Meanwhile, on planet Earth, MS problems ...

Tomas

Banned
Microsoft today announced four new security problems. Read about it here on MSNBC.com

The MSNBC article starts:
[ QUOTE ]
IN PARTICULARLY EMBARRASSING disclosures,
Microsoft acknowledged problems in its technology
to authenticate software publishers over the Web
and in its Windows help and support system.

The company said it did not believe hackers were
yet exploiting any of the vulnerabilities it
announced.

Microsoft said last week it will begin issuing
monthly warnings and software patches, responding
to frustration from technology managers who must
apply sporadic patches each week across hundreds
of computers inside corporations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take care.

Chengiz

Enlightened
I received a security update advisory this morning, when I turned on this contraption, from microsoft. I thought it was a fancy spam and X'ed it out.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Thanks, now I'll have to go apologize or something.

Is there an oncoming virus or something?

Tomas

Banned
None noticible yet, but probably in the near future now that more security problems are becoming widely known.

I didn't really even bother to check to see if there were any updates covering the new problems - there was a mention in the article about some sort of 'combined update' that covered something like 22 different problems ...

I just figured that with the number of critical security updates in the last couple of months everyone who's MS software is still working knows how to find the updates.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't affect me, as I don't run Windows in native boot, and only in emulation. Even then I got the security update from MS for win98se. My OS is Mandrake Linux.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Doesn't affect me, as I don't run Windows in native boot, and only in emulation. Even then I got the security update from MS for win98se. My OS is Mandrake Linux.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even run in emulation? I don't miss Internet Exploder or Outlook (should be called LOOKOUT!). Happy as a clam running Redhat. Linux users also get updates, but we don't have to reboot... (unless it's a new Kernel).

I set up a small Linux server at work (Slackware) to do some DNS cache work, and a little Apache web serving- it's text-mode only and running on a machine that was too slow for Windows 2000. Of all the servers we have (more than a dozen Windows boxes) it has the longest uptime. The last time it was down was the last time we had a serious power outtage (that caused the UPS to shut down). It has NEVER crashed in the two years it has been running.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some program that are only available for Wondoze and Macintosh. Some very nice 3D CGI programs, which are within my interests are in this category. I have yet to see one in linux that lets you do a single frame with posable characters (people), props, and backgrounds, that does modeling. of course, I may be looking at the default view and not seeing much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have Poser 4 and it does not come in a linux version.

I have Solar Fire 5, which is a Professional Astrology program, written in Visual Basic Professional. That makes it Windows only. It is a very nice program, and my interests here are geophysical astrology. Kastrolog just does not make the cut here. If this were written in Borland Kylix/Delphi it would be easier.

I have Lotus Smartsuite and I love the way Lotus Word Pro does things. So easy to use and everything formats correctly. This is Windows Only. I wish IBM would compile a Linux version. Lotus Word Processing programs have been far superior to MS Word ever since Ami Pro for Win 3.1.

I don't want to use a word processor that does things the way MS Word does things (YUCK!).

I also have Visual Basic 6 Professional (pre .NYET!).

All of these run nicely in win4lin v4 w/win98se (real win98se).

Once I got stable hardware, I never had a problem with BSODs. Not even one BSOD with native boot win98se.

I went with linux for my online computer simply to get away from all those pesky windoze worms and viruses.

If I could get completely away from windows, I would.

You mentioned that you run slackware at work. I am disabled and at home most of the time. I don't have a network. I don't run those servers, cause I don't need them. I run X and KDE 3.1 (Galaxy theme). My comp is a desktop (though I detest that word, as the focus has been on business only).

I will be upgrading to win4lin version 5 for the software directX, just so I can play all of my video clips (quicktime and wondoze media player). Some of those don't play in linux.