Upgrade classic Surefire 6P to LED? How?

Cmaster03

Newly Enlightened
I have been intrigued lately by LEDs, and just wondered...would you upgrade a 6P to LED? If so, what is the go-to method/parts?

Vesper

Enlightened

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy any P60 drop-in and unscrew the head, take the incan drop-in out and drop in the new LED unit. You just need to chose a drop-in with a voltage range that include 6V and as long as it also covers 7.2 V you have the choice of using rechargeable li-ion batteries in that size.

You probably want a XM-L drop-in but you might prefer a XP-G as well.

[edit] I see Vesper types faster than I do :)

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 Paths for you, A for ]Quality over price] and B for [Economic]
A: Malkoff, solid brass LED module,nominal drop in at least $65
Only XR-E and XP-G available, less choice of beam profile
Available @ oveready.com
B:Very wide range of module, XRE,XPG,XML,MCE,SST, From flood to throw, as economic as $10, Still stiff and worth. Go to dealextreme search for it
Versatile choice

Chrisdm

Enlightened
There are hundreds of options, but as a 1st led drop-in purchase, I recommend this one:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-p60-xml-3m-9v-neutral.html

It is nicely priced, plenty bright (460 lumens) gives you 3 levels of brightness... But best of all is the 3500k color temp... A little more neutral white than the incan youre used to, but none of the sickly, ghostly blue of the typical budget led module... And I can vouch for the quality, I have 2 of them and Thrunite builds solid products... Lastly the module is an XML led even though the photo shows what looks like an XPG... Go for it!

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having multimode on twisty is pain in a_ _ as its quite easy to switch mode accidentally while pressing
and twisting to change mode is quite inconvenient
I prefer single mode on twisty
$.02

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Having multimode on twisty is pain in a_ _ as its quite easy to switch mode accidentally while pressing
and twisting to change mode is quite inconvenient
I prefer single mode on twisty
$.02

Agreed, I'll add the McClicky switch from Oveready to my recommendation.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide to go LED, the Z59 or McClicky switch is a good addition. Multimodes are a pain with a twisty. The twisty will give you reliability. The clicky will bring you convenience. I prefer clickies on small lights and twistys on large lights. Many of us buy incandescent lights from Lumens Factory and enjoy the color rendition. Your choice. Either would be nice.

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened
sf 6p incandescent..... help?

so, i was at cabelas earlier today, and picked up a new, original 6p incan, couldnt pass up the price... $44. reminds me of an old streamlight stinger i had before the new led versions came out.
a mcclicky is definitely in order, i particularly like cold, blue-ish led light.... ideas on drop-ins? retaining the 123's, battery life, and output are top priorities.... professionals' input?

btw..i like throwies, not floodies

Last edited:

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Re: sf 6p incandescent..... help?

Definitely go with the Malkoff M61

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened

will a solarforce L2 tailcap fit this 6p? theres a crenellated tailcap that looks fun.....(nevermind, im guessing it does, fleabay just answered my question for me) and im about to order a malkoff m61 :D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
why stick with the CR123s?

as to insert: forget malkoff and check with member nailbender's makes.
These are the ones any other are to be compared (and none can stand ground, not even those picey ones)
;)

Schützen

Newly Enlightened
There are hundreds of options, but as a 1st led drop-in purchase, I recommend this one:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-p60-xml-3m-9v-neutral.html

It is nicely priced, plenty bright (460 lumens) gives you 3 levels of brightness... But best of all is the 3500k color temp... A little more neutral white than the incan youre used to, but none of the sickly, ghostly blue of the typical budget led module... And I can vouch for the quality, I have 2 of them and Thrunite builds solid products... Lastly the module is an XML led even though the photo shows what looks like an XPG... Go for it!
I'm also looking for a 6P drop-in LED module. Do you know the runtime for the above drop-in?

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened
why stick with the CR123s?

as to insert: forget malkoff and check with member nailbender's makes.
These are the ones any other are to be compared (and none can stand ground, not even those picey ones)
;)

Because my other 2 lights take cr123s, and using a rechargeable batt in a light is pointless if I have to spend the time to swap them out.... I've got a streamlight stinger led that bypasses all that. And majority opinions rule, I already ordered a malkoff :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

SFG2Lman

Enlightened

+1 for nailbender, his SST-90 drop was an EXCELLENT addition to my 6P

Norm

Retired Administrator

Two similar threads merged - Norm