USA Made, Long Throw, 18650 (or CR123A)

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light that meets the above criteria :)

Since I got my SureFire and HDS Systems lights, I am sticking to USA made lights.

Ideally $200 or under. Suggestions?

Last edited:

jondotcom

Enlightened
They'll close this thread in moments. Why don't you ask for a USA Made laptop recommendation too :).

BTW, "made" technically means "assembled with domestic and/or globally sourced components."

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff Hound Dog XPG or XML are both fine choices.
I don't think you can find any better light made anywhere.
Also check out the Wildcat if you like big flood.
And the MD2 Hi/Lo for a P60-size light.
All of them will take the lithium batteries such as 18650 or 18500, depending on the length of the battery tube you choose with the light.
Superb beam quality AND build quality
Made by Gene Malkoff in Alabama, and backed-up with the most legendary customer service that you probably will never need. But if you ever do, you won't find better customer service anywhere.
Top quality military/police grade lights that are rugged and reliable and have the best looking beams you've ever seen.

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
The Malkoff Hound Dog XPG or XML are both fine choices.
I don't think you can find any better light made anywhere.
Also check out the Wildcat if you like big flood.
And the MD2 Hi/Lo for a P60-size light.
All of them will take the lithium batteries such as 18650 or 18500, depending on the length of the battery tube you choose with the light.
Superb beam quality AND build quality
Made by Gene Malkoff in Alabama, and backed-up with the most legendary customer service that you probably will never need. But if you ever do, you won't find better customer service anywhere.
Top quality military/police grade lights that are rugged and reliable and have the best looking beams you've ever seen.

QFT.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
If only you would buy a light like the Olight M3X, ThruNite Catapult V3, Or Olight SR51, you would see how a real light for $150 or less can throw.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had the NEED for a good thrower, I'd definitely get a Malkoff Hound Dog. I have a Jetbeam BC40 that I bought only because I knew it wouldn't get much use. It's a good light, but I don't often require such a big light.

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for that comparison thread :)

Any data on runtime differences between the XP-G and the XM-L? Or is the XM-L just a straight improvement over the XP-G, just more expensive?

I'll look at Peak SR lights as well, cheers

EDIT: Peak LED's site doesn't list the SR series. Where can I get more info and possibly purchase one?

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
I am american, but when i comes to lights, I wouldn't really care what its nationality is:)

Surefire though, comes to mind, though a bit on the expensive side, if USA made doesn't matter, the Dereelight XR-E aspheric is good too.:)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for that comparison thread :)

Any data on runtime differences between the XP-G and the XM-L? Or is the XM-L just a straight improvement over the XP-G, just more expensive?

I'll look at Peak SR lights as well, cheers

EDIT: Peak LED's site doesn't list the SR series. Where can I get more info and possibly purchase one?

The Hound Dog XPG definitely has the edge in runtime, by a pretty good amount. The LED is driven much less than the XML.
The throw is about the same with both of them.
The difference is that the XML gives more flood with the throw, and so it is sort of a combination of a Hound Dog and a Wildcat.
I have the Hound Dog XPG. I find it throws very well, but the beam is narrow, so for me it is used as a thrower only. For all other uses, I use my Wildcat.
I have not purchased the XML Hound Dog because the run time is significantly lower than the XPG, or you have to put a longer battery tube on the XML to make up the difference, making it longer and less portable.
But if you are only going to buy one Malkoff, it is a viable choice which splits the different between the Hound Dog XPG and the Wilcat.
If you do get the XML, I recommend choosing the MD4 body and run it with a pair of hi-grade 18650 rechargeables of maybe 3100 mah capacity, and you can have a great combination light if you aren't fussy about it being a little bit long.

I have a lot of Malkoff lights, and I also have an HDS clicky, and I think the Malkoff is the perfect combination to add to handle the needs of a bigger light which the HDS EDC really can't handle as well.
You will flip when you handle this light. The quality is beautiful. It feels like you are holding a precision laboratory instrument or something.
You'll love it.

Last edited:

RiverRatMatt

Newly Enlightened
I am american, but when i comes to lights, I wouldn't really care what its nationality is:)

Surefire though, comes to mind, though a bit on the expensive side, if USA made doesn't matter, the Dereelight XR-E aspheric is good too.:)

I prefer to support companies that don't outsource, things with a smaller pricetag from China end up costing you much more. The quality of a USA made light is much higher as well, from my experience. The one 4Sevens light I bought is nothing short of unreliable.

The Hound Dog XPG definitely has the edge in runtime, by a pretty good amount. The LED is driven much less than the XML.
The throw is about the same with both of them.
The difference is that the XML gives more flood with the throw, and so it is sort of a combination of a Hound Dog and a Wildcat.
I have the Hound Dog XPG. I find it throws very well, but the beam is narrow, so for me it is used as a thrower only. For all other uses, I use my Wildcat.
I have not purchased the XML Hound Dog because the run time is significantly lower than the XPG, or you have to put a longer battery tube on the XML to make up the difference, making it longer and less portable.
But if you are only going to buy one Malkoff, it is a viable choice which splits the different between the Hound Dog XPG and the Wilcat.
If you do get the XML, I recommend choosing the MD4 body and run it with a pair of hi-grade 18650 rechargeables of maybe 3100 mah capacity, and you can have a great combination light if you aren't fussy about it being a little bit long.

I have a lot of Malkoff lights, and I also have an HDS clicky, and I think the Malkoff is the perfect combination to add to handle the needs of a bigger light which the HDS EDC really can't handle as well.
You will flip when you handle this light. The quality is beautiful. It feels like you are holding a precision laboratory instrument or something.
You'll love it.

That is exactly what I needed to know :) The XP-G is probably the rout I'll go, since my small lights have plenty of flood.
I'm fine with having a larger light body, the sacrifice in size and weight is worth the benefit for my application :D

I'll check out the Peak LED SR lights as well, but I'm hoping Malkoff makes some more of these soon!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I'd like to add about the Hound Dog XPG is that it does have a fair amount of short range spill which is pretty nice out to about 50 yards or so, and then the center of the beam continues to travel out to about 250 yards. So it can be fairly useful in short range situations as a general purpose light, but the hot spot is pretty bright.

Also, all of the Hound Dogs and Wildcats have the Hi/Lo level selector by a slight twist of the head, so you have 2 useful brightness selections. The "Lo" is more like a "Medium" and is somewhere around 50 lumens, which I find sufficient for basic flashlight use and that saves battery life too. The Hi/Lo function allows you to select brightness level before turning the light on, or after it is on, if that has any importance to you.
The bodies are all compatible with the 18mm type rechargeables, such as 18350 or 18500, or 18650, so they are all set for the high-capacity rechargeables. The MD2 could take a pair of 18350, and the MD3 could take a pair of 18500, and the MD4 can take a pair of 18650.
The tailcap is Surefire P compatible, so it can take most aftermarket tail caps for Surefire, and the Moddoo Triad fits it.
MD2, MD3, MD4, all come with a McClicky switch already, so it has the best switch available as OEM.
The reflector is a custom McGizmo reflector, and Don makes the best reflectors, so that's why Gene had Don design it.
This stuff is the best, IMO.
For the money you pay, it's a steal.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably need to look at the XML mag conversions offered in the "custom for sale forum" as well.