Return my TK35?

JohnnyUtah

Newly Enlightened
Similar to many people on this forum, I'm one of those guys who does a ton a research in choosing the right product. I've been reading into flashlights for the last month (thanks CPF for giving me the bug) and so far have purchased these lights for these reasons:

TK35: initial purchase based off of Amazon reviews, but prior to understanding the hazard of multiple lithium ion batteries

PA40 with a set of eneloops: for the girlfriend that I don't want to blow up

SC600: best (so far) all-around single 18650 flashlight

Still trying to find the safest, yet practical, 18650's and charger. Will likely end up purchasing AW 2900's (tried and true batteries for the SC600) or EagleTac 3100's with a Pila IBC charger.

Since I won't be able to try it out before receiving some batteries, my questions are:
Should I return my TK35? Does the TK35 do anything notably better than the SC600 that can compensate for the drastic increase in size and multiple cr123/18650's?

I'm leaning towards returning the TK35, and shop for a real thrower, if I can get past the idea of holding a functional pipe bomb in my hands...and near my goods.

Thoughts? Be kind...first post.

mishu.daniel

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the SC600 but I have the SL6 from Spark which is more or less the same. SC600 is a pure EDC, TK35 isn't. If you understand that TK35 is not an EDC then the following advantages make TK35 a very good deal:
1. More run time (2x18650)
2. Better throw
3. Same price

And with regards to your concern, multiple lithium is not so dangerous unless you use unprotected batteries or use them in parallel. TK35 is using them is series. Moreover if you feel safer then buy AW IMR, these are different chemistry, lithium and magnesium, which are considerably safer.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww come on, the TK35's not gonna explode. I've been using mine for several months with Panasonic 2900 and 3100 cells, and these are unprotected cells! If you let the light run extremely hot (hot to even hold) then yes, it could turn into a pipe bomb and take out your arm to the elbow and maybe some body parts too. I hold mine close to the head so i can feel it getting warm, when it gets too hot i switch it to a lower mode or turn the light off completely and use my alternate light (BC25).

bottom line: do not abuse your light.

sure there are better throwers out there, but are they as small as the TK35?

And you cant compare the TK35 to the SC600 as it is like comparing an apple to an orange. they aren't the same.

each light has its pro's and con's so it just boils down to what you are looking for in a light.

if you are unhappy with the TK35, then by all means, return it.

as a flashaholic, each light i own either puts a smile or a grin on my face. i'm sure lots of you here can relate. happy collector here! <--- :)