Going old school

jamie.91

Enlightened
Anyone else ever like to use there older lights every now and then?

Yesterday i went for a run, instead of taking my Xeno E03 or quark MiNi i took my, wait for it, Eagletac T10C:eek:

Theres always hype about the latest lights but sometimes the older ones suprise you, i dragged it out of the drawer, blew the dust off and re-lubed the threads/O rings and stuck an AW in there, Then i remembered how good this light is with GREAT throw, forward clicky, and 2 simple modes easily accessible.

I stuck a lanyard on it and took it with me ( With the quark as back up :devil: ), it was great, i love having a change, does any one else ?

I would love it to be modded with a neutral tint and some more photons:naughty:

And a thread is useless without a picture
SDC13012.jpg

Jamie

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet! I still love my old Fenix L1 (no, not L1P, it is a silver non-P model). I cracked the light engine years ago and updated it to a Seoul P4, and jumped the switch with two 10 Ohm resistors for a 5 Ohm total load on low mode, making it a twisty on-off with the clicky acting as a low-high toggle. Very nice, smooth beam, now fairly modern in brightness, and with 2.5 hour high run time on NiMH, and 25 hours on low, which is all I need most of the time.

But I must admit, even older, and used more often around the house, and while camping, is my old red Dorcy GenII AAA light, modded with a Nichia CS. Love that momentary switch, and while it is a bit big for a AAA light, it is the Timex of lights for me. Been through the wash, dropped on concrete, etc., just keeps ticking!

Almost forgot my 84 cent Walmart light at the bottom of the basement stairs, fit with a Lambda PR2 SMJLED "bulb". I use it to save turning on 8 48" florescent lights when fetching something down there. It is the last resting place before the recycle bin for alkaline AA batteries that are mostly dead.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Well, up until this past fall I was only 'old school' lol. Still use my rechargable craftsman 18v incandescent and 19.2v flourescent around the garage a lot, and dont use it much but have the 6 D maglite (aka the club) and a few AA mini mags... keep loosing those though. They turn up in a years time usually.

Burgess

Flashaholic
My Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon still amazes me !

Its 40 Lumens is Tightly Concentrated into an incredibly bright beam.

What a great Thrower !

This was my very first " Power LED " flashlight, which i received (from Bright Guy) on 3/31/2006.

Oh, and I still keep THIS flashlight on my nightstand, next to my bed :

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-flashlight&p=1910137&viewfull=1#post1910137

( Mine is post #86 )

Old School, indeed !

:whistle:
_

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have what looks like a Surefire 6P, but it says Laser Products. One of the first.

kicker9898

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is a Laser Devices 9P I've had since 1997. Still gets a lot of use but is about to get an. LED upgrade.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going Old School

Well, not exactly going old school, but like the previous poster, I have been in the repair and/or upgrade mood lately. Before the end of 2011, I decided to do something with both my original Inova T4 and Pelican 7060. My wife had dropped the Inova T4 while camping during the fall and it no longer worked. So, I contacted Inova about a repair. As it turns out, they told me that I could simply send the old one in and get a new one for $40. The new Inova T4 is a great light.

About that same time, I decided to contact Pelican because my 7060 tail cap had cracked. They sent me a replacement free of charge!

Next up was a MagLite Mini Mag incandescent. Compared to a couple of original MagLite Mini Mag LEDs that I bought for both of my sons, the incandescent was very underwhelming. So, I bought the TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme LED Conversion Kit TLE-5EX. What an improvement and what a great light now!

Then, I upgraded my TigerLight FBOP by installing a TerraLUX MiniStar 110S-MM. Although it was designed for the Streamlight SL20X, it works great in the TigerLight!

Finally, I upgraded an old incandescent Streamlight Stinger by upgrading to a TerraLUX MiniStar ST/XT TLE-ST1-EX. It seems brighter than the OEM Streamlight Stinger DS LED!

So, about the only thing left around here to upgrade is an old MagLite 3 D cell flashlight. I did upgrade to the MagLight LED upgrade a little while back, but there are now much better upgrades available.

Maybe some time I need to post a photograph of the lights and the beam shots of the Pelican 7060, Inova T4, TigerLight and both Stingers shining on my garage door!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Going Old School

old school? i have the mini maglite! :) those things run forever.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
How do you use it while running? Do you mount it onto a cap, or do you hold it in your hand? Do you leave it on always, or just when cars are nearby?

matlt

Newly Enlightened
I have a mini maglite in my bug out/camp bag as a back up. I still have a working fenix l1t and e0 that still works too

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

jamie.91

Enlightened
How do you use it while running? Do you mount it onto a cap, or do you hold it in your hand? Do you leave it on always, or just when cars are nearby?

In my hand! Where I go there is no cars and no light so I need it on constantly to see where I am going

Jamie

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
I've got a couple of old Stingers. One lives in a charger at work, the other at home. Both still get used from time to time!

nightshade

Enlightened
Tekna-Lite 2 (L222 lamp) to repair neighbors gas furnace this morning. Arc LSL-P this evening to walk the dog. The LSL is all original, and still one of my most used lights.

Taschenlampe Dude

Newly Enlightened
It's funny how some 'old school' lights listed are just several years old! For some perspective, I recently came across a 2-D cell Kel-lite which dates back to the late 70's!

Unfortunately, the tail cap is solidly frozen to the body.:oops: It might be fun to try and come up with an LED drop-in for it if I can manage to get the tail cap off somehow.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use some old school lights.
M3, 6P, M4, M6 (all Incan) magcharger, Inova T4, L2 and L4, U2, A2

They all work well, the M4 and M6 are some of my most used lights