Am I asking for the impossible?

tomL

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching, and I think the flashlight I want doesn't exist, not yet. Has anyone seen or made one like this?

I want multiple XML-T6 emitters (3 or five would do) mounted on a reflectorless aluminum or copper disc, driven well but not to the max (ok, a turbo mode could be included). All this under a convex zoom lens so I can make it a "throw monster" when needed (slightly out of focus to make the gaps between emitters disappear) or have a nice even floodlight, or anything inbetween. I want an efficient light, and this is the reason for not even coming close to overdriving the emitters most of the time.

What do you all think? Does it exist, is there a way to make one from available parts, will it exist anytime soon?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I've been searching, and I think the flashlight I want doesn't exist, not yet. Has anyone seen or made one like this?

I want multiple XML-T6 emitters (3 or five would do) mounted on a reflectorless aluminum or copper disc, driven well but not to the max (ok, a turbo mode could be included). All this under a convex zoom lens so I can make it a "throw monster" when needed (slightly out of focus to make the gaps between emitters disappear) or have a nice even floodlight, or anything inbetween. I want an efficient light, and this is the reason for not even coming close to overdriving the emitters most of the time.

What do you all think? Does it exist, is there a way to make one from available parts, will it exist anytime soon?
Yeah I don't think so, all 3 XML lights have individual reflectors. Maybe a custom Elecrto-lumens Fire Sword XM-L?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The actual die size would be huge if you look at how far about 3 emitter lights are. Therefore the throw wouldn't be much to speak of especially after defocussing a bit as you suggest.

I haven't actually given this much thought so I could be missing something but that's my initial impression.

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened
You also have a bit of a heatsinking problem if the emitters are close together.