New Maratac "Rev 2" AAA light at County Comm....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont know if anyone here has one but there is a new version of the Maratac AAA light boasting 115 lumens on highand a tighter beam. I see they dont have a mid level anymore though which I dont like. Anyone have one of these? Sorry for no link I havent figured out how to copy and paste on my new tablet yet.

shadeone

Newly Enlightened
damnit, they told me a month or so ago that these were gonna be upgraded to the XPG-R5 like the ITP A3 EOS Upgrade and Olight I3 have... I like the flood on those. The new one here is using the XPE-R3 now.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I see they dont have a mid level anymore though which I dont like.

I strongly agree. Going from a low of 1.5 lumens straight to a high of115 lumens leaves a huge gap in the middle, a medium level something like 15 - 25 lumens would have been good.

Edit: Just read that Rev 2 starts on Hi, not Lo. Some people might prefer that, but I certainly don't (wrecks any night adaptation your eyes might have). I've been waiting for the Maratacs to come out, but now I'll wait for details about the new 4sevens AAA light. If I don't like that then there is always the Olight i3 (and it comes in colours too)

Last edited:

shadeone

Newly Enlightened
I wish Olight, ITP and Maratac (same factory right?) would read these boards... every time they "upgrade" the existing lights in the line, i sigh because they miss something important... and maratac really dropped the ball this time....

in my eyes, the perfect ITP A3 EOS killer/upgrade/replacement would be:

- XM-L... This is a keychain light, not a tactical under-rifle-barrel thrower!

- knurling from the Maratac.. perfect grip for one handed operation. Iluminati was almost there but not quite agressive enough, itp and olight is too slippery with just the lengthwise fluting.

- keychain attachment point of the Iluminati Al... it tailstands AND hangs off keys good. olights sucks, itp didnt tailstand at all, maratac was good but the keychain clip is weak and looks like $#1T

- high mode brighter than current models. self explanitory... you gotta outdo previous models to be a "killer"!

- THREE mode. duh

- "lower" low mode.

- possible mode memory to squash all L>M>H versus H>M>L starting mode arguments. set it on low at night if you dont want to wake up and have high mode kill your night vision. set it on hi if you know you will be out and needing high first. simple as that.

- no more PWM if possible?

im crossing my fingers for 4-sevens shot show aaa light next week.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Olight, ITP and Maratac (same factory right?) would read these boards... every time they "upgrade" the existing lights in the line, i sigh because they miss something important... and maratac really dropped the ball this time....

in my eyes, the perfect ITP A3 EOS killer/upgrade/replacement would be:

- XM-L... This is a keychain light, not a tactical under-rifle-barrel thrower!

- knurling from the Maratac.. perfect grip for one handed operation. Iluminati was almost there but not quite agressive enough, itp and olight is too slippery with just the lengthwise fluting.

- keychain attachment point of the Iluminati Al... it tailstands AND hangs off keys good. olights sucks, itp didnt tailstand at all, maratac was good but the keychain clip is weak and looks like $#1T

- high mode brighter than current models. self explanitory... you gotta outdo previous models to be a "killer"!

- THREE mode. duh

- "lower" low mode.

- possible mode memory to squash all L>M>H versus H>M>L starting mode arguments. set it on low at night if you dont want to wake up and have high mode kill your night vision. set it on hi if you know you will be out and needing high first. simple as that.

- no more PWM if possible?

im crossing my fingers for 4-sevens shot show aaa light next week.

well stated. i couldn't agree more.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
if no mode memory: three way tab or lever inside the head that one could push with tip of a screwdriver or something to choose UI themselves: L/M/H, H/M/L or the old M/L/H. (i prefer the old itp ui sequence of medium-low-high myself)

and i also wish for option for high cri or neutral tint.

5Sport

Enlightened
So does anyone have one yet? I would like to see some beam shots. I was waiting for a natural finish on the last model, and now this. Any reviews out?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see.them update the AA version as well, of course keeping a medium setting and possibly adding a rear clicky....

T45

Enlightened
What I wish Maratac would really do? Keep flashlights in STOCK!!!! I don't know what their supply issues are, but if you want to sell something, it's best to have some around. These months long intervals with nothing available are just irritating.

+1 for Shadeone's Post.

Maratac should add a CR123 Model to their line up too.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Would an XM-L package even fit in the tube?

The lack of medium is a. Bit of a turn off for me personally but it's hard not to like a higher high that also runs for longer.

mzil

Enlightened
I'm very disappointed the new sequence has lost the most used mode for me, medium, and starts bright, so it instantly kills your night vision when you first turn it on, even if all you want is the low.

Their copper version AAA light gets it right: L>M>H, but I don't really want the copper because knowing how sweaty I get I'd expect it to turn green in a year or less! ;)

Last edited:

jondotcom

Enlightened
Would an XM-L package even fit in the tube?

The lack of medium is a. Bit of a turn off for me personally but it's hard not to like a higher high that also runs for longer.

That would be awesome! I'd love to see that even if it had a 10 minute runtime.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
The Guy with no name is making a XM-L AAA light. i think on high it's boasting 400+ lumens with a 10440. It's gonna be freaking insane!!!
heres the link to his thread about it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...A-Flashlight-(photos)-Work-In-Progress-Part-2
For those not following the Torpedo, it's actually looking like it might make 500lm off a 10250 li-ion!

On topic, I do think there is a place for a small EDC light with a little bit of throw. It's all about what you usually encounter in your normal day.

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
I actually like the 2 mode version! I am in the market for a small, AAA torch. I had an ITP EOS A3 single mode until my son lost it, this might be an excellent replacement. 3 modes annoys me in a small flashlight, 2 mode is perfect!

hoppyjr

Newly Enlightened
I folks, I've been away a long while but wanted to chime in on this new Maratac AAA;

I just received two of these from CC and I'm not impressed - at least not like I planned to be. I looked at the beam and directly compared it to my Maratac AAA (version 1) and I actually think the original has a better, cleaner beam. The overall "spill" is the same and the larger "hotspot" is noticed, but the very center of the new V2 version has some dark spots I just don't like. I cannot see any difference i brightness, as any added lumen output is (IMO) mitigated by the dark spots in the center on V2. I looked outside with both V1 and V2 and could not tell any difference. Maybe its just me, but it's not enough to please me. In fact, I do like that it powers on to the highest setting now, but that is the only improvement in my opinion.

Sorry, no camera and therefore no pics - but hopefully this helps those on the fence about this one.

Hoppy

Last edited:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very disappointed the new sequence has lost the the most used mode for me, medium, and starts bright, so it instantly kills your night vision when you first turn it on, even if all you want is the low.

Their copper version AAA light gets it right: L>M>H, but I don't really want the copper because knowing how sweaty I get I'd expect it to turn green in a year or less! ;)

They don't turn green. Not any more than a penny in your pocket does. They do take on the dark finish of a penny, but even that will be kept at a minimum from contact with keys and pocket and use. There's a thread on em with tons of pictures from folks that actually want them to turn green but they don't. Someone even pee'd on one to try to make it tarnish faster!!

whill44

Enlightened
I totally agree with hoppyjr. I just got my new Rev 2 maratac lights and am not pleased with the dark spots in the beam. In every other way they are exactly what I'm looking for. Why didn't they just orange peel the reflector like the rev 1? You know the one that set the standard for small affordable aaa utility lights. MAN! What's a guy got to do to find the perfect carry light.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the new Thrunite TI has done a pretty good job in this category. I'm comparing it to my ITP A3 with the XP-E or whatever the older ones have for an emitter.

It doesn't tailstand but I never can quite picture the need for tailstanding in a single AAA light.

I don't have a problem with the beam in the ITP. They both have an OP reflector but the beam IMO is better in the TI. The spot appears just as bright but the transition to spill is smoother.

It has two modes beginning with low (2 lumens) and then high (65 lumens) and it's all one smooth twisting motion rather than twisting on and off to switch modes in the A3.

I don't think there's any real advantage to using a XM-L in a single AAA light is there?

Latest posts