So what do you use them for?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So here i'm wondering... a lot of you have quite a few lights, and even more than one for EDC (Every Day Carry). What do you do with all of them?

For example, take my case. My family used to have one big flashlight that sat on a bookcase where everyone knew where it was. It was rarely used, and ultimately the reflector corroded through, and the light was replaced with a newer model. We never even thought about having a flashlight in the car, let alone carrying a flashlight with us all the time.

Even now, all i have is a Solitaire i purchased two years ago because it looked cool, and which is still on its original battery and bulb. It stayed in my closet most of the time i had it, and only came out last year when i decided to put it in the car. Its been used precisely once since then, when i couldn't find my keys and used it to hunt around the driver's seat.

My point is, i live a pretty normal life and i've rarely felt the need for a flashlight, sure i'd have liked a nice bright spotlight at times, but ultimately i didn't need it. So what do you use it for?

Chengiz

Enlightened
I carry an LS-P in my pocket. If I am out at night I have a KL4 as well as the LS-P. It is hard to explain, but the convenience of these two items, ease of carry, leads to using them all the time. No not to torment the dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

I use the lights when I am reloading. I use them to read (restaurant and such). That is in my free time.

At work I carry an Streamlight Ultra stinger, the LS-P, The KL4, a Streamlight M3, and a photon or ARC triple A. Each has it's place and use. They are as natural to me as breathing. Where ever I go it is never dark......ever.

Imagine being on the subway when the lights went out back east. Think of all the friends you could have made. One never knows.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
My lights at work get used for a couple of hours every work night.

The lights in my car get used when I work on my car in the parking lot at work. That is where I do most of the maintenance on my car.

I gave away most of the lights I had at home. The ARC's on my key chains don't get used; they are there for just in case. I have a McLux that I don't need but I'll keep because it looks so cool. When I do need a flashlight to look for something (my apartment doesn't have very good lighting) I reach for the LGI.

I use a Streamlight Syclone to light up the display on my Concept 2 rower. The rower is pointed towards the patio and when I row at night I feel like I'm on display with the lights on. So off go the lights. The LED in the Syclone isn't very bright; it lights the display well but not the whole room.

I have a light in each room that is also there for 'just in case'.

The night lights in the kitchen and bathroom give off enough yellow (yech!) light to move around at night without needing a flashlight.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been a mechanic flashlights and me have a history I have a 1 million cp 12 volt spotlight in my boat,a 5 d cell M@G light in the truck as light and weapon, and flashlights all around the house. Normal EDC is a L4 or E2e, a photon II or ARC AAA on the keys.It all goes back to the scouts. (Be Prepared)

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use them in every situation when someone without a light has to reposition themslf to see better, or feel around under something, instead of looking under it.
It's never dark around me, either.

Besides use, we play with them! It's a hobby.

What I'm wondering, is why you're here, if you don't understand.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
What I'm wondering, is why you're here, if you don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Am i not welcome if i don't assimilate and spend at least a month's salary on flashlights?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you are totally welcome here. In fact, Welcome to CPF!

But I am wondering how you found this forum, and were interested enough to sign up, if you aren't interested in flashlights?

What did bring you here?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Mark, if you EDC a light, you WILL find uses for it somehow! Honestly, the times when you're looking for the keyhole to your car door or house lock, or when you just need to look behind or under a cupboard, you'll find that you are in fact, ready for it, instead of having to reach out for one in the next room or something!

I use my Arc AAA mostly for looking into PCs, unlocking the door when I get home late, or just looking for something in the car (its attached to my car keys). Then its usually my UKE 2L and my Pelican 3Led headlamp for a night hike, M@g 3D stays in the car under the seat permanently. I just recently started EDCing my E1e KL1 for those 'you never know' times. Others are mostly nightstand lights or those around the house when you need it kind of lights. So there you go... Oh, and I have just received my Ultra G from County Comm, great and rugged looking light.. I'll find a use for it soon somehow!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Well, OddOne posts (or used to post) a bit on www.genmay.net , and i found this forum then.

He really does amazing stuff.
*psst* i think he has a fetish for Luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that actually what Stanley said is true for me as well. When I have one with me, I find uses for it, that I would have done without before.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry where are my manners lol welcome to the forum Mark. When I first got here I was surprised at the popularity of "modding" lights, then I realized that I had started modding lights in the 80s when I felt that the stock light switch in my boat spotlight was a weak point and might benefit from a relay in the head to supply power with out going through the switch first.I wasn't satisfied with 1 million candlepower. I wanted more power(insert Tim Allen grunt here)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that the more lights I buy, the more uses I have for them. The Arc-AAA is for house and car locks in the night and trips to the john.
A Tigerlight for bumps in the night outside the house. The list goes on. I use them all and wonder how I did without them in years past.

hula

Newly Enlightened
I use my PM6 at work. For me it's most useful for re-wires in many capacities. I got it initially because it's just about the right size for a toolbox and when it's in its' incandescent form can really t-h-r-o-w. I find sometimes though it's a little to bright in LED module form for close up work and I end up dazzling myself. I switch to my ARC AAA then.
I will take this light or my SNII or Blaster VI out with me if I take my mates dog out for him. But I consider these last two too nice to spoil by using them at work.
I think I purchased all of these light because they represent uniqueness in their categories and in this respect they've not disappointed.

Hula.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark-

Welcome to the light, it's time you got out of the darkness. Alot of people fumble their lives without light, get a new, small, bright light. Carry it everyday for 10 days (no cheating) and all of a sudden you won't know how you went without one.

GregR

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use my Arc AAA predominantly around the house.. it's just convenient when i need to go to the bathroom without disturbing other ppl in rooms close to the bathroom.. and trips down into the basement all but require me to bring it down with me..
altho i've even used it to walk thru the woods when i got stranded at a friend's house and had to walk home.. it was actually pretty good at helping me see where i was going.. it just doesn't throw far enough tho.. i'd hear a snap out in the woods and i'd pick up my pace.. y'know, in case it was a bear..

i use a Princeton Tec40 for hiking.. altho it's seen tons more applications.. most recently, an unfortunate neighbor of mine had her car roll back into the woods bordering these apartments when she forgot to put her parking brake on.. *sigh* i found her car and had to break her the bad news.. the PT40 was crucial in freeing the car when the tow-truck arrived.. haha. i also found it handy using my spotlight that night..

i keep a Pelican Mitylite 2AAA in my car now.. it's nice and small and puts out a better light than a minimag.. i use that one quite a bit.. again, it has a ton of practical uses.. you really just find them as time passes..

then i have my Brinkmann Legend LX.. the bulb has been missing in it for quite awhile now.. but when i was still using it, it provided a stunning amount of light.. i remember a couple occasions when i had turned it on in front of groups of ppl and seeing jaws drop and eyes squint.. it really is a light that puts out a lot of light.. if you see something in the woods, is that someone sneaking around the parking lot?? y'know, it's comforting..

i guess i find all my flashlights comforting.. i used to be kinda helpless now that i think about it.. flashlights kinda expand your domain..

Myctophobic

Newly Enlightened
Generally, the only light I carry is a keyring light (Photon II or Arc AAA, depending on which set of keys I have on me). I use it to find keyholes, get the mail, or look for things I have dropped. They are very handy, don't cost much, well, at least the Photon lights don't.

I use the other lights for the same kinds of things you mentioned in your post. I just got tired of that cheap flashlight in the drawer or garage not working when it was needed. Better lights are like any tool -- if it is of good quality, it will make your life easier. If not, you are often better off without it at all. Could I live without them? Of course. Do I spend a month's pay on them? No. There are good lights out there that don't cost much more than the poor quality ones most people have.

Welcome to the forum. Look around and find a good light in a price range acceptable to you. Buy it and compare it to the typical light everyone has in a kitchen drawer. Once you see what a flashlight is supposed to do, you will be surprised at how often you use it.

Heath

P.S. I thought everyone had a flashlight of some sort in their car. I have, at least ever since the first time I had car trouble at night.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
My brother is a mechanic at a Mazda dealership. I just came back from having him rotate my tires and change my oil.

I gave him an LGI for Father's day. I assumed it would be a light he would use at home. Wrong! It's his work light. He still uses a drop-light when he needs to use both hands but the LGI gets used for inspections. He really likes the brightness and color.

My Dad sells houses. I gave him an E2E-SG that he uses to look into attics and basements. Light-years better then the cheap-o-plastic thing he was using.

My parents are ushers at a couple theaters downtown (Detroit). They seat people and then get to watch the play for free. I gave them Stylus' for reading tickets and MiniMag/MadMax's for when they need something brighter.

My family thinks I'm nuts with my flashlight obsession but I'm slowly making them into flashaholics.

I've given everyone in my family an LED of one kind or another.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Mark Larson
One of the things I use my lights for is to inspect the engines before departing St Paul or St James. I also have to make sure the whistle works so I can wake you up when I go through Mankato. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
Welcome to CPF

ksbman
I bet you wouldn't eat a steak in front of a starving man either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

WolfEyes

Newly Enlightened
1) Theres a light under my bed so I can see where to walk.

2) The light in my car saved me yesterday since my broke down in the evening. Who can look at the motor in darkness?

3) I work for the german THW (~civil protection/honorary post). One light is fixed to my helmet so I do not need to carry the bulky standard lights with me.

3) There is a Wolf-Eyes 9TX with me which leads me through dark places (e.g. parking lots) and which I use for defense (at night).

onelight

Enlightened
welcome Mark, Three of my lights I carry and use at work L1 Arc LS & AAA,a few others I bought for camping one is a companion for my pistol but most I have cause I enjoy them I give them as gifts and just like to mess with them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif