• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Withdrawn: 57 Watt Green Machine HID Mod by BVH

Status
Not open for further replies.

BVH

Flashaholic
Withdrawn from sale.

I love acquiring hosts and modding them to HID. Actually, I enjoy doing the project much more than using the final product. Here's a good looking host I modded about 6 months ago or so. I bought the 55 or 100 Watt (can't remember) Halogen host because I loved the striking Fluorescent Green and Black color contrast and because it was relatively small and light weight package making for a good "sleeper" HID. So instead of it sitting on my shelf, I offer it to a good home where it will be used.

I pulled out the 5 AH SLA and installed the 14.8 Volt, 11 AH protected Lithium Ion battery using sticky Velcro. Low Voltage Cut Off kicks in around 13.3V or 3.3 Volts per cell, a nice, safe level to protect the cells. Next, I mounted the 55 Watt (57 actual output Watts) ballast to the back side of the baffle. Then I pulled out the original SLA charging board/port ***'y and installed my own charging pin fitting. I wired the charging pin and + battery wire to the ON-Off switch input terminal. For safety, I added a tiny fuse next between the switch output terminal and the ballast input. Also for safety, I installed two layers of fire-rated blanket between the battery and baffle to protect the battery from any heat given off by the ballast. I connected the input wires to the ballast, installed and screwed the baffle into place and connected the ballast output wires to the bulb. Lastly, I set the reflector in place and screwed down the bezel.

I really love 5000K HID bulbs and used this light to experiment with an over-driven, 8000K, H3 bulb from an old Stanley. Having seen the Stanley next to other 4300, 5000 and 6000K bulbs, it does not look to me like it's anywhere near 8000K. More like 6500K. The net result of driving it at 57 Watts is a gorgeous 5500 to 6000K color temp. It's near the top of my favorite color temp lights in my arsenal.

Obviously, you'll need a Lithium Ion charger to connect to the male charging pin (that I will supply) to charge the battery. Ay one of the cheap hobby chargers on the market will do nicely. It's been a while but IIRC, runtime is between 2 and 2 ¼ hours.

Here's the cost breakdown:

Host……………………………………….. $ 55
11 AH protected Li-Ion Battery……95
Bulb ……………………………………….…..15
70 Watt Ballast……………………………65
Misc Hardware/wiring/shielding..15
Total……………………………………….$245

I'd like to get $50 for my work so I'm selling this great-looking, relatively small and light-5lbs, 5 oz, 57 Watts (to the bulb) sleeper for Reduced to $270 & Free shipping $295 plus $5.00 for shipping to the lower 48 states. PayPal fees included. First "I'll take it" with PayPal payment, gets it. PayPal: [email protected]

Left side

LeftSide.jpg

Right Side

RightSide.jpg

Front End

Frontend.jpg

On/Off switch and charging port

Backswitchandchargport.jpg

Battery installed

Interiorbatteryinstalled.jpg

Fire rated blanket material protecting battery

InteriorFireBlanket.jpg

Ballast mounted to rear of baffle

BaffleRearwithBallast.jpg

Front of Baffle

Bafflefront.jpg

Baffle installed, note fuse

Interiorbaffleinstalled.jpg

Beamshots at 350 Yards, F3.2 and 5 seconds

Green Machine

Green1.jpg

L35

L351.jpg

Green Machine - Left, L35, Right

GreenLL35l.jpg

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: For Sale: 57 Watt Green Machine HID Mod by BVH

Some lucky buyer will snag this one. Good luck on your sale!

BVH

Flashaholic

Where's that "lucky" buyer?

OK, I'll work for half-price. $270 and free 50-state shipping.

BVH

Flashaholic

Thank You! All my projects are so much more fun with the work area clean and tidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.