How reliable is a MiniMag?

BIG45-70

Enlightened
So I finally got around to throwing an LED in my favorite Lego Minimag. It's now a blue beamed 25 lumen machine with a relatively good runtime. I throw it in my work backpack with an old Jetbeam single AA twisty.

It got me thinking about the mini and it's place in my collection. I've had four or five over the years and have never had one fail, but I've also never used one consistently. I loose them before they break.

So how reliable is the Minimag and what are your experiences?

Imon

Enlightened
Yeah ... I remember owning four Minimags... two incans and two LEDs.

None of them have ever failed but then again I haven't really put them to hard use. Honestly they're not composed of that many parts plus it's a twisty operation. I can't see many way for them to fail...
The incans can have the filament/bulb broken and you can break the lens but other than that I think they're a really solid flashlight. Even the type II ano isn't a huge deal IMO.

One more thing though ... the new Minimag LEDs are actually quite good and I hear they're moving from the Luxeon Rebel to the CREE XP-E - these are way better than those Minimag drop-ins.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I've worn out a couple of Mini Maglights, but only after years of frequent use. Despite the number of Surefires and Streamlights I own, I still prefer a basic Mini Maglight for uses which require running the light constantly for longer periods of time. The incandescent bulbs last a long time, but I am getting closer to having to convert mine to LED if I want to keep using them.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
One more thing though ... the new Minimag LEDs are actually quite good and I hear they're moving from the Luxeon Rebel to the CREE XP-E - these are way better than those Minimag drop-ins.

Good to know. In the case of a Mini-Maglight, a complete new light isn't that much more expensive than a drop-in.

Imon

Enlightened
Good to know. In the case of a Mini-Maglight, a complete new light isn't that much more expensive than a drop-in.
True - I heard the Minimag LEDs went around $15-18 at various hardware stores during Christmas.

Just keep in mind that they have a slightly longer form factor.

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
The 3 cell mag led is still my go to light even over my surefire 6px pro. It out throws and is brighter even though it says it's only like 140

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been EDCing a 2 AA Mini-Mag off and on since 1997 in a belt holster and only burned out incandescent bulbs stopped it from working every time I needed it.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
They fail from having cheap batteries leak in them, never had one break, end up giving them away.
I'd bet on a minimag outlasting the C or D models just because they are so much smaller, less inertia, less levering action, smaller area of o ring seals, stronger per unit of aluminum, etc.

Vesper

Enlightened
They've been passed by in terms of tech, but there's a reason there's one in every house. Maglite captured the market by building a solid product for a good price that's good enough for most folks (at least as far as they know :)).

Fun story: About 20 years ago I lost my minimag in the middle of Olympic National Park at a remote camp we made. I went back there 2 years later and found it, picked it up and was using it that night with the same energizers inside. This area was VERY rugged and remote and took a beating from snow, rain and summer heat. The light was really caked w/ mud and scratched up but otherwise good. Here's a pic of the good ol boy - looked new when i lost it:

DSC06853.jpg

tacticaltony

Newly Enlightened
i got the surefire e2d led defender. i love it, but the cr123 batterys killer on my pocket book. i want somethin that takes AAs like the mini mag led. it sounds so convenient, bright led. maglite name which is really good, the only thing is they havnt been in the l.e.d game for too long and im worried if their lights dont hold up good. i also like the spot to flood, its basically a must, can someone put pictures of the mini mag led in action? im a new edc person and im builing my empire of lights

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I've had/got 4 original Mini Mags. I'm sure they'd all work if I could find them, although I don't know where two of them are.

However earlier this week I converted the newest one (2005 bought) to a TerraLUX MiniStar5 and clicky switch. I hope it proves as reliable as it's significantly improved it's ability.

MiniMagMiniStar2reflector.jpg

EagleTactD25LC2andMiniMag.jpg

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
Not sure but I'd say pretty reliable. I've had my Mini Mag 2AA for a long time (1997 or so). Since 2003 I've been running with it 3-4 nights a week. For about an hour each time. I run NiMH AA's in it and it's got a NghtIze click switch on the end (not the IQ).

In this time period, I've blown through:
Countless incandescent bulbs
NightIze 3 LED bulb (blew one of the LEDs)
A few Alkalines

The thing runs like a top. Just put in a Terralux Ministar2 LED in it and it's nice and bright again. It's a great light for my purposes as it's small enough to run with and easily hand hold, it's cheap enough that if I loose, drop, or kill it it's no big deal, and it takes AA rechargeable batteries so it's cheap to run.

I've also got a 3D Mag that's been with me since I was a kid. It's got an EARLY (2007) TerraLux LED in it (the ones that screwed in with the black plastic heatsink) and a projector lens on it. It's not the brightest but for a flood type light it works great. It's been dropped, thrown, left in cars, etc and still works. A little picky on batteries with the LED but another great light.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I EDCed two mini maglites back in the 90s and from my experience they are very reliable. My only problem was that they do not do well in one's pocket. I have had them turn themselves on on numerous occasions and even had them unscrew themselves and dump the batteries in my pocket. They scratch up easily too. When I learned of other lights i left the old mags at home.

edpmis02

Enlightened
Remember to clean the threads and battery contacts just like a "fancy" flashlight. My choice for around the house "Good enough" utility light..

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I finally got around to throwing an LED in my favorite Lego Minimag. It's now a blue beamed 25 lumen machine with a relatively good runtime.

So how reliable is the Minimag and what are your experiences?
I have had an alkaline battery leak. Luckily the leak was between batteries and the batteries dropped out (did not swell and get stuck). Follow Mag's instruction to store batteries outside the light when in storage.

I have also cranked down too hard on a LED module when shutting off and broken the pins. Suggest you get a tail click switch.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like them or not you'll be more likely to lose a MiniMag than have it quit on you as long as you clean and lube the threads, keep the contacts clean, and use decent batteries. Incan bulbs are fragile and die more rapidly than LED's but that's obvious to almost all of the folks here.

However, I suspect that the #1 killer of MiniMags (and most other flashlights) is having alkaline or carbon batteries leak after being left in them too long.

Not much of this is specific to MiniMags except that they are pretty well made for the money. That you can feel the air being pushed out of the tube as you load batteries and that there is usually a small battery rattle if any are examples of how the K.I.S.S. philosophy meets the real world.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I have half a dozen Minis that I accumulated before I discovered CPF. All now have LED conversions. They all work fine and some are pushing 15 years old. The only big reliability issue I experience is the switch hanging up causing the light to not turn on. Usually all it takes to cure this is a gentle whack against the palm of my hand. I've been concerned about the two thin wire connections from the LED module breaking, but it's hasn't happened yet. These lights aren't babied or shelf queens, I give them to my grandkids to play with when they visit. Nothing like a five year old by for durablity testing.

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO

minimags are about useless nowadays. everyone needs at least 1 3D maglite with a rubber grip...for clubbing heads,
and in the minimag size, there are a number of far better 400-700 lumen lights to choose from

but for the price...can't beat minimag, as it will still work after the asteroid hits, so it does have value

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO

and in the minimag size, there are a number of far better 400-700 lumen lights to choose from

but for the price...can't beat minimag, as it will still work after the asteroid hits, so it does have value
I agree you can buy a lot brighter. But they can still be very usable. If you use it in doors you don't need 400, let alone 700 lumens. 70-120 lumens is more than enough, and this the Mini Mag does very well. Either genuine Mag LED or drop in.