Nitecore Extreme XM-L

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
Should I mod my Nitecore Extreme XR-E? I keep checking back here to see if there is something that will blow away the Extreme's throw. I thought the PC-10, Mac EDC or Gavina might be what I was looking for but the Extreme's 26mm head leads me to believe I would be better off mod'ing the Extreme. Mac's 18350 Deep Head looks like it might be worth upping the size I prefer to edc but I don't see any pictures comparing it in size to his XM-L EDC or any reviews on it. I know he lists the length but seeing them pictured side by side would help determine if it could be carried in a front pocket. Also for that kind of money I might want to instead add a 2000 lumen light to my line up.

There was an older post
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312704-Nitecore-SR3-XML
where zs&tashttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?62001-zs-amp-tas commented on AmperSand's Nitecore SR3 XML thread. zs&tas said the extreme's mod was easy and ampersand didn't give many more details on the sr3. Stephen Wallace made a comment on
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...els-PA10-PA20-PC10-PC20&p=3846348#post3846348 that when he overlays the extreme xr-e and pc-10 xm-l he can see the xr-e. Is this mod worth it?

If it is can anyone do a walk through on replacing the Extreme's XR-E to the XM-L?

Where do I obtain the XM-L?
Are there bins to avoid?
What type of soldering iron?
What type of solder?
What else would I need?

Thank you guys and do all wives hate this site? Was just informed I have been on cpf for 5 hours.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination supply sells good quality XML , Kaidomain is another good source.
As for bins, brightest is a U2bin, t6 is the cool white standard.
As got soldering, I don't know how so unless there's a modding by steps thread I wouldn't attempt it.

Flucero28

Enlightened
The XRE gives a more narrow/focused beam for good throw. The XML will give a very wide/diffused beam for a floody beam. Even though the XML will put out more lumens, the hotspot of the XRE will still appear "brighter" because it focuses most of the light into the hotspot. If your after a thrower the XML will most likely disappoint you.

Frank

Edit: the only emitter I can think of that may offer a bit more throw the the XRE is the Cree XPC due to its smaller die size.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi agian, it is an easy mod but it will prob end up like mine which is all flood. i keep thinking about buying another as sometimes i miss the throw, and these lights are great i wouldnt mind having two or three ! it does make an awsome walking light, camp light, room sweeper though as the light is so even and wide and you are not blinded by the central spot you get a big viewing angle.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I have a triple XML and while it's super bright and floody, my 5 * XR-E R2 is narrower and brighter (at least the hotspot). See my previous post on the Triple XML vs 5 * XR-E R2 beam shots.

jalibass

Newly Enlightened
So keep waiting huh? Nothing in that size range with wayyyy more throw?