NEW CREE XB-D LED.... Good candidate for a new line of small throwers?

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Just spotted this on their website, what do you guys think?

The XLamp XB-D delivers similar performance to the XP-G LED in a package that is 48% smaller than the XLamp XP footprint.
Leveraging Cree's latest silicon carbide technology and expertise, the XB-D LED delivers up to 139 lumens and 136 lumens per watt in cool white (6000K) or up to 107 lumens and 105 lumens per watt in warm white (3000K), both at 350 mA and 85°C.
Features

Last edited:

Jay611j

Enlightened
Re: CREE XB-D LED.... Good candidate for a new line of small throwers?

Sounds like around the size of and XR-E maybe, but higher brightness. This would make for an AWESOME thrower if this is true.

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Ah... 115 degree angle. But what if it was in a larger reflector?

Imon

Enlightened

Look at the emitting angle

115º
Isn't that the same as the XP-E?

Anyways, perhaps this is a upgrade to their "value LEDs" the XP-C and XR-C?

Edit:
Oh, and is anyone considering requesting a sample LED? :devil:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Yeah a decent size reflector could tame it and make a great thrower.
Inch and a half and larger perhaps for nice reach

my#1hobby

Enlightened

115º
Isn't that the same as the XP-E?

Anyways, perhaps this is a upgrade to their "value LEDs" the XP-C and XR-C?
No sure, but I figured it could be interesting if it would work. It's small and appears to be really efficient.

Freeze_XJ

Newly Enlightened

It will all depend on the size of the die, if that is below 1 mm^2 it's a winner. If larger, we'll probably stick with the XR-E for throwers, and this this will compete on price and in non-throw lights. Considering its low Vf (3.3V @ 1A, giving 280+ lm) and small footprint I think we can expect semi-direct-drive minilights based on this one. Note that throwers will be mostly reflectors, since the beam is incredibly wide from the start. If this baby runs 1.5A as well, I'll get myself 10 :D

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah a decent size reflector could tame it and make a great thrower.
Inch and a half and larger perhaps for nice reach

Doesn't necessarily have to be a wide reflector to create a thrower. My old Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST's reflector is only about 21 mm wide, but is about 25 mm deep, and it throws very well with a nice tight beam profile. While I don't have any 'dedicated' throwers, the Pro ST is no slouch for throw in an EDC-able size. :)

That said, I'd love to see one of these in a long, slim light, with a narrow and deep reflector to generate some good throw. I'd love to have a little 2xAA dedicated thrower. :D

romteb

Enlightened
The package is small but the real important data is the size of the die, do we know it ?

Erzengel

Enlightened
If You look into the datasheets, You'll find out that the intonsity over angle curve looks more like the YP-G, than like the XP-E. Therefore I don't expect good throw capabilities.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Supercharged XP-E,..I'm there!!

Edit: good point Erzengel, it'll still be very functional emitter,
...just take any current XP-G light & without changing anything,, you'll have a bit more throw.

////// /// /

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
This is neat.
I was just thinking about when Cree would make a new emitter while I was laying in bed.
Check CPF, and they made a new emitter. Sweet!

I like the idea of what we're thinking it'll be like. Can someone please stick a XB-D S2 in a flashlight and see what it does.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
If You look into the datasheets, You'll find out that the intonsity over angle curve looks more like the YP-G, than like the XP-E. Therefore I don't expect good throw capabilities.

Even XPG's can throw well with a properly designed reflector that's appropriate for their die size and emission angle. The TK35 is an XML based light and it throws pretty well... The emitter characteristics are important, but they can be trumped by a reflector.

Following up on my earlier post, I'd love to see one of these in something like one of the new 2xAA EagleTac twisties, but with a reflector that's two or three times as deep. I'd be willing to pay the length penalty for the throw it would produce...

And I want one in neutral or high CRI! :D

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Even XPG's can throw well with a properly designed reflector that's appropriate for their die size and emission angle. The TK35 is an XML based light and it throws pretty well... The emitter characteristics are important, but they can be trumped by a reflector.

Following up on my earlier post, I'd love to see one of these in something like one of the new 2xAA EagleTac twisties, but with a reflector that's two or three times as deep. I'd be willing to pay the length penalty for the throw it would produce...

And I want one in neutral or high CRI! :D

This is very true. That's why this is good for those of us (like myself) that don't want long oblong reflectors to get better throw that the XP-G/XM-L have. I understand it's a tradeoff though. The XP/XR-E were good at that. So maybe from what I read you guys are (some of you guys) are expecting with the XB-D being a supercharge XP-E is close to being just that(without the supercharger :p ). I used to have an Energizer Lithium 2AA(XR-E) with a very short reflector and boy that thing could throw.

I was actually thinking the same thing, what if this was in my ol' P100A2?

Jay611j

Enlightened
This is neat.
I was just thinking about when Cree would make a new emitter while I was laying in bed.
Check CPF, and they made a new emitter. Sweet!

I like the idea of what we're thinking it'll be like. Can someone please stick a XB-D S2 in a flashlight and see what it does.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I checked CREE's website and saw a brand new LED :). I figured I would post it since I couldn't find any other info here yet and let the experts take over but then this one popped up, and was beat to the punch... ahemmm my#1hobby. Guess we all think alike. Pretty exciting if this would work in a small light.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not psychic, but I sense my wallet will take a battering. The XB-D looks interesting