatsink is made of etc.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the light output of the emitter.

Reflector/Optics in my opinion can detract the most.

Last edited:

340wedge

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the replys. I have noticed there are alot of lights with the same leds(some different bins) and guessing driven close to the same given the runtimes and there are good size differences in brightnesses to my eyes. Was curious at what made the differences. Again thanks for all the replies.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the replys. I have noticed there are alot of lights with the same leds(some different bins) and guessing driven close to the same given the runtimes and there are good size differences in brightnesses to my eyes. Was curious at what made the differences. Again thanks for all the replies.

In that situation it's the size of the reflector which is changing your perception as BOwz3r mentions above.