TK21 U2... How do I know?

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
So mine said so on the package, but if I run across one outside it's package, how do I tell it from the non U2 version?

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Yeah...I knew that, but at a tag sale, or a show where no packaging is evident, and no access to the serial lookup, I wondered if there was a physical difference.

Or maybe a character in the serial that indicates standard vs. U2 version. I'm guessing no physical difference...

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Same question for the E05 R2 and R4 there pretty much identical, you can't even see the emitter.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...I knew that, but at a tag sale, or a show where no packaging is evident, and no access to the serial lookup, I wondered if there was a physical difference.

Or maybe a character in the serial that indicates standard vs. U2 version. I'm guessing no physical difference...

Since the U2 is brighter, then the brighter of the two is the U2 version. Then when you got Internet, check the serial up to check was emitter was installed on your light.

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Since the U2 is brighter, then the brighter of the two is the U2 version. Then when you got Internet, check the serial up to check was emitter was installed on your light.

I sometimes forget how clear my posts need to be.

Scenario:

I'm on my way to...lets say...my underwater basket weaving class.
Along the way is a tag sale, flea market, yard sale, what have you...and I stop
Guy has a light he says is the U2 version.
I do NOT have a light to compare it to. Besides, it's 2:03 in the afternoon, 78 degrees, with a light wind from the east. Let's just say, it's pretty freakin' bright out...no chance of a flashlight comparison.

Is there a way...without a comparison...without a computer...and without ESP, that can I tell if he's telling me the truth simply by looking at the ONE light currently in my hand?

Or do I need to know how tall he is? :)

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So the serial numbers are random? There's no sequence in them that would tell you what LED? Could you tell by looking at the LED?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
While conducting a review, I was informed through a dealer that apparently since Fenix was able to secure enough U2's that was the only version released. There never was a T6 version.

EDIT: I've never corroborated this w/the mfg so best to shoot Fenix a message directly to confirm.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
^^^
I have heard the same thing myself.

I had considered posting this myself, but like you, I wasn't 100% certain, and so thought it best not to.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with trying to see the difference. I bet you cant tell a U2 from a T6 by eyeballing two lights.

fyrstormer

Banned
Good luck with trying to see the difference. I bet you cant tell a U2 from a T6 by eyeballing two lights.
If you have the option of comparing two or more lights, just buy the one with the nicest-looking beam. That's all that really matters anyway. You're not going to be happier with a nasty-looking U2 than you would be with a nice-looking T6.

Munters

Newly Enlightened
Apart from the U2/T6 discussion, there seems to be an updated TK21 U2 model.
I heard they fixed the bad runtimes on 18650 (I get 44 minutes of turbo on an ultrafire 2400mAh en 65 minutes on an Eden (=protected Panasonic) 3100mAh battery).
Also long protected 18650 should fit more easily.
The old model has two springs, while the new model only has a single spring (in the tailcap). So you can tell the difference by putting a battery in. If it doesn't spring back, it is the new model.

offthetrail

Newly Enlightened
The ranges for T6 and U2 are so close the max output for the T6 is the min for the U2, so its quite possible to have two lights, one T6 bin and one U2 bin with identical output anyway. You would never notice a difference in lumens that small even if one was 20 lumens brighter on high. Better looking beam is more important.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened

I sometimes forget how clear my posts need to be.

Scenario:

I'm on my way to...lets say...my underwater basket weaving class.
Along the way is a tag sale, flea market, yard sale, what have you...and I stop
Guy has a light he says is the U2 version.
I do NOT have a light to compare it to. Besides, it's 2:03 in the afternoon, 78 degrees, with a light wind from the east. Let's just say, it's pretty freakin' bright out...no chance of a flashlight comparison.

Is there a way...without a comparison...without a computer...and without ESP, that can I tell if he's telling me the truth simply by looking at the ONE light currently in my hand?

Or do I need to know how tall he is? :)

This is quite possibly one of the greatest responses to such a simple question on this forum that I have read thus far.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the option of comparing two or more lights, just buy the one with the nicest-looking beam. That's all that really matters anyway. You're not going to be happier with a nasty-looking U2 than you would be with a nice-looking T6.
I totally agree with that. But i was thinking of the small difference in output only. Impossible to see the difference between lets say 500 and 535 lumens. I usually yank those efficient new leds out and replace them with T4 neutrals and q4/q5 hi cri leds. I dont mind a huge drop in output for better tint or higher cri. My eyes dont notice that huge drop in output that mutch, but they do notice my favorite tint :)

Latest posts